Sponsored

Steering rack speed

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
A friend who has a Boss 302 and loves it says the one thing he wishes he could change is the steering speed (his car has a lot of suspension work). The steering is a lot of work at Auto-X (he is very competitive in SCCA) and is significantly more slow compared to his STI (the steering, not his times in the 302!!!)

Do we know if Ford is quickening the rack in the GT PP (or S550 GT in general)? Driving the Focus and Fiesta ST I got the feeling the rack was wonderfully quick - not comparing those cars with the S550 of course!!!

PS - I cant wait for the car to arrive. I find myself running out of steam on 6G, lol.
Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I know in the '13-14 models with Track Apps you have to have the firmest steering setting when you take Advance Track and Traction Control off which I'm assuming your buddy does for Auto-X

Hoping the '15 allows you to choose Track Mode and also adjust the steering feel via the toggles but I do not know if it will lock you in or not to a specific setting.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I know in the '13-14 models with Track Apps you have to have the firmest steering setting when you take Advance Track and Traction Control off which I'm assuming your buddy does for Auto-X

Hoping the '15 allows you to choose Track Mode and also adjust the steering feel via the toggles but I do not know if it will lock you in or not to a specific setting.
He is talking about the steering ratio.. not heft.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Well then, my bad disregard :headbonk:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The steering ratio for the S197 was 15.8:1. According to specs on this forum the S550 ratio is 16:1. Sounds like it's slower than the old car, but that car had a single ball joint front suspension whereas the S550 has a dual ball joint front suspension. This means the angle at which the steering rack moves the front steering knuckle(and front wheels) can be altered to the engineer's desire. Since the car isn't out yet I can only speculate that the effective ratio will be just as quick or slightly quicker than the previous car, however won't be as quick as say older sports cars like the E90 M3(13.5:1). Funny to note however that the new M3 has also slowed it's steering ratio to something closer to the S550 Mustang.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
What does that steering ratio number mean? How is it calculated? Is it the number of steering wheel turns that would be required to turn the front wheels 360 degrees or something like that?

Edit: thanks google!
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering2.htm

-T

Same concept as the rear ring gear, the number of teeth on the input gear versus the teeth on the output gear. However the steering rack ratio is only part of the equation because the engineers can manipulate how the rack connects to the steering knuckles changing the effective steering effect.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Would think if nothing else the smaller diameter steering wheel should help a little...

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
Would think if nothing else the smaller diameter steering wheel should help a little...

I agree the previous steering wheel was ginormous and rather dated compared to the all new s550's steering wheel !!

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Is there no aftermarket quicker steering rack for the S197?

I don't care as much what the factory puts in, as long as the aftermarket supplies the option.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The steering ratio for the S197 was 15.8:1. According to specs on this forum the S550 ratio is 16:1. Sounds like it's slower than the old car, but that car had a single ball joint front suspension whereas the S550 has a dual ball joint front suspension. This means the angle at which the steering rack moves the front steering knuckle(and front wheels) can be altered to the engineer's desire. Since the car isn't out yet I can only speculate that the effective ratio will be just as quick or slightly quicker than the previous car, however won't be as quick as say older sports cars like the E90 M3(13.5:1). Funny to note however that the new M3 has also slowed it's steering ratio to something closer to the S550 Mustang.
Holy guac, that's a slow ratio. I really hope that's not the case.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
Does the matter of having selectable steering modes have anything to do with responsiveness? It is an electric power steer. Does it adjust firmness and responsiveness versus softer/ slower steering?

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Does the matter of having selectable steering modes have anything to do with responsiveness? It is an electric power steer. Does it adjust firmness and responsiveness versus softer/ slower steering?
It shouldn't. Electric power-assisted steering (EPS or EPAS) is just a form of steering boost to reduce the amount of effort it takes to turn the wheel. The different settings should increase or decrease the steering weight. That might have an impact in steering feel and/or responsiveness, but those are typically depend far more on other factors.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
It shouldn't. Electric power-assisted steering (EPS or EPAS) is just a form of steering boost to reduce the amount of effort it takes to turn the wheel. The different settings should increase or decrease the steering weight. That might have an impact in steering feel and/or responsiveness, but those are typically depend far more on other factors.
That's what I thought... used to the typical hydraulic... constant firmness which I like... the Audi has a much stiffer feel but there are times that I wish the steering felt softer... let's say you messed up your hand or something or for this matter shifting....... never had a car with selectable steering