Steeda Adjustable Differential Bushing Review

S550BackInBlack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium, Performance Pack, 6MT
I have just installed the RED bushings after previously installing the BLACK bushings and wanted to post my experience with both. I started with the black ones because I was sick of the wheel hop I was experiencing. I already have Steeda subframe support braces, Steeda IRS subframe bushing support system, Steeda alignment dowels, and Steeda Sport Springs, but still experienced severe wheel hop on the stock Performance Pack wheels/tires. I want to say with the BLACK bushings I had 99% eliminated my wheel hop issue. The only down side was the gear whine I could hear in the cabin. In my car it was too much. I have stock exhaust with a Lethal Performance resonator delete H pipe. I swapped to the RED bushings today and have 90% wheel hop eliminated with only about 25% of the gear whine present. A cat back will mask the RED bushings whine. For what it's worth I completely understand the trade off you accept when installing these types of parts. Noise, NVH, and other undesirable phenomena that go along with Race Car. I am completely satisfied with the RED bushings and the price for the kit is awesome. This is a great product and it does exactly what it advertises. It is not my intent to bash Steeda by ANY means. I just want to share my findings with the BLACK bushings. Here is a video of the BLACK bushing whine on the freeway at about 65-70 MPH.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rya...A956568D-5277-4913-81F7-3505347B748D.mp4.html

So basically if you track your car and don't care about whine, BLACK is for you. Hence the "Race" name associated with it. If you enjoy a quieter cabin with 90% of the effectiveness of the "Race" bushings, use the RED "Street" bushings. Common sense, or so it seems.
Sponsored

Last edited:

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
Great to see your thoughts on both. I just ordered mine a couple of days ago. I'm almost thinking the exhaust on my ecoboost well drown out the whine of the black bushings but I'll have to see, I watched the video on my phone.

OP
OP
S550BackInBlack

S550BackInBlack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Great to see your thoughts on both. I just ordered mine a couple of days ago. I'm almost thinking the exhaust on my ecoboost well drown out the whine of the black bushings but I'll have to see, I watched the video on my phone.
For what it's worth, I'm sure most all of the gear sets leave ford set to similar tolerances but some may whine more than others. You might use the black ones and experience almost nothing. So I can completely understand how I may have whine while others don't hear crap. With the ecoboost you have a different gear set so u might not hear as much as the 3.73's. With the red ones it's practically nothing.

Either way, you will love the way the car feels after u install the bushing inserts!

Sponsored

OP
OP
S550BackInBlack

S550BackInBlack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
If it happened right after you installed these, yes.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I have just installed the RED bushings after previously installing the BLACK bushings and wanted to post my experience with both. I started with the black ones because I was sick of the wheel hop I was experiencing. I already have Steeda subframe support braces, Steeda IRS subframe bushing support system, Steeda alignment dowels, and Steeda Sport Springs, but still experienced severe wheel hop on the stock Performance Pack wheels/tires. I want to say with the BLACK bushings I had 99% eliminated my wheel hop issue. The only down side was the gear whine I could hear in the cabin. In my car it was too much. I have stock exhaust with a Lethal Performance resonator delete H pipe. I swapped to the RED bushings today and have 90% wheel hop eliminated with only about 25% of the gear whine present. A cat back will mask the RED bushings whine. For what it's worth I completely understand the trade off you accept when installing these types of parts. Noise, NVH, and other undesirable phenomena that go along with Race Car. I am completely satisfied with the RED bushings and the price for the kit is awesome. This is a great product and it does exactly what it advertises. It is not my intent to bash Steeda by ANY means. I just want to share my findings with the BLACK bushings. Here is a video of the BLACK bushing whine on the freeway at about 65-70 MPH.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rya...A956568D-5277-4913-81F7-3505347B748D.mp4.html

So basically if you track your car and don't care about whine, BLACK is for you. Hence the "Race" name associated with it. If you enjoy a quieter cabin with 90% of the effectiveness of the "Race" bushings, use the RED "Street" bushings. Common sense, or so it seems.
Says the video has been removed. I did purchase the red bushings but havent installed them yet. Steeda claims no NVH on their site, which I guess is not correct. I can live with a bit if its really tightens the sloppy rear up.

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
Somebody that installed the reds gave me the black bushings, so I bought the spacers and hardware to install. Had slight gear whine the first couple of days then it went away. Not sure why?

Glex25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I used the black ones and also get the gear whine.
I have learned to live with it since the red one is only quieter by 25% it don't make it worth my time to swap them out

Sponsored

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I used the black ones and also get the gear whine.
I have learned to live with it since the red one is only quieter by 25% it don't make it worth my time to swap them out
This is what the OP said..." swapped to the RED bushings today and have 90% wheel hop eliminated with only about 25% of the gear whine present"

Meaning, its quieter by 75% :-)

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Thanks. Can't wait to get mine done in a few weeks. Will be using the red.

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
I installed the red bushings and do have some gear whine. Steeda's claim of zero NVH isn't entirely accurate IMO. The gear whine isn't terrible but I do notice it when lightly apply throttle and cruising, especially in 5th or 6th gear at speeds of 40mph+. The whine probably varies by car and by how sensitive you are to your own car's noises (I know I am). The bushings definitely helped tighten up the rear end and I can tell the differential isn't moving around nearly as much. It also seems that my gear thud is gone from around the transmission area and now I can hear more drivetrain noises behind me when changing gears.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Will these be going on sale at any point? I'm interested in trying them out instead of what I currently have.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Will these be going on sale at any point? I'm interested in trying them out instead of what I currently have.
PM David and see what can happen:thumbsup:
Sponsored