OP
OP
cerbomark

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
no promo s. They said they are lucky not to be raising prices at this point. The only thing is i broke that little thread extention thingy. Some how i secured it without. can someone explain that part as i have requested another one?

rothrj91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Lime PP1 GT
The circumference of the barrel won't accomodate them unless you used a comical amount of spacers to where it was completely out of line with the caliper lol
Ah, got it. I assume the stock spare will fit on the rears though? The only reason I ask is I can get a stock spare for about $100.

OP
OP
cerbomark

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, got it. I assume the stock spare will fit on the rears though? The only reason I ask is I can get a stock spare for about $100.

yes, as someone (@chefjpd) stated before you could put the spare on the rear and move a good rear to the flat front but for a few hundred I think it s wiser to just get the right wheel.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Yeah, for some reason the overall diameter of the Mustang specific spare is way less than the standard, its like 25.9 inches or something instead of 27. I have an 2020 Explorer spare, same bolt pattern but the proper diameter. Only problem with it is that it won't clear the front brakes (even the standard GT brakes lol). The moral of this story is to just get the AA one, least liklihood of issues. But I got this cheap and hopefully won't have to use it.
I never understood this myself. A 27" diameter donut will fit snuggly in the spare tire well, yet Ford, as well as some of the aftermarket options, only seem to offer 26" spares (sometimes even smaller!). The AA kit is slightly better at almost 26 1/2", but at nearly $500 shipped, and with a skinny 135 tire, I personally prefer the Explorer tire. Over an inch wider at 165 width, and a full 27" diameter, I just don't understand why this tire was not the automatic choice for the spare tire kit in our cars.

This is how I went about it; I found a spare kit out of a 2017 Mustang on Craigslist for $100, never used and included the jack and wrench. Then I found an Explorer spare from a wrecked 2019 on eBay for $65 shipped, also never used. A quick trip to a tire shop had both tires dismounted and the Explorer tire mounted on the Mustang spare rim. Altogether, less than $200 + some patience searching for the best deals, and I have a properly sized spare that fits all 4 corners of my car without the need for a spacer or rotating rims back to front on the side of the road. This would also work just fine on cars with the factory 20" wheels, the only caveat is it won't work with Brembo brakes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cerbomark

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, Brembo s are the issue for most of us.

Last edited:

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I never understood this myself. A 27" diameter donut will fit snuggly in the spare tire well, yet Ford, as well as some of the aftermarket options, only seem to offer 26" spares (sometimes even smaller!). The AA kit is slightly better at almost 26 1/2", but at nearly $500 shipped, and with a skinny 135 tire, I personally prefer the Explorer tire. Over an inch wider at 165 width, and a full 27" diameter, I just don't understand why this tire was not the automatic choice for the spare tire kit in our cars.

This is how I went about it; I found a spare kit out of a 2017 Mustang on Craigslist for $100, never used and included the jack and wrench. Then I found an Explorer spare from a wrecked 2019 on eBay for $65 shipped, also never used. A quick trip to a tire shop had both tires dismounted and the Explorer tire mounted on the Mustang spare rim. Altogether, less than $200 + some patience searching for the best deals, and I have a properly sized spare that fits all 4 corners of my car without the need for a spacer or rotating rims back to front on the side of the road. This would also work just fine on cars with the factory 20" wheels, the only caveat is it won't work with Brembo brakes.
I would have to double check, but pretty sure my AA spare came with a 155/70R19 tire, which would be 27.5" in diameter. Of course, I have had mine for about four years now, did AA have to spec a different tire?

Doug

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I would have to double check, but pretty sure my AA spare came with a 155/70R19 tire, which would be 27.5" in diameter. Of course, I have had mine for about four years now, did AA have to spec a different tire?

Doug
For me, I don't have time to reinvent the wheel so to speak. I will do like others and just night the bullet and buy the AA spare tire kit which doesn't use a spacer and fits over my Brembo calipers. Good Luck.

Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package

Doug
The pics provided on the product description page show a 135/70R19 size on the sidewall of the tire, which works out to a 26.44" diameter. It's possible the pic is just a generic representation instead of the actual tire/rim combo, but since they didn't list the actual tire size in the written description, I just went by what was shown in the pic.

After viewing the demo video on the product page, however, I did see the size was 155/70R19 on the spare they mounted up, which is actually a really good fit for PP cars since they have larger diameter rear tires than a non-PP GT.

The price is still kind of steep IMO, but I'll withdraw my previous comment about the AA kit, it appears to be a high quality, well thought out kit for Brembo equipped cars.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Just ordered the full up kit. Hopefully I'll NEVER need to use it!!
Yep, I hear you. I'll order mine before I start driving again after winter. Let us know what you think of the kit

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Chrokee / Honda CRV / 1996 Thunderbird
I'm sorry to revive this but I just want to make sure I get the correct spare tire. I only have an Ecoboost Premium Convertible so I just have the standard breaks. Will the regular Ford spare tire kit be fine for me? https://accessories.ford.com/products/mustang-2015-2020-spare-tire-kit-for-v6-i4-and-gt-coupe-1

Or would there be an advantage for me to get one of the other one's mentioned in this thread? I am a little concerned with the folding tire iron that comes with the Ford kit because it looks a little cheap and I'm worried it might bend or break.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm sorry to revive this but I just want to make sure I get the correct spare tire. I only have an Ecoboost Premium Convertible so I just have the standard breaks. Will the regular Ford spare tire kit be fine for me? https://accessories.ford.com/products/mustang-2015-2020-spare-tire-kit-for-v6-i4-and-gt-coupe-1

Or would there be an advantage for me to get one of the other one's mentioned in this thread? I am a little concerned with the folding tire iron that comes with the Ford kit because it looks a little cheap and I'm worried it might bend or break.
That’s the kit and it is just fine. I got it with my 15’ EB and kept it for my 19’ GT/CS. Reach out to Benny at Levittown Ford for a forum discount.

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Chrokee / Honda CRV / 1996 Thunderbird
That’s the kit and it is just fine. I got it with my 15’ EB and kept it for my 19’ GT/CS. Reach out to Benny at Levittown Ford for a forum discount.
Thanks! Thanks also for the suggesiont for Levittown Ford. One other quick question, does the jack store neatly under the spare tire with this one? Or is it just loose in the trunk?
Sponsored