Springs vs budget coilovers?

Schoonie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hey Guys. New 550 owner. GT Premium. Looking to get a nice 1.5 - 2” drop. Trying to decide between spings and budget coilovers (BC, Megan, etc). Obviously price is more and adjustability is better with coilovers, but what are some of the other pros and cons in the real world? Thanks
Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
"Budget" suspension is not a good idea - especially C/Os. If you decide to swap out your dampers, pick quality which is generally not in the budget category. If you are looking for a drop, try to find used springs if budget is the issue. These cars are not that old so used springs should not suffer from wear problems.

OP
OP

Schoonie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Appreciate the response. Not looking for used springs, just not going to spend $1000+ on just suspension hardware. Really looking to compare the pros and cons of a setup like Eibach sport lines vs BC coilovers. One seems to be considerably adjustable, but costs $400 more. What are the pros and cons?

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
$400.00 is nothing to sweat, I did progressive springs and am happy w/stock shocks & struts. If the coilovers you want are just that much more do it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Appreciate the response. Not looking for used springs, just not going to spend $1000+ on just suspension hardware. Really looking to compare the pros and cons of a setup like Eibach sport lines vs BC coilovers. One seems to be considerably adjustable, but costs $400 more. What are the pros and cons?
Are you including shocks and struts in your "Eibach" setup?

If not, I'd really be concerned about the quality of a C/O kit that was only $400 more than just a set of lowering springs.

Never mind that you can expect the stiffer Eibach springs to age-out the OE shocks and struts faster than the OE springs would (all shocks and struts gradually lose their damping ability with time and mileage).

Norm

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Bilstein dampers + whatever springs tickle your fancy

^^that's about the best suspension setup you'll get without spending $2k on coilovers. anything less than that will be the same Chinese crap with different brand names slapped on it

JPMagnetic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Peddders coilovers on my GT and have been really happy with the handling and ride quality. shocks are adjustable and adjusting ride height isn't too difficult once they are setup and you have a good alignment done. Just my $.02

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Bilstein dampers + whatever springs tickle your fancy

^^that's about the best suspension setup you'll get without spending $2k on coilovers. anything less than that will be the same Chinese crap with different brand names slapped on it
This.

Buy nice or buy twice.

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Inexpensive coilovers are inexpensive for a reason. For a "budget" suspension build, I would get the Ford Performance dampers (nice monotube units), paired with springs and camber plates of your choice. BMR springs and Ground Control camber plates would be my personal recommendation.

It's not a question of whether or not cheap coilovers will work, because generally, they will. The real question is for how long? Often times the cheaper setups use twin tube construction, or weak seals and shaft plating. It's not cheap to build a quality chrome plated monotube damper, and that is reflected in the price differences when you start looking at JRZ, MCS, Ohlins vs. BC, Pedders, etc.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
It would help if the OP mentioned how the car is used. Cheap coilovers are probably adequate for everyday driving and the cars and coffee type events, if you don't mind the questionable longevity. Anything that might stress the components beyond normal grocery-getting is better left to quality equipment. As above, Bilsteins are great on a budget (I'd suggest Koni yellows as well) for any track, autocross or spirited runs through the twisted.

Sponsored

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Purchased the Ford Performance Shocks and Struts and paired them with Steed Ultralight Linear Springs, and couldn't be more happy. The drop isn't as serious (I think 1 and 1"3), but that's the sweet point in terms of performance/ride quality for the S550. I didn't opt for coilovers as I personally knew that I would never miss with the height settings, so didn't see the point in getting them. All I can say is that my car now corners like no other (at least GTs) and is leaps and bounds better than what is already a pretty great package if you have the PP on your car like I do. That said, I also have every suspension mod possible, so they all work together in order to create a true racetrack ready experience. I'm also a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". You may be saving a few bucks initially, but you may be spending more to fix unforeseen issues down the road + will most likely have to deal with a pretty "meh" ride.

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver Mustang GT 5.0
I haven’t tried the steeds coilovers. But, went with their ultralite linear springs with their pro-adjustable shocks and billet rear shock mounts. Night and day difference in handling and ride quality. I installed the bmr cradle lockout kit while I had the rear dropped for the spring install.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll 3rd the Ultralite Linears. Great stance and the handing and ride, when paired with good dampers (I use ProActions), is as good as it gets with a linear spring considering the beefy rates.

You can get the springs, dampers, and a set of IRS braces in the $1k range. These bits will TOTALLY transform your handling, for the better, and will give you the “showcar” stance you’re seeking.

Want to go “racecar” without shelling-out the coilover cash? Steeda makes Dual-Rate springs as well; I’m going to try these out soon.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
On my 16 I first went with a set of used BMR SP080 performance springs. They worked well enough, drop was ok, but still left me wanting more in the handling and looks department (minimal drop in rear). Bear in mind I started to track the car and generally drive pretty hard, but it is my daily too.

Then I moved to the BC racing coilovers. They handled really well, but sacrifice a lot in the ride quality department. I rode around on those for about 8 months, and never felt I could find a happy medium between good handling and adequate ride quality on the street. Even dialled right back to full soft I found myself apologising to passengers as we crashed over shit Sydney roads. Full stiff on the track was great though, and I generally rode around somewhere near midway. I was also running 20" wheels, and had I paired the BCs with a set of sway bars, I could have softened them up and maybe my opinion would be different. That will be the first and last set of cheap coilovers that I buy.

Now I have the chance to do it again, I've chosen better dampers (magride), and to pair that with a set of springs and bars, which are being installed right now.

If I were you I'd seriously consider saving up for better coilovers. I still rate having that adjustment when you need it, being able to soften for long drives, but dial it up when you want to have fun. I think if you go springs you will always wonder what could've been, but I'm now a firm believer in buy nice or buy twice lol
Sponsored