NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
As long as the exhaust is an option, that's fine. Ford has to watch making the Mustang too expensive.
Sponsored

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
This thread is getting me worried.

I ordered my s550 3 weeks ago and it takes up to 9 months for the rhd uk cars to come here. There might be a chance I will get an '18, but I really want the existing car. I don't want new twinkly lights, that horrible flat bonnet, quad little tips rather than twin big ones, and worst of all the new 10 speed gearbox. And they might drop Grabber Blue!!

It's the gearbox I dread, Ford and GM licence some of the patented internal clutch works from ZF who have no end of trouble with their 9 speed. I don't want my pony to turn out to be a mule.
Unless you're speaking hypothetically, where'd you see or hear this? Further, looking at it from a glass-half-full perspective, ZF also makes an eight-speed automatic which is almost universally-lauded as being one of the best non-double clutch, self-shifting transmissions on the planet. :)

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
There is an Aussie over in their section that had their ordered rhd orange car changed over to blue when Ford dropped orange.
Damn, that's messed up. Reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld with the rental car reservation.

"You see, you know how to *take* the order, you just don't know how to *deliver* the order. And that's really the most important part of the order: the delivering. Anybody can just take them."

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
The Coyote is getting updates, including DI, but beyond that we don't know anything of revised power or fuel economy figures.
Do you know that it's getting DI for a fact?

As long as the exhaust is an option, that's fine. Ford has to watch making the Mustang too expensive.
IMO, it's already too expensive to get into a V8.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

IMO, it's already too expensive to get into a V8.
It's getting a PI/DI split. My FR-S had the same thing. The port injectors helped reduce the buildup caused by 100% direct injection which is one reason why Subaru and Toyota wanted it.

Should result in a little more power and fuel economy overall.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
It's getting a PI/DI split. My FR-S had the same thing. The port injectors helped reduce the buildup caused by 100% direct injection which is one reason why Subaru and Toyota wanted it.

Should result in a little more power and fuel economy overall.
Oh, cool! That's good! There's a lot of benefit to being able to change the timing of spark events. I also wouldn't touch anything that's not direct and port. Way too many headaches with carbon buildup without a hybrid system. This will be good for the aftermarket. Honestly, I'm surprised they're debuting DI for the Mustang Coyote in a mid-cycle refresh. I thought we'd see if on the truck 5.0s too.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
From a newsletter that was put out by the Union that handles the Ford engine plant..DI for the Coyote for 2018 is a done deal. They were looking into a 4.8L V8 for the F150 but "hit their fuel economy goals by adding DI to the 5.0"

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
From a newsletter that was put out by the Union that handles the Ford engine plant..DI for the Coyote for 2018 is a done deal. They were looking into a 4.8L V8 for the F150 but "hit their fuel economy goals by adding DI to the 5.0"
Sweet! That's awesome. Between that and the new auto tranny, it probably makes more sense to buy a '19 or '20 model year. I'm sure the new tech will have some teething issues.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Sweet! That's awesome. Between that and the new auto tranny, it probably makes more sense to buy a '19 or '20 model year. I'm sure the new tech will have some teething issues.
Direct injection is not new technology and neither is the 10-speed auto that's been in the F-150. It should be fine.

Sponsored

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Direct injection is not new technology and neither is the 10-speed auto that's been in the F-150. It should be fine.
Hasn't the 10-speed been in the F150s for like 3 months? Manufacturers always have issues, some small and some larger, when they introduce new tech. For example, the LT1 motor isn't revolutionary for GM in many ways, but its had its fair share of problems within the first year of production. Chrysler has problems with the 9-speed auto in their lineup, and my old BRZ had injector failure, among other issues.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I think people forget just how long these things are in development before we ever see them..

I assure you..they've been blowing up Coyotes in engine cells for a while now "working the bugs out" in terms of these upgrades. There might be a few individual cases of bugs to work out, but it's not going to be fleet wide.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Not everything in life is as reliable as your Toyota Corolla:thumbsup:
It's :ford: we are talking about here.
I assure you, everything is more fun... lol.

I'd have some faith in the engineers. The Camaro is running full DI on the LT1. I can tell you one thing, invest in a catch can or pay the price when you hit 80-100k miles. That's why I would be all for a PI/DI split. You get the benefits of DI while still having PI to clean off the heads.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The person that sent me that mule picture yesterday says he's seen the quad tipped one too. He said it sounded awesome and will get me a video next time he sees it. He says he's been seeing these camo'd Mustangs a bunch, so fingers crossed we'll get some videos soon.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
In the case of the 10 speed Ford are fully committed to it, the plant is made and the schedules set in stone by management. The same happened at ZF, and mechanically the gearbox will most likely be perfect. But the software that runs it does not work properly with the ZF box (ask any Jeep or Evoque owner with the box).

There is every chance that Ford have underestimated the time taken to write perfect software for the Mustang application, you can't just use the code from F150 truck.
They've been developing the 10 speed's calibration in the F-150 and Mustang for over 2 years already, with the F-150 leading it for the 2017MY. It'll be good once it gets to people's garages. They won't declare OKTB without shift quality meeting target.
Sponsored