Sponsored

Steeda Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert - Install Tip

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I installed the Steeda Adjustable Diff Bushing Insert kit (555-4443) yesterday, and wanted to pass along a couple of tips that will get your install time down from the 4 hours it took me to the 1 hour it SHOULD have taken me. Of note, I also have the Steeda IRS Subframe Alignment Kit, IRS Subframe Bushing Support System, IRS Subframe Support Braces, and Aluminum Vertical Links, so the only thing I'm now missing from the Stop The Hop Handling Ultimate Kit is the Adjustable Toe Links, but they're sitting on my bench. I'll install them in a couple weeks, when I'm ready to get the car re-aligned.

1 - Watch the CJ Pony video on this a few times and have it handy on your phone or a garage TV. Bill is way better at describing and showing the installation process than the Steeda video.
2 - If you have aftermarket mufflers, just drop the exhaust. It takes less time to remove the clamps and let them droop than it does to back off the bolts 1/32nd of a turn at a time. My hands and forearms are wrecked from only moving those bolts about 12 degrees each time, and since the front bolts have very little clearance, you're repositioning the wrench every single time.
3 - Have a 22mm SHALLOW socket. The front bolt faces the axles, and you can't fit a deep socket in there. If I had a 22mm shallow, I'd have had that bolt out and back in with my impact driver, in less than a minute, using a wobble and an extension. There is enough room to torque this bolt without using a wobble, but again, you need a shallow socket.
4 - Have a 22mm ratcheting box wrench for the short front bolt that faces towards the rear of the car. There's basically zero room between the gas tank and the bolt.
5 - You can probably get away without removing the 21mm rear subframe bolts, especially if you get your exhaust out of the way.
6 - When you go to remove the front bolts, you may have a tough time getting the bolts out of the car, due to clearance against the axles. I have the GT350 half shafts, and was barely able to clear the driver's side. Passenger came out with no issue. The video that CJ Pony has on Youtube shows that the Ford Performance half shafts are too big, and the bolt needs to be cut.
7 - When you install the front bushing with the washer and short bolt, you'll be able to get the passenger side in, with no problem, due to the fact that there's a slight relief/cutout in the gas tank. The driver's side was impossible for me to do without having both front subframe bolts completely removed, and the driver's rear subframe bolt backed off about halfway. I kept a jack under the subframe to make sure that the droop was controlled, but that was the only way I could get enough clearance to install the bolt.
8 - If you have the Steeda Subframe Support Braces, you'll need to completely remove the two front bolts that connect to the underbody, as well as the bolt that connects to the factory subframe support bracket. The two Allen headed bolts can simply be loosened, not removed, as that will let you gain clearance to the 21mm front subframe bolt. Remember that the front subframe bolt HAS to be re-torqued before you start reinstalling the bolts for the subframe braces, as the brace partially obscures that bolt.

JR
Sponsored

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I probably should have added my thoughts about this, in addition to the install tips. Given that my IRS is already beefed up significantly, I didn't expect much out of this kit. I was wrong.

Now, I haven't driven it a whole lot, yet, but I did do some quick acceleration runs from a standing start to like 50 (didn't want to piss off my neighbors too much, because Easter), as well as some weaving.

I installed the red (80 durometer) inserts, but I expect the black (90 durometer) to be a little stiffer. No increase in NVH.

It might have just been the specific situations on that specific (newly paved) road, but this kit gave a significant improvement over the braces, locating kit, bushing support system, and vertical links. If I had installed all of these at the same time, I'd probably realize a crazy difference, but it's clear that all of these parts build on each other, and work best when you have everything. I doubt I'll see a crazy difference with the toe links, but maybe I'm wrong?

JR

Last edited:

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I have all the same stuff as you and am getting ready to install the stiff bushings. What specifically did you notice, where was the significant change? I have the aluminum ones, but my car isn’t a daily driver so NVH isn’t really a concern for me.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have all the same stuff as you and am getting ready to install the stiff bushings. What specifically did you notice, where was the significant change? I have the aluminum ones, but my car isn’t a daily driver so NVH isn’t really a concern for me.
I've installed the STH kit piecemeal. First was the alignment kit, subframe bushing support, and subframe braces. There was a SIGNIFICANT change in the planting of the rear end, but I still felt some hop, even on a warm day with MPS4S tires. I did the vertical links after that because I was trying to eliminate a suspension noise. There was much less of a noticeable change with those, but I felt like things were just more solid feeling. These continued the solidity of the rear end, and I could feel that there was little to no deflection in the driveline when I dumped the clutch. It also eliminated the Torsen clunk, or seemed to.

JR
Sponsored