IS $5500 PPF worth it GT350 ????

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Has anybody done ppf on the carbon wheels?
Not sure you can do that because of the heat than can be produced from the brakes. And it would be a lot of work fitting around all the curves of the spokes. But they certainly put ceramic coating on them.
Sponsored

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
So I made my first call today about getting PPF done. Studio A in Louisville KY. They guy told me that if I expel the matte stripes on the front that they would be a noticeably different color black than on the roof and the back of the car. He also said that in order to do the stripes properly that he would want to remove all the stripes and lay down new ones that are expel stripes. That seemed weird to me as I haven't heard anyone else talk about having their stripes redone on here. Thoughts anyone?

I really want to just get the front and quarter panels done. Has anyone else done this with matte stripe R?

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
So I made my first call today about getting PPF done. Studio A in Louisville KY. They guy told me that if I expel the matte stripes on the front that they would be a noticeably different color black than on the roof and the back of the car. He also said that in order to do the stripes properly that he would want to remove all the stripes and lay down new ones that are expel stripes. That seemed weird to me as I haven't heard anyone else talk about having their stripes redone on here. Thoughts anyone?

I really want to just get the front and quarter panels done. Has anyone else done this with matte stripe R?
Find another installer. A good quality PPF shop should have no problems doing individual strips over the matte stripes. Here is my car with XPEL Stealth over the stock matte stripes.

IMG_1571.jpg
thumbnail.jpg
B2538A9F-F1DC-4DF4-9A68-CD566BB50175.jpg

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Find another installer. A good quality PPF shop should have no problems doing individual strips over the matte stripes. Here is my car with XPEL Stealth over the stock matte stripes.

IMG_1571.jpg
thumbnail.jpg
that is one sexy car.. love the group photo as well...

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

I would go somewhere else. Normally they are able to do it over the top. The only exception some shops have made is that they will cut around the stripes to ovoid the overlap of the seams...

Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB

The right way to do it is to put the stripe over the ppf. You can put it over the stripe but you may have issues at the edges. Also, if you ever want/need to remove the stripe you would have to have the ppf redone.

Mr. Met

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
How does that protect the stripes?
It doesn't. The stripes are vinyl not paint. You can absolutely put the ppf over vinyl stripes, xpel even says so on their faq's. The problem is, as they also point out, you can have issues because of the hard edge between the paint and the vinyl. Also, you couldn't remove the stripes with out having to replace all the ppf that was on top of it. I have heard of some places cutting around the stripes. I dont know how that looks but, I guess like anything, it would depend on the quality of the install.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
It doesn't. The stripes are vinyl not paint. You can absolutely put the ppf over vinyl stripes, xpel even says so on their faq's. The problem is, as they also point out, you can have issues because of the hard edge between the paint and the vinyl. Also, you couldn't remove the stripes with out having to replace all the ppf that was on top of it. I have heard of some places cutting around the stripes. I dont know how that looks but, I guess like anything, it would depend on the quality of the install.
Have you looked at how much the stripes cost from Ford to replace? They're easily subjected to rock chips just as much as the paint is. To me it makes no sense to remove the stripes, PPF the car, then add new stripes on top that are going to be unprotected.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I am paying to have Ceramic Pro 9H 5 coats total for $1299 lifetime. Takes two days. Good luck

Mr. Met

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
Have you looked at how much the stripes cost from Ford to replace? They're easily subjected to rock chips just as much as the paint is. To me it makes no sense to remove the stripes, PPF the car, then add new stripes on top that are going to be unprotected.
I didn't buy my stripes from Ford (and wouldn't) so I have no idea. Vinyl is not going to chip like paint, that doesn't even make sense.

I dont know why you are trying to argue with me, I am not trying to convince you to do it that way. I wasn't even responding to you. Xpel says its fine to put their ppf over vinyl. They, and most good shops, just recommended you dont.

https://www.xpel.com/faq

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX

IMG_1571.jpg
thumbnail.jpg
Looks good. Is there ppf on the roof stripe and back side too? Also how did they do the red accent part?

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Looks good. Is there ppf on the roof stripe and back side too? Also how did they do the red accent part?
Ya all the stripes have Xpel Stealth and the car is full Xpel PPF. They basically run the regular PPF up until the end of the red pinstripes, then the matte stripes are covered with stealth. It's a tedious process but again the stripes can get damaged so personally for me it makes sense to protect them as well.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Those wrap guys sure have a ratchet going.
Sponsored