TjB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tj
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey guys,
Looking for some opinions on what to do.

Put on R1Concepts drilled and slotted rotors and pads on my 2017 Mustang GT Performance Pack.
Put all new hardware and reassembled everything the way it came out.
Did the brake in process given by R1.
Everything was fine until about a week later and it seems that the brakes make a squealing noise when coming to a stop/ lightly braking.
This only really seems to happen after they get warmed up extensively.
I took it apart and made sure to lube up all metal on metal contact with the disc brake quiet stuff and took it for a test drive.
There was no noise around town or after a couple of highway runs.
I took it all the way back home and it started squealing right as I approached my driveway. This is driving me nuts and hopefully someone on here has an answer. If you have any questions, please ask away.
Thanks.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Which pads did you get? If they're the Performance/Sport Series pad, R1 basically tells you to expect them to be noisy.

Try braking harder from time to time, as permitted by the lack of closely following traffic. Do as little of the really gentle braking as possible, and avoid riding the brake pedal (this may be more difficult if your car has the 10-speed automatic).

Norm

OP
OP
TjB

TjB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tj
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Which pads did you get? If they're the Performance/Sport Series pad, R1 basically tells you to expect them to be noisy.

Try braking harder from time to time, as permitted by the lack of closely following traffic. Do as little of the really gentle braking as possible, and avoid riding the brake pedal (this may be more difficult if your car has the 10-speed automatic).

Norm
Thanks for the reply Norm,
I got the OEM based pads because I had the feeling that the other options would be too noisy. I have the 6 speed so the only thing getting worked in California traffic is the clutch. I will go ahead and do a couple more harder stops, the piece that keeps me wondering is that it only does it after extended use. I feel as if it was the pad material, it would squeal whenever they are used.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It may just be the pad material you are using. Using GLOC GS-1s with Steeda slotted rotors mine did the same thing. Switched them out for Raybestos EHT and no more noise at all. I did the same as you - took it apart several times, cleaned and lubed the hardware and the pad ears, no change. Performance pads can make noise.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply Norm,
I got the OEM based pads because I had the feeling that the other options would be too noisy. I have the 6 speed so the only thing getting worked in California traffic is the clutch. I will go ahead and do a couple more harder stops, the piece that keeps me wondering is that it only does it after extended use. I feel as if it was the pad material, it would squeal whenever they are used.
My PP OEM pads squealed in the same way on light braking up to about 8k miles. Then it was gone. It was always worse after getting off of the highway.

For sure the pad material plays a huge roll, though at times I suspect the big brake vents in the PP’s bottom engine cover blew enough dirt into the pads/rotors to cause noise issues as well.

Either way, a different pad will be the best bet to resolve. This, or wait it out for a few thousand miles.

OP
OP
TjB

TjB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tj
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It may just be the pad material you are using. Using GLOC GS-1s with Steeda slotted rotors mine did the same thing. Switched them out for Raybestos EHT and no more noise at all. I did the same as you - took it apart several times, cleaned and lubed the hardware and the pad ears, no change. Performance pads can make noise.
My PP OEM pads squealed in the same way on light braking up to about 8k miles. Then it was gone. It was always worse after getting off of the highway.

For sure the pad material plays a huge roll, though at times I suspect the big brake vents in the PP’s bottom engine cover blew enough dirt into the pads/rotors to cause noise issues as well.

Either way, a different pad will be the best bet to resolve. This, or wait it out for a few thousand miles.
Thanks for the replies!

That is what I am leaning towards, talking to R1Concepts and they said that these specific pads may have some noise but this is more than likely due to not enough of a break in period.
They are telling me now that the break in is anywhere from 500-1200 miles so I will probably just run them out through at least 1000 and see if they get any better.
One thing I noticed while driving home today was that the noise would happen under light braking and if I was to do a hard brake immediately after, then there would be no noise under light braking for at least a mile or two of city driving.
A little more interesting as it progresses I suppose.
I will keep it updated if I figure out exactly what is going on.
Thanks again.
Sponsored