Sponsored

Steering Wheel Play

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
Hello All,
With the car not running there is like a 1 inch play both ways. I have new inner and outer control arms installed. When driving the car doesnt drift or pull when I brake either. I looked in the engine bay and tightened that torx screw on the shaft but there is still the loose feel. Is there anything else I need to look for? Should I see if the nut inside the steering wheel is loose? Thank you in advance My car has 130 k miles and its the original steering rack and pinion too. @ 2015 mustang gt premium

blake
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost Orange Fury, 2011 F-150 XL
this just happened to me on my F-150. the joints were worn out on my lower steering shaft. replaced the shaft easily and there's no more play in my steering wheel.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
Have someone else wiggle the wheel while you look for the culprit. Or a camera will do if you are solo. Don't just tighten shit guessing as you may damage really expensive things inadvertantly.

OP
OP

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
Thank you Johnny! That was stupid of me to attempt to tighten bolts. I will either have my wife turn the steering wheel while I have it jacked up this weekend.

OP
OP

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
this just happened to me on my F-150. the joints were worn out on my lower steering shaft. replaced the shaft easily and there's no more play in my steering wheel.
Hey did you replace the shaft with a Ford OE part or some after market one? I have become pretty good mechanically so I will do it myself. I will look on youtube for a replace video.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost Orange Fury, 2011 F-150 XL
Hey did you replace the shaft with a Ford OE part or some after market one? I have become pretty good mechanically so I will do it myself. I will look on youtube for a replace video.
I used the Dorman equivalent.

OP
OP

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
DId you do it or had a shop do it? Ive been looking on youtube for a install video but nothing for the s550. If you have a step by step install it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your response and help

OP
OP

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
Hello All,
With the car not running there is like a 1 inch play both ways. I have new inner and outer control arms installed. When driving the car doesnt drift or pull when I brake either. I looked in the engine bay and tightened that torx screw on the shaft but there is still the loose feel. Is there anything else I need to look for? Should I see if the nut inside the steering wheel is loose? Thank you in advance My car has 130 k miles and its the original steering rack and pinion too. @ 2015 mustang gt premium

blake
Hello All,
I jacked up the car today and grapped the steering wheel staff and rotated it and heard noise at the rack in pinion connection. Is this the whole steering shaft or just the lower portion? Anybody have a install for this?

OP
OP

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
id replace the outer tie rod ends first. much easier and cheaper.
i used these
IMG_7702.png
I replaced the inner and outer tie rods. It is the rod that sticks out of the rack that connects to the steering shaft. I got under neath the car and placed my hand on the lower shaft and rotated it back in forth and I was hearing noise from the steering rack
Sponsored