Sponsored

Steering sticking when turning left

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
I have an intermittent problem. When on curvy roads the steering feels like it’s binding or sticking in left hand curves. Only when left.

It feels like you turn on Sport mode steering then turn mid turn it goes to comfort then back to sport. Your hand will actually jerk the wheel to the left because the effort goes to almost 0. Then when coming out of the turn the wheel doesn’t want to return to straight. You will have to pull it back right and then it pulls hard back straight to the point you are correcting it back left.

It does not do it on the interstate and I can’t replicate it consistently. I have got it to do it when going through redlight intersections and turning left at a speed above 15 MPH.

Anyone had this?
Sponsored

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
I have an intermittent problem. When on curvy roads the steering feels like it’s binding or sticking in left hand curves. Only when left.

It feels like you turn on Sport mode steering then turn mid turn it goes to comfort then back to sport. Your hand will actually jerk the wheel to the left because the effort goes to almost 0. Then when coming out of the turn the wheel doesn’t want to return to straight. You will have to pull it back right and then it pulls hard back straight to the point you are correcting it back left.

It does not do it on the interstate and I can’t replicate it consistently. I have got it to do it when going through redlight intersections and turning left at a speed above 15 MPH.

Anyone had this?
I also have this, and its something that I've unfortunately am living with due to it being something that a dealership will most likely say they couldn't replicate.

OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
I also have this, and its something that I've unfortunately am living with due to it being something that a dealership will most likely say they couldn't replicate.
It’s pretty scary really.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Have either of you had your car aligned?

If so, do you know for sure that the steering angle sensor was reset?

I suppose it's possible for an SAS that's going bad to throw intermittent difficulties.

Norm

OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
I had mine done right after my AirLift install but it also happened before that. I do not know if they reset the steering angle sensor.

Sponsored

captainGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT,2017 Corvette Grand Sport
My wife's 15GT has done that since day one. It does not bother her but the occasional times I drive the car it really bugs me.
Mentioned it to our Ford dealer a few years ago, they couldn't duplicate the problem and that was the end of that conversation.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Have either of you had your car aligned?

If so, do you know for sure that the steering angle sensor was reset?

I suppose it's possible for an SAS that's going bad to throw intermittent difficulties.

Norm
I believe this phenomenon to be alignment related. I remember mine did it right off the dealer lot when brand new but I had it on an alignment rack almost immediately for an autox alignment. Seemed like any time the rear toe got out of whack the car would do the steering hang thing on left hand sweepers.

It might also be related to rear subframe alignment. At the end of that first autox season with the car I went beyond stock prep levels and since then have not had this steering hang issue again. I'm lowered with much stiffer than stock springs and take care that the car is well aligned, including the rear subframe.

I never did let the dealer look at this.

zahimrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zahi
Vehicle(s)
GT PP 2015
Hi. I know this is an old thread but have you been able to solve this issue?
It's driving me crazy because my alignment is spot on and I have been dealing with this issue for a long time since I bought it (2nd hand so idk if it happened since new).

When I take sharp left turns at low speeds, the front tires feel uncontrolled/floaty and the car would understeer and even shirp sometimes.... I was thinking that my issue could be with the differential or the half shafts not performing properly when taking a sharp left turn or maybe the steering rack but I don't have any codes on dash.
However, now that I found this thread I will look into resetting the steering angle sensor if that could be the culprit.(I hope so)

OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
For me it was the camber on the left m, front. Ford lied when they did the alignment. They “adjusted” it to -1.6 or so but when they put it back on the rack it was -2.7 in the driver and -1.8 on the passenger. They adjusted it out as far as they could, below -2 and it fixed the issue.

I need to get camber bolts though as the AirLift struts don’t have enough adjustment to take the camber out.

aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
Has anyone been able to get this issue fixed?
Sponsored