Sold it

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I think he's thinking of the FOCUS ST. The Fiesta ST is like 3k less than a GTI and that's before any dealing or rebates. The GTI may handle better but not by any massive stretch. It's more that it has better breaking and more interior room. With the money you save you can make a Fiesta ST trounce a stock GTI around most short tracks, it's the long straight away they may catch up.
How many GTI's you owned ? I owned 3... mostly driven by my wife, who loves manual hatchbacks (now she fell in love with the Cooper S) ... you can't really compare a Focus to a VW Golf. The GTI has been THE benchmark for all hatchbacks of all ages... and let's not get into the interior and quality of components used. When I get into a Ford focus it makes me puke.
All you need is an APR chip or something similar on a GTI, some sticky tires, a bit of camber and it's ready for the track. and you can do it over and over again....

When I meant for the same money; think about what you are ready to spend on a Focus-esta and look for a couple of years old GTI .... you will come on top, trust me. Always. If you are handy with a spanner (I mean really handy, down to changing timing chains) , look at the Cooper S or JCW. It will bring a smile on your face every time you drive it and push it.

but again, just my 2 cents. People do whatever they want with their money. We are lucky to have options :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think he's thinking of the FOCUS ST. The Fiesta ST is like 3k less than a GTI and that's before any dealing or rebates. The GTI may handle better but not by any massive stretch. It's more that it has better breaking and more interior room. With the money you save you can make a Fiesta ST trounce a stock GTI around most short tracks, it's the long straight away they may catch up.
Could be. I don't really like the ergonomics of the Focus. I was looking at Focus RS as well, but I sat in one and it isn't for me.

Funny that the smaller car Fiesta ST has better ergonomics for a tall person than the Focus ST, but that's how I believe it to be.

And I guess I'm a little odd, but I'm more looking for something I will enjoy driving with low cost rather than what is the absolute fastest. Especially for a winter car.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
To me, a car is more than the sum of parts and driving experience... it's something which has to make you turn back and look at it every time you park it and walk away.
If you don't it's because either a. you are not a car enthusiast or b. you are driving the wrong car.

I can't see myself looking back at a Corvette, sorry.
Nope...... to each their own..

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Sorry, another car I would not look back for :) ... I'd rather do another Cooper S or a GTI for the same money, faster and better handling.
But hey, it's not my money, it's your money, so enjoy :)
I strongly disagree. I've driven all three and owned a few VW Golf platform cars over the years (from a Mk2 GTI, Mk4, Mk1 TT quattro), and their handling isn't even close to the Fiesta ST (full disclosure, I own one and love it). The Cooper is a closer, but the engine is anemic at high RPM. JCW editions are better but much more expensive.

In my urban area (Chicago), my Fiesta ST is more fun than my GT350R because it can be driven pretty hard all the time. The Mk2 GTI was similarly fun because every drive was 10/10ths and no one else could even tell. I've had both cars at the same track on the same day, and while the R is of course much faster, the Fiesta ST isn't far down on the fun scale. It is just so easy to toss in and slide around, and it rotates more willingly than any other front-driver I've experienced.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Could be. I don't really like the ergonomics of the Focus. I was looking at Focus RS as well, but I sat in one and it isn't for me.

Funny that the smaller car Fiesta ST has better ergonomics for a tall person than the Focus ST, but that's how I believe it to be.

And I guess I'm a little odd, but I'm more looking for something I will enjoy driving with low cost rather than what is the absolute fastest. Especially for a winter car.
The Focus has an oddly high H-point (where the hip bend is in the driver seat), and I always felt like I was sitting "on" a Focus rather than "in" one. I disliked the Focus RS as well for that reason. Relationship to the shifter, wheel and pedals all felt awkward. Fiesta ST doesn't have any of those issues. I freaking love mine.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
How many GTI's you owned ? I owned 3... mostly driven by my wife, who loves manual hatchbacks (now she fell in love with the Cooper S) ... you can't really compare a Focus to a VW Golf. The GTI has been THE benchmark for all hatchbacks of all ages... and let's not get into the interior and quality of components used. When I get into a Ford focus it makes me puke.
All you need is an APR chip or something similar on a GTI, some sticky tires, a bit of camber and it's ready for the track. and you can do it over and over again....

When I meant for the same money; think about what you are ready to spend on a Focus-esta and look for a couple of years old GTI .... you will come on top, trust me. Always. If you are handy with a spanner (I mean really handy, down to changing timing chains) , look at the Cooper S or JCW. It will bring a smile on your face every time you drive it and push it.

but again, just my 2 cents. People do whatever they want with their money. We are lucky to have options :)
Between me and my friends? 4 since 2006. All either had an engine blow up with only an APR tune, gone through 6+ coil plugs, DSG fail, or literally the doors falling off. If you wanna toss in my buddies stock 2.0T TT that makes another DSG failure. Yup, sure can't compare that quality. They literally fall apart more than any other brand I can name. None of us want another VW again. lol I feel bad for anyone getting a GTI over 60K. Good luck having to have that pricey intake/valve cleaning done. We all started out as VW fans and now refuse to buy another.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Between me and my friends? 4 since 2006. All either had an engine blow up with only an APR tune, gone through 6+ coil plugs, DSG fail, or literally the doors falling off. If you wanna toss in my buddies stock 2.0T TT that makes another DSG failure. Yup, sure can't compare that quality. They literally fall apart more than any other brand I can name. None of us want another VW again. lol I feel bad for anyone getting a GTI over 60K. Good luck having to have that pricey intake/valve cleaning done. We all started out as VW fans and now refuse to buy another.
Obviously we are talking of different cars, I would never ever buy an automatic. I sold my 2001 GTI last year with over 200k miles on the dash... engine running strong, changed timing once and all belts/pulleys, some seals, some water pipes... . That's it. Tuned since I got it in 2014.
But again, I think we are of drastically different generations/age, and we treat cars differently.... so I will stop here and wish you good luck and let's stop the chest beating... this is out of topic. Over and out.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Well, OP did mention picking up a Fiesta ST. @torque124, I would encourage you to drive a Fiesta ST in anger if you get a chance. The GTI is a very competent car that feels very nice for its price, and it's more practical than the Fiesta given its shape and size, but for just plain fun quotient, you may be surprised. The Fiesta ST is just more than the sum of its parts (and, IMO, far far better than any Focus). Hard to describe.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Well, OP did mention picking up a Fiesta ST. @torque124, I would encourage you to drive a Fiesta ST in anger if you get a chance. The GTI is a very competent car that feels very nice for its price, and it's more practical than the Fiesta given its shape and size, but for just plain fun quotient, you may be surprised. The Fiesta ST is just more than the sum of its parts (and, IMO, far far better than any Focus). Hard to describe.
Agreed 100%. The FiST is one of the most fun cars out there, ever. It infuriates me that Ford isn't bringing the new one to the States.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I miss my C5 Z. It was so much fun. Interesting switch but I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

Sponsored

OnTrack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red
I plan on picking one up in addition to the GT350. The GT350 is great, but not competitive when it comes to racing unless you gut it. Even then, a c5z can be more competitive with less effort and still have better laps times. I don't think it's a bad choice by any means and hope you enjoy the new ride.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I appreciate the well wishes. So far I like the car and I really haven't had an opportunity to push it. I have a track day on Monday the 3rd, so I'm excited to find out more. I don't have anything to hold me in the seat yet, so I will be taking it easy and learning the car this time. I still think it will be fun. I'm a little worried about the brakes. I'm definitely spoiled after running the GT350 - I never had a worry about the brakes holding up on track in the GT350.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
I also would have loved it if the GT350 was a little lighter and a little lower. I am keeping mine but I added a 996 Cab. to scratch that itch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I also would have loved if the GT350 was a little lighter and a little lower. I am keeping mine but I added a 996 Cab. to scratch that itch.
I think Porsches are really cool, but I find them to be a little dull on the street. They have so much traction with the engine over the drive wheels, and the less expensive Porsches that I can afford really don't make a lot of power. I'm also not as big a fan of flat 6 sounds versus a V8.

Definitely nice cars though.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I had to log in for this thread. Haven’t been on here for some time since selling my GT350 and getting my Porsche 718 Cayman.

I totally get the small car thing. The most fun car I ever had the pleasure of owning was a Suzuki Swift GT, absolute blast to drive. I’ve been tempted many times to try a Mini or a Fiesta ST or a GTI. I miss the front drive hatches.

I’ve always wanted a Porsche and wasn’t getting any younger. Glad I did it and have no regrets,
Sponsored