Sound Difference With / Without CAI?

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
I have a 2019 GT and am getting a resonator delete H pipe to lower the tone.

I am also considering installing an open air filter just for the increased / changed sound, however I would like to know what the new sound would likely be like.

I have heard that you get more engine music coming into the cabin, but I am wondering if the H pipe would drown out this extra noise, thus rendering it useless?

I am only considering an open air filter for the noise.

Don't suppose anyone has any sound comparisons?

Thanks
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I'd advise against the open intake due to increase in iats but if only doing it for cosmetic sound and not performance related then to each their own.

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
At WOT your exhaust would probably over power any extra induction noise an open CAI would produce. I hear some whistling noises at partial throttle. Mostly noticeable with the window down. At WOT my exhaust (X-pipe and Steeda axle backs) is so loud It drowns out anything else. Same experience for me with a JLT CAI and a Roush closed CAI.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
If you get an open air CAI you will also need a tune (there's a couple of intakes that doesn't require a tune, which also means little to no hp gains). I run my GT with a K&N drop-in filter, and as others have said, our car's exhaust will def overpower any sound coming from up front.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
My jlt had a great induction sound but I had stock exhaust back then so I cant tell you how much you'll hear with aftermarket exhaust.

Crowd.Slayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
As I see it, a open air CAI is not useless, have one myself. If driving through traffic or lower street speeds it will produce higher IATs and will probably have the opposite desired effect. But on the flipside, on a cold crisp night out at a roll, I think you will enjoy it. I know I do. Without a tune though, most intakes will show no real signs of increased power. It will be a placebo effect.

But it is a fun option to still do for those of us who are still riding out the warranty or use it as a daily and will not have a tune to void said warranty. I feel it has added a slight difference in sound, but again, that might just be my brain justifying the cost. This is after-all, what this is about: your enjoyment out of it.

So slap on that intake and exhaust and enjoy the sound of a dying era that is ICE V8's and be glad you were able to take part in it. 😊
Sponsored