Springs vs budget coilovers?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Chassis' started by Schoonie3, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
    0   0   0
    Yeah I called bs at first too. But the collars were fully adjusted at low and wouldn’t move without some wiggle room. I went in and they showed me.

Performance shops where I am charge $140 an hour so a few hours for all that and alignment adds up pretty quick. Hence the $650. I know in other areas the same work might be less.

2. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Unbolting the shocks probably would have given enough room to pull them out

3. Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
    0   0   0
    Yeah they progressively kept checking to see if there was enough space. When I did the install myself a few years ago my subframe was a bit stubborn about dropping so I took their word for needing to unbolt most of it

4. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Silver Mustang GT 5.0
    0   0   0
    None what so ever. I love they way the feel. Solid setup for sure. I’m one full turn from soft on front and rear. The car handles like it’s on rails in the mountains. I need to get on the track and see she does in autocorss or road race.

mx5apex and Roadway 5.0 like this.
  5. Coyote Red

Coyote Red Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 5.0 Coyote Red
    Caregiver, IT /Custom Car Consultant
    0   0   0
    Any news on Bilstein rear shocks?

6. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Unfortunately, no. I thought Vorshlag was working on something with them, but I might be thinking of something else. I hope they come soon though, I'm going to be looking at a suspension upgrade fairly soon

7. NatJoo

NatJoo Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Gt
    0   0   0
    I was going to go with BC’s on my 2016 since I have them on my WRX and was happy with the setup. Decided to spend a few more hundred and get the Steeda coilovers (and a lot of other parts on their last sale). Very happy with the decision.

SilverSurfer likes this.
  8. NotMarc

NotMarc Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 GT 401a
    0   0   0
    I'm curious about Fortune Auto's offerings on the platform since they've been so well reviewed on other platforms.

I'm also considering Steeda's coilovers as I just saw on their site that they have a lifetime warranty.

What was your experience with the Steeda's? have you ever tracked them (Gingerman maybe?)

9. NatJoo

NatJoo Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Gt
    0   0   0
    So far really happy, but only have a few hundred miles on them. No track time yet. Completely pushing the limits of the current wheels and tires. 255/35/20 Sumitomo and 305/35/20 Nitto 555r's. Going to 285/35/19 and 325/30/19 Toyo R888R.

Install was not bad. Got front and rears done over a couple weekends. Added their swaybars, links, bushing support, alignment kit, bump steer, vertical links, toe links, diff bushings at the same time. Lots of unbolting and rebolting the rear cradle as I didn't really look at the total picture and best order of getting everything done. Not sitting quite as low in the front as I may want in the future so I may order shorter springs this year. Will see if the weight of the supercharger brings it down some, but I doubt it will.

I would go Steeda for sure. Seem to be right in the sweet sport of a good brand, and still being very reasonable. Plus with all their other offering you know they will have experience with a variety of their other parts.

10. NotMarc

NotMarc Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 GT 401a
    0   0   0

Thanks for the details, did you go with the 275lb springs? and Is it already set to the lowest and not low enough?

11. NatJoo

NatJoo Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Gt
    0   0   0
    Yes went 275. It is not quite at the bottom of the adjustment in the front, but pretty close. Have to double check the rear, but I believe it is closer to the highest setting.