Sponsored

Standard vs. Staggered Wheels

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind factory setups will nearly always be tuned to understeer at the limit. Its just safer for 98% of drivers. That's one reason why the PP1, PP2, and GT350 wheels are 1/2" staggered. These are mass market cars, driven by all sorts of unskilled drivers.

Fit also is a big factor. Its really easy to fit 11s in the rear, but 10" is the widest no-brainer fitment in the front. So the "easy" wide tire fitment for our cars ends up being a staggered fitment with 10F and 11R. Requires no work besides swapping wheels, and gets you a wider-than-stock tire at all four corners. Its win-win for most drivers, even if the handling balance is significantly weighted towards understeer at the limit.

However, square setups are proven to be a more efficient way to get around a road course. A good driver on a 10/11' staggered setup wouldn't be much faster (if at all) than a good driver on a 10/10" setup, and the square setup driver would be spending less money replacing tires, since they can rotate them to even out wear. At the cornering limits, you're somewhat limited by the lesser of the two axles. If the front of the car won't turn then the car won't turn, so having a wide 11" rear tire won't help if your anemic front tires can't get the front turned too.

Wide front tires help you get down to the apex quickly. Wide rear tires help you get away and accelerate out past the apex. A track car needs both, but your average street driver generally cares more about straight line acceleration and won't be testing the very scary limits of cornering while trail braking or balancing a car with throttle at an excess of 1.1Gs that the stock PP1 cars are easily capable of.

Ideally you're running a squared setup that is ALSO very wide. That's why people go to extended front studs with slip on spacers to run square 11/11" setups (or the factory Ford 10.5"/11" combo, which is pretty close). Fitting an 11' front is a tight fit. It requires a mix of camber AND just the right wheel offset with little margin for error (~5mm or less at the strut).

The 10.5" PP2 front wheel (and remember the PP2 is a very rare, unusual factory option) pinches the 305 tire down to a slightly narrower size, which allows conservative factory strut clearance, and stock GT fenders without changing the normal stock GT camber configuration. For a track car, a square 11" setup is more economical, and we assume that track car will be fine with less strut clearance (roughly 0.4" less) than Ford Co. will be ok putting on a factory car and will probably be running more than stock camber. As per Ford, the PP2 isn't optimized for the track. It needs coolers, and also, it really needs a bit more front camber.

Porsches and other cars are different. They'll have different power levels, different weight balance, and different suspension geometries. For some of these cars a staggered setup will be faster around a road course.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Staggered setup with Cars & Coffee in mind? :cwl:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I went with SVE staggered SP2's. Square setup from them would be 285's at the largest. I wanted the 325 rears for better traction.
20181216_121859.jpg

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
On 10.5 & 11 inch rims this setup is still staggered.
It is a lot less staggered than the PP1's 255/275 setup. Also note the GT350's also run less stagger, 10mm verses 20mm on wider tires (which make the proportional stagger even less).

305 is a lot of tire up front with the narrower GT front fenders. I wonder if 11" wheels up front would have cut the clearances too close for a mass produced car.

Both of which are related to my original point, that you can get more total tire under the car with staggered setups.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I went with SVE staggered SP2's. Square setup from them would be 285's at the largest. I wanted the 325 rears for better traction.
20181216_121859.jpg
Just keep in mind that the contact patch of a 285 and a 325 at the same pressure is the same, just different shape (and the narrower tire has a longer contact patch which is better for straight line traction). That's one thing people forget when they go to wide tires.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, you’re right. We should all be running skinny tires for all that extra traction. Lol

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, you’re right. We should all be running skinny tires for all that extra traction. Lol
Nah, but it's still a true thing. A wider contact patch improves lateral load capability, and having a wider tire of the same diameter improves how much heat it can take. Both those are good reasons to go to a wide tire. Not telling you anything you don't know...

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
But seriously, why keep pressures the same when you go to a wider tire? Chances are the ideal pressure for that wider tire is lower than for the narrow tire.

For one thing, load ratings are usually higher on wider tires than narrow tires, which indicates that the wider tire can run lower pressures while still supporting the weight of the car. We loose contact patch and grip if we run tire pressures higher than they need to be. So, by correctly adjusting our tire pressures for the new tire, doesn't this mean that the tire contact patch area would be significantly larger? Tires do grip a little better if the contact area is larger (due to tire load sensitivities).

Tire contact patches are funny things. Its hard to factor all the variables.
Nah, but it's still a true thing. A wider contact patch improves lateral load capability, and having a wider tire of the same diameter improves how much heat it can take. Both those are good reasons to go to a wide tire. Not telling you anything you don't know...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
But seriously, why keep pressures the same when you go to a wider tire? Chances are the ideal pressure for that wider tire is lower than for the narrow tire.

For one thing, load ratings are usually higher on wider tires than narrow tires, which indicates that the wider tire can run lower pressures while still supporting the weight of the car. We loose contact patch and grip if we run tire pressures higher than they need to be. So, by correctly adjusting our tire pressures for the new tire, doesn't this mean that the tire contact patch area would be significantly larger? Tires do grip a little better if the contact area is larger (due to tire load sensitivities).

Tire contact patches are funny things. Its hard to factor all the variables.
Yup, all true and that was my initial point. Ideal pressure for a significantly wider tire is almost always going to be lower as you stated. That will give you a larger overall contact patch area than before, further increasing grip.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
255s front 305s rear.

If it were not a daily driver I would do 305s front and 325s in rear
20181224_123240~3.jpg

Sponsored

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
There are far more experienced, and knowledgeable people in this thread than I, but I sometimes enjoy reading posts from a wide variant of people when researching - which I did a decent amount of a year ago. At 40, I've owned an 08' Roush Stage3, 2010 GT with stock 18", then staggered 19", and now a 2015 GT that I use the PP wheels in winter, and staggered RTR's with super sports in the summer - All daily drivers, that get pushed (far) more than most in the back road twisty's, but not a track (which I've been on, on bikes).

Aside from some of the good points already mentioned, such as "allows you to fit more total tire under the car", while addressing the differences between stock and a properly set up after market suspension, etc...

- Staggered looks better. I believe most things are relative... but staggered looks better - Period. lol

- Square is cheaper on the initial purchase of rims and tires, and also since you can rotate. I prioritized more rubber on the road, handling, and looks. Oddly enough (IMO) since rears on these cars take more wear than fronts (off-track), adding width to the rear can make them last longer, and lessen the disadvantage of not being about to rotate... Even with a few spins here and there, while pushing the fronts into corners, the rears actually held up pretty well over the summer, but time for new ones next.

- Many much higher end performance cars go staggered... Porsche, AMG, exotics, etc.. IMO, if square was better for general "handling", even if just talking Mustangs, it would be more common from factory for performance cars. Personally I just think the average buyer does NOT want the hassle / expense of not being able to rotate, and stock suspension Sucks SOOO badly, that heavier / wider wheels might just make it worse.

I went 295 rear / 275 front, on 10.5" / 9.5" wide. For looks it was a no brainer. For handling, when I do it again (on a newer model) I will definitely stay staggered, and might even go wider all around. This time since I'm just slightly above stock power, I was scared that going >300 would be too far down that spectrum of just doing it for looks, at the expense of handling. Handling was 80%, looks 20% for me. With the current set up, I feel that the type of sporty driving I do could still use some more rubber under the car all around.

Also important to mention that I replaced pretty much every suspension/handling related item that unbolted, and have it set up in a way that I'm pretty sure is very good for the equipment, and my goals. I have front/rear bias control via things like dampening and sway bars, and all settings came from guys like Kelly at BMR, a high end alignment shop, and a ton of research. My car currently handles LIGHTYEARS better than a stock 15' GTPP.

If I were to have less grip on the rears (from more narrow rubber) then I currently do, I would have definitely been annoyed I didn't go staggered. If I had notable aftermarket power, I'd definitely go well over 300 in the rear, and as wide as I could (295ish?) up front.

Lastly, an important factor that I don't believe anyone has mentioned here is weight. Due to the wheels I chose, my 20x10.5 rear rims (yes, I went 20" for looks :) with 295 Pilot Super Sports, are notably lighter than my 19x9.5 PP wheels w/Pirelli's (i.e. 5-6lbs lighter!), and there are obviously much higher end, lighter options than RTR's. If we're talking about an option of really low cost, 11" rears, with heavy 325's on them, on stock power, and stock or low-end aftermarket suspension, the weight factor alone might be worth staying narrow. Wheel weight makes a HUGE difference in handling... and staggered = heavier.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Staggered looks better. I believe most things are relative... but staggered looks better - Period. lol
To each their own. Being a road course guy, seeing a fat 305 or 315 on the front gives me all the right feels.

Alej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 PP+PP2
And what did they use on the PP2? Square 305 tires.

But let's face it, Ford's wheel and tire choices are very often non optimal. What idiot specified 8.5" wheels and 235 tires on a 3700lb car with over 400hp?

Plus from a manufacturers (liability) standpoint, understeer is good.
Couldn’t agree more. It might be ok for driving out of the dealership to your home, work, groecery store... but once you hit a race track, things get tricky and dangerous. Downright dangerous. Going from Performance Pack ’17 wheels to LMR GT350R replicas NT05 made a world of difference. Lighter, tons grippy-er, always steady.
235 are ridiculous, 255F/275R is the borderline can’t stretch them too much, 305 and up is the safe zone.
Me I’m 275 front / 305 Rear and can finally tilt, switch, transfer weight easily at high speeds. Can finally get on the gas early out of corners with a slightly tilted car. Understeer is zero.
I didn’t go higher because I’m really not that literate on cars and wanted to have something that would work guaranteed without issues... LMR sets were plug and play.

OP
OP
jonrjen

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
Thank you all for the wealth of information and sharing of knowledge. Now I need to choose between 19" and or 20" wheels.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Check out this 2018 Mustang GT running a staggered setup, measuring 20x10 275/35/20 Front and 20x11 305/35/20 Rear.
Client loves the flush fitment and ride quality.

Click Below
logo.png

47411992_142405876744370_935920881228816310_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.jpg
Sponsored