Sponsored

**SOLVED** New here, issue that is very strange to me, please help

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I've heard of and experienced myself first hand, starters going bad.

From what I have experienced with the original starter for my 94 Cobra, when the car was shut off and key removed from ignition, the starter solenoid shorted and somehow jammed. When that happened the starter pinion remained engaged, making a horrible grinding sound against the flywheel... (no damages to flywheel teeth). The car was turned off, but the starter was shorted and getting power trying to spin, but the car didn't restart at all, because it didn't turn over the engine... The only way I could stop the grinding was to immediately disconnect the battery

That may be a possibility in your situation - but I would tend to think if it did do that, you surely would not be walking away because it makes a horrendous noise... you'd know immediately... LOL

If you car is restarting - better use ebrake assembly, leave it out of gear or disconnect the battery like others have suggested... otherwise you're going to have a much bigger issue than a mystery car restart...
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the car could be running when in gear. All speculations aside, it shouldn't be physically possible for the car to run, all night, in gear. The only conclusion I could come to, assuming you're not mistaken about leaving it in gear, is that it wasn't fully in the gate and kicked out the moment Christine decided to get some air.

OP
OP

H3LLZYEA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6
I was literally just trying to explain to my girlfriend why I was so puzzled even if it has a remote starter that i want aware of, how did it start in gear?
I came home, parked it and did my normal routine of putting it in first (after the standard 3 time shimmy in neutral position lol) pulled the ebrake and hit the start/ stop button.
First I don't really know how it could have run all night without me noticing but giving into the fact I could have done that, how did it start with the key in my pocket, at the store?? I do know I left it in neutral when I went to the store so this remote starter app theory is starting to make sense to me. Maybe it wasn't in gear when I parked, I just don't think so because I never do that, but mistakes happen so if I did leave it in neutral and the previous owner has an app to start it then all that at least makes me feel sane.
I'm going to figure this out tomorrow, I have my security camera pointed at it and recording so if it happens tonight I'll have video of it, okay night the camera was slightly off from the car but I could see any entrance so I know nobody went near it.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Thank you all I will look tomorrow and post if I find one, if there's an app that can remote start it I'm going to have a nice long chat with the dealership I purchased it from.
This thread is hilarious. Just have a long chat with the dealer maybe they can figure out why your car starts out of nowhere. I’m sure they know why. 🤪 v6’s usually start up and run all night long :giggle: Bummer.

OP
OP

H3LLZYEA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6
Just out of curiosity, anyone know why when I found the car running it shut off the second I opened the door?

Edit* found this with a quick Google search about remote starters with push button start, so the aftermarket remote start is looking more plausible

"After 20 minutes of remote operation, the vehicle has 'timed out' and must be started traditionally from within the vehicle via the key fob. Why does my Lexus turn off when I open the door? Unlocking the door or pressing the brake pedal will shut the vehicle off as an extra security precaution.May 6, 2020"

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

H3LLZYEA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6
Okay okay I'm not going to be responsible for anyone else's sleepless night, I'm going out now to search for a remote starter after reading about how to install one and how it actually works, it sounds like that's what is happening and I just didn't have the car in gear when I parked it. Don't get to many drinks in you, I'll return shortly!!

OP
OP

H3LLZYEA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6
Okay I don't see anything that looks to me like it's aftermarket, however the car didn't start on its own this time but I took a video of what it did do, I opened the door key in my pocket, opened the hood, closed the door looked under the hood for maybe ten seconds, closed the hood. All the interior and exterior lights went out, after about a minute THE SUBWOOFERS IN THE TRUNK CAME ON! They were pumping out bass for about 10 seconds, then stopped them again for about 10 seconds (scared me to death to be honest).
The radio was not lit up and it was playing music but I stream all my music to it via Bluetooth on my phone and the music app was not running because the camera was, and no it wasnt running in the background I checked.
So this has to be a wiring issue somewhere, doesn't explain the starting up on its own but something is not right.
The site won't let me upload a 2 minute video of someone could tell me how to upload the video and provide a link you can watch for yourself.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Is this like the polish guy with a fob under the seat?

What's so hard about pulling the starter fuse?

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

H3LLZYEA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6
I'm not insane, I'm not a moron, there's a ghost in the machine in the wiring somewhere. I have no issue uploading the video just not sure where to do it to post a link.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Night all. I’m off to pull my battery so I can sleep in peace. It would scare the shit out of me waking up to that racket And realizing it’s my car. Just hanging out. Idling. Calling to me to go for a ride.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Edit: watched the video. The sounds you hear. Mine makes similar noises all the time. More so, actually. Jiggling, rattling, clattering. Skye makes several self checks and whatnot from time-to-time, especially when using the Ford Pass App. I'd not be concerned. If you hear the car actually trying to start, well, yes, that's obviously an issue.

While paranormal activity is often associated with the Dodge Demon, this could be the first recorded instance in a Mustang.

Seriously though...

Car in gear, starts in gear and is running in gear? Is it possible in the excitement and confusion of it all, the car was in neutral when approached? And the whole FOB/remote start/manual thing. Could be a failing starter, but then, the electronics support that and start the car anyway? All failsafes, well, fail?

Car runs out of gas, go to get gas, car running, again. Maybe the car still had gas, but stalled out for some reason? But, how did it start yet again? Why stall and seemingly recover, by itself?

Ever a daytime instance? Ever notice a sudden loss in gas? Car appears warmed up although no one driving it?

Has this car been involved in a flood? Submerged in water? You bought it used. Did the car's history seem clean? But you've had it for at least a but, with no other issues?

Cars are typically gifted a second FOB at birth. Where is it? Who has it? Any chance they were F'ing with you? Remember the Darth Vader VW commercial and the kid in the driveway?

If you've setup cameras, maybe something will come about.

Chat up the dealer and ask him to scan the car for codes and any logic faults.

Please, report back.

And check to make sure there are no Demon badges on your Mustang, especially in the glovebox. No one ever looks in the glovebox.

Last edited:
OP
OP

H3LLZYEA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6
Edit: watched the video. The sounds you hear. Mine makes similar noises all the time. More so, actually. Jiggling, rattling, clattering. Skye makes several self checks and whatnot from time-to-time, especially when using the Ford Pass App. I'd not be concerned. If you hear the car actually trying to start, well, yes, that's obviously an issue.

While paranormal activity is often associated with the Dodge Demon, this could be the first recorded instance in a Mustang.

Seriously though...

Car in gear, starts in gear and is running in gear? Is it possible in the excitement and confusion of it all, the car was in neutral when approached? And the whole FOB/remote start/manual thing. Could be a failing starter, but then, the electronics support that and start the car anyway? All failsafes, well, fail?

Car runs out of gas, go to get gas, car running, again. Maybe the car still had gas, but stalled out for some reason? But, how did it start yet again? Why stall and seemingly recover, by itself?

Ever a daytime instance? Ever notice a sudden loss in gas? Car appears warmed up although no one driving it?

Cars are typically gifted a second FOB at birth. Where is it? Who has it? Any chance they were F'ing with you? Remember the Darth Vader VW commercial and the kid in the driveway?

Has this car been involved in a flood? Submerged in water? You bought it used. Did the car's history seem clean?

If you've setup cameras, maybe something will come about.

Chat up the dealer and ask him to scan the car for codes and any logic faults.

Please, report back And check to make sure there are no Demon badges on your Mustang, especially in the glovebox. No one ever looks in the glovebox.
Yes I've said that maybe the car was in neutral the first instance, and that I know I left it in neutral when I went for gas, still I don't know how it started when I went for gas, the fuel gauge showed less than E and the miles to empty was just lines.
I wish I made this up because it really bothers me, there's been no instance tonight, the car isn't running when I woke up, I left it in neutral to be certain nothing happened if it did start.
The carfax was clean, there's no sign at all of water damage, and I have a scanner I'll check for codes in my confused state I should have done this immediately so thank you for mentioning that.
There was no second key fob mentioned by the dealer, I'll call and make sure, I assumed the previous owner had lost it but who knows.
I've only had it 2 weeks and this is the only issue I've had, this was also the first time in those ţwo weeks the car was not started for about 12 hours, so maybe I'll let it sit all day today without starting it and see if anything happens, I really don't know.

I hate that this is my first mustang in 20 years and the first post I make to a forum makes me sound insane but I don't know what caused any of it.

Also I bought the car from an or of state dealer about 7 hours from me and had it delivered, anyone with a second key fob would need to be fairly dedicated to travel that far just to mess with someone.
Sponsored