Sponsored

Stirring the pot, but why do people list their transmission?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If you're at a meet (and not in/around your car), and you're talking about what you drive, do you mention the transmission directly proceeding the year, make, model of what you have?
I don't go to Cs&Cs to look at, or discuss, my car.

I'm there to look at vehicles I'm not already intimately familiar with, and talk all sorts of other topics with aquaintences.
Sponsored

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Usually when a millennial or younger person walks up to check out my car, I get the “it’s a manual too” out of them.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Only real question I ever get is "Is that a 5.0?!?! Nice!" I've started looking at the badge we're usually standing next to when/if I answer, you know, the badge that says 5.0...

Transmission question has only been asked once and from a GT350 owner who probably wanted to experience the A10.

I put my transmission in my signature sarcastically just like the fuel and oil used and the tire situation.

Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
If you note in most of the threads around here, it's always an auto guy making a deal... So, I ask who is the problem with stirring this up? It's obvious to me.

Manual guy "I have a 6 spd"

Auto guy = triggered

Kinda like the ecoboost people when dealing with coyote people... Not sure why people keep caring about this topic.
I get the opposite. I get backhanded comments and insults the second they realize it's auto. Then I need to defend my decision like I've created a complete sin in getting an auto muscle car. Not sure why the manual folk need to start putting down ones manhood the minute they drive an auto car. FYI, its the 2nd auto car I've owned through a sea of manuals. I grew up no-lift power shifting 5.0L fox bodies.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I get the opposite. I get backhanded comments and insults the second they realize it's auto. Then I need to defend my decision like I've created a complete sin in getting an auto muscle car. Not sure why the manual folk need to start putting down ones manhood the minute they drive an auto car. FYI, its the 2nd auto car I've owned through a sea of manuals. I grew up no-lift power shifting 5.0L fox bodies.
Sounds like you should find better people to hang out with.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Most "non-car people" don't even know a 10 speed auto even exists. They will ask if it's a GT, then I get "the look" when I say no, it's a turbo 4 with 10 speed automatic, they are happy. I'm sure they don't know why.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
definitely some people talk down on auto. i used to be one of them when i was younger, though admittedly it was mostly in jest and just bustin balls. i prefer manual but both have their place and quite legitimate reasons for preferring one over the other. anyone who takes personal offense at someone else's transmission choice needs a reality and maturity check. same with ecoboost vs gt vs shelby. you can make anything fast if you have the coin. some people only want 300 hp and that's fine. if someone really wants to hate on an EB for not being a V8, or one trans over the other, just remind them that those extra cars sold help keep the car alive and keep development and improvements coming down the line. 300+ hp in a 4 cyl and the fuel economy was unheard of 30 years ago. hell, my 95 5.0 dynoed 187 rwhp stock. an EB S550 would destroy that and get 30+mpg, ha!

Sponsored

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
At the few C&C's that I have been to no one has ever mentioned the transmission in any of my cars. I would get a few that would say "that's got the 5.0? I bet it's quick." And that would normally be the older gentleman. I guess in the Bay Area people are more car savvy. Even with my Skyline no one would ask the engine or trans, they knew it was.

But next time someone asks about the Boxster I'll just tell em it's an 01 986 with a G86/20

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
And we basically let the car drive for us :like:
You auto boys need to take the Touring Test. Freaking robots!

Really though, I had a ton of fun test driving the A10. I would have been happy with that choice too.

I mean Manual Man RAWR!!!! Auto bad!! Auto the worst evar!!!

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Doesn't matter if the music is played using an MT or AT, both have their characteristic influence on the tone.

Only real question I ever get is "Is that a 5.0?!?! Nice!" I've started looking at the badge we're usually standing next to when/if I answer, you know, the badge that says 5.0...

Transmission question has only been asked once and from a GT350 owner who probably wanted to experience the A10.

I put my transmission in my signature sarcastically just like the fuel and oil used and the tire situation.
Well I once had someone in the city ask me if that's a 2.0 or 5.0.
Question was answered when traffic light hit green.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
But the Ecoboost is a 2.3...
Most likely he had no idea about it being a V8. Or maybe he could not distinguish a 2 from a 5.
I should make a sticker saying "Not a 2.0, look at the fender" or find some of these 1932 ford hubcaps
1625609617148.png
Sponsored