Steering pinion shaft play

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’ve noticed some clunking noises during slow turns. I verified all suspension and steering bolts are tight.

While inspecting, I noticed excessive play on the steering pinion shaft. I haven’t hit any curbs or potholes, etc. The car has 10,xxx miles.

While it’s not very common, I have seen a few rack and pinions like this over the years. I have an appointment at a dealership, hopefully they replace the rack and pinion without a fight.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AceS550

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Unfortunately my car is still at the dealership. They want to replace the strut mounts first. I was told they were backordered and then when it did show up the parts were wrong. I showed them the video but they didn’t seem to care. It’s frustrating but I’m probably going to have to try a different dealership when I get the car back.

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Unfortunately my car is still at the dealership. They want to replace the strut mounts first. I was told they were backordered and then when it did show up the parts were wrong. I showed them the video but they didn’t seem to care. It’s frustrating but I’m probably going to have to try a different dealership when I get the car back.
Dam I’m sorry to hear that man, I hope it gets resolved soon! I appreciate the response, if and when you get the steering rack fixed can you let me know if that fixes your issue. Also do you have any issue or sloppiness in your steering either in slow or fast speeds? I have play in the pinion too but I’m experiencing a numbness in my steering no matter what steering mode I’m in. Almost feels like there’s no feedback and I tend to have to keep playing with the steering to keep it straight.

OP
OP
AceS550

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have a little play that is felt in the steering wheel, but it’s not enough for the typical non-caring techs to notice. I also have clunking sounds on slow sharp turns. Your situation sounds worse, have you checked your tie rods and control arm bushings for play/damage?

Sponsored

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a little play that is felt in the steering wheel, but it’s not enough for the typical non-caring techs to notice. I also have clunking sounds on slow sharp turns. Your situation sounds worse, have you checked your tie rods and control arm bushings for play/damage?
I had taken it to a shop and they checked all my suspension components and said there was nothing out of the ordinary. All bushings and tie rods were good. I had gotten new tires mounted and alignment done. They test drove it and could feel the issue in the steering but said they couldn’t pin point why. So my automatic assumption was the electric steering, I assumed maybe something was loose so when I checked I had wiggle in the pinion like in your video.

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
One thing to note is my yoke did seem to have damage like something hit it but I’m not sure what or how it happened

22BECAF6-7970-47EC-851B-CCE7ED40500A.jpeg

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
How could I pinpoint if it’s the pinion or the eps belt? I’m assuming to replace the belt I’d have to remove the whole eps unit?
You do not need to remove the eps unit just unbolt the cover. Some people prefer to disconnect the passenger side tie rod but you don’t have to

image.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
AceS550

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Got my car back today. The dealership replaced both strut mounts and bearings. So far so good.

Mercelino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mercelino
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I’ve noticed some clunking noises during slow turns. I verified all suspension and steering bolts are tight.

While inspecting, I noticed excessive play on the steering pinion shaft. I haven’t hit any curbs or potholes, etc. The car has 10,xxx miles.

While it’s not very common, I have seen a few rack and pinions like this over the years. I have an appointment at a dealership, hopefully they replace the rack and pinion without a fight.

Mercelino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mercelino
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I have the same problem with my 2016 mustang gt. What was the solution to resolve the priblem?