Springs vs budget coilovers?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Are you looking to drop your car for the looks of a lowered car, or more for performance handling? That's really the first question you should answer.
Sponsored

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
I’m on BC coilovers for 2 years now. The adjustability is nice but it will still be expensive with alignments when you change the ride height.

Also when I had the rear adjusted the shop had to lower the whole subframe to get the height adjusted there.

A simple height adjustment ended up costing me $650

At the same time I was able to slam my car for a period of time...and can always lower it back down.

My driver side front coilover has a pretty bad squeak. Tried everything to fix it but it’s just how it is. Started about a year and a half after having them....

If I could do it all over again I would have just bagged the car. Being slammed caused some problems that have just about added up to the cost of an air system.

Cost of owner ship for the coils has probably been about $2500 - $3000 from buying the coils and running into some issues...just keep in mind I was stupidly low. So you will probably not run into some of the issues I had
4146D2EF-0C59-43FC-9F31-0D426B0D5461.jpeg

mx5apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I haven’t tried the steeds coilovers. But, went with their ultralite linear springs with their pro-adjustable shocks and billet rear shock mounts. Night and day difference in handling and ride quality. I installed the bmr cradle lockout kit while I had the rear dropped for the spring install.
How's the suspension noise? Any odd clunks or squeaks compared to the factory setup?

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Any one try the Steeda coilover kit?
I've been using the Steeda coilover kit for about a year now. I track the car (not my DD), and I must say, they have exceeded my expectations for the money. Do they have the svelte damping of KWv3's, absolutely not. But they perform admirably and I have had no issues with them. The extra expense you are paying for with these over the standard Steeda Pro Action struts and shocks is the ride height adjustability. I confirmed with Steeda that the struts are the same as the regular proactions, just sleeved for spring height adjustment. The rear shocks are identical. So if adjustment is important to you, and you were looking at pro actions to begin with (which are very well reviewed around here), then get the Steeda Coilovers. You won't be disappointed. Also have confidence in knowing that they used this set up with great success on their race car. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m on BC coilovers for 2 years now. The adjustability is nice but it will still be expensive with alignments when you change the ride height.

Also when I had the rear adjusted the shop had to lower the whole subframe to get the height adjusted there.

A simple height adjustment ended up costing me $650
Sorry, your shop ripped you off. There's no reason AT ALL to have to drop the subframe just to adjust coilovers. Thus, why you should only really do coilovers if you have the know-how to install and adjust them yourself, or have so much money that $650 doesn't mean a thing to you (in which case, I highly doubt you'd have a mustang of all cars).

Bags are only good if you're strictly going for appearance. For the cost and effort, you'll get MUCH more out of a coilover setup, especially if you're planning on road racing/autocrossing the car.

So, like it has been said, we need to know what your main purpose is. Are you looking for performance, or do you just want to look pretty?

Sponsored

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I called bs at first too. But the collars were fully adjusted at low and wouldn’t move without some wiggle room. I went in and they showed me.

Performance shops where I am charge $140 an hour so a few hours for all that and alignment adds up pretty quick. Hence the $650. I know in other areas the same work might be less.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I called bs at first too. But the collars were fully adjusted at low and wouldn’t move without some wiggle room. I went in and they showed me.
Unbolting the shocks probably would have given enough room to pull them out

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unbolting the shocks probably would have given enough room to pull them out
Yeah they progressively kept checking to see if there was enough space. When I did the install myself a few years ago my subframe was a bit stubborn about dropping so I took their word for needing to unbolt most of it

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver Mustang GT 5.0
How's the suspension noise? Any odd clunks or squeaks compared to the factory setup?
None what so ever. I love they way the feel. Solid setup for sure. I’m one full turn from soft on front and rear. The car handles like it’s on rails in the mountains. I need to get on the track and see she does in autocorss or road race.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Any news on Bilstein rear shocks?

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Any news on Bilstein rear shocks?
Unfortunately, no. I thought Vorshlag was working on something with them, but I might be thinking of something else. I hope they come soon though, I'm going to be looking at a suspension upgrade fairly soon

NatJoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
I was going to go with BC’s on my 2016 since I have them on my WRX and was happy with the setup. Decided to spend a few more hundred and get the Steeda coilovers (and a lot of other parts on their last sale). Very happy with the decision.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I'm curious about Fortune Auto's offerings on the platform since they've been so well reviewed on other platforms.

I'm also considering Steeda's coilovers as I just saw on their site that they have a lifetime warranty.

I was going to go with BC’s on my 2016 since I have them on my WRX and was happy with the setup. Decided to spend a few more hundred and get the Steeda coilovers (and a lot of other parts on their last sale). Very happy with the decision.
What was your experience with the Steeda's? have you ever tracked them (Gingerman maybe?)

NatJoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
So far really happy, but only have a few hundred miles on them. No track time yet. Completely pushing the limits of the current wheels and tires. 255/35/20 Sumitomo and 305/35/20 Nitto 555r's. Going to 285/35/19 and 325/30/19 Toyo R888R.

Install was not bad. Got front and rears done over a couple weekends. Added their swaybars, links, bushing support, alignment kit, bump steer, vertical links, toe links, diff bushings at the same time. Lots of unbolting and rebolting the rear cradle as I didn't really look at the total picture and best order of getting everything done. Not sitting quite as low in the front as I may want in the future so I may order shorter springs this year. Will see if the weight of the supercharger brings it down some, but I doubt it will.

I would go Steeda for sure. Seem to be right in the sweet sport of a good brand, and still being very reasonable. Plus with all their other offering you know they will have experience with a variety of their other parts.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
So far really happy, but only have a few hundred miles on them. No track time yet. Completely pushing the limits of the current wheels and tires. 255/35/20 Sumitomo and 305/35/20 Nitto 555r's. Going to 285/35/19 and 325/30/19 Toyo R888R.

Install was not bad. Got front and rears done over a couple weekends. Added their swaybars, links, bushing support, alignment kit, bump steer, vertical links, toe links, diff bushings at the same time. Lots of unbolting and rebolting the rear cradle as I didn't really look at the total picture and best order of getting everything done. Not sitting quite as low in the front as I may want in the future so I may order shorter springs this year. Will see if the weight of the supercharger brings it down some, but I doubt it will.

I would go Steeda for sure. Seem to be right in the sweet sport of a good brand, and still being very reasonable. Plus with all their other offering you know they will have experience with a variety of their other parts.

Thanks for the details, did you go with the 275lb springs? and Is it already set to the lowest and not low enough?
Sponsored