Sponsored

So who else's car does not use oil?

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I daily drive my car, and even with 60+ autocross runs (some of them VERY aggressive, limiter in 2nd gear for ~1 second every run with other points on course well into third gear) I think I'm on pace to use about a quart every oil change. I've emptied the passenger side catch can a few times. Never getting a whole lot out of it, it will probably fill up once every oil change.
Sponsored

RaceRed350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Shelby GT350, 1989 Ford Mustang LX coupe
About 2 tablespoons out of my JLT 3.0 seperator in 2100 miles so far

TechnicalLimitation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350. H3562
Just passed 1000 miles this morning going to a cars and coffee. No difference in the level since the first day. Pretty confident it'll be that way for the duration, broke it in using my secret recipe and haven't had an oil user in 44 years with my break in method.
Care to make your recipe non-secret? ;)

Curious what folks are doing that's different than mine. I'm at about 300 miles so far. Can't say I drive it like I stole it, but I don't baby it either.

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
Pretty simple and really no secret. Drive a new vehicle within the first few miles lightly till it's thoroughly warmed up and run it up to redline in 1st and 2nd gear, put it in neutral and coast to the side of the road and kill the engine and sit and smoke a couple of cigarettes and let it cool down. Then after that, drive it normally. And normally includes getting up to redline every once in awhile. In 45 years and a boatload ( too many to count ) of new motorcycles, cars and trucks during that time broken in that way, I've never had an engine use any oil.

swlacobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350 2016 z06 convertable
1500 miles so far dipstick on full. I don't baby it have run it to redline many times starting after the first 100 miles. I had a 16 tech pack before this did the same thing and it didn't use oil either.

Sponsored

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This has a lot to do with how you drive. If you drive like a normal person in city shifting gears at 2000-2500 rpm, oil consumption will be next to nothing. If you however keep the revs at 3500-4000 all the time, frequent 6500-7500 rpm pulls and never use the 6th gear on highway, the oil consumption will be very high. I went for a 2500 mile road trip and my car only used 1/2 quart because the entire time I was on 6th gear below 3000 and was very gentle with the car (primarily because I was afraid it breaking far away). I came back and drive quite the opposite and now it asks for 1/2 quart every 500-750 miles. Same car, same driver.

Explanation of oil usage is its due to the fact that pistons and rings are designed to allow lubrication at CHT values of 270-280F. These metals expand as they get hot, so for this to be possible at such high temperatures and engine rpms, it means at lower temperature values, oil will sweep out. This was explained by a forum member in detail to me in a thread I created a while back.

Every 8000+ rpm engine I know has this. The S65 and S85 engines BMW made did it, metzger as well as 9A1 engines porsche made for GT3 all do this as wel (actually metzgers do this even for turbos).

To the people who keep saying they drive their cars hard and track and it doesnt burn any oil: this makes sense given my CHT explanation above. Problem is people like me who drive the car at temperatures 199-210 and mid to high rpm range. Thats perfect recipe for oil usage. Because engine isnt too hot to ensure enough piston expansion but yet we keep revs high enough

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I daily drive my car, and even with 60+ autocross runs (some of them VERY aggressive, limiter in 2nd gear for ~1 second every run with other points on course well into third gear) I think I'm on pace to use about a quart every oil change. I've emptied the passenger side catch can a few times. Never getting a whole lot out of it, it will probably fill up once every oil change.
That's about where I'm at. 1 quart every oil change is easonable. I'm actually even less.

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Fine here. No notable consumption. Normal driving, occasional runs up to 8k ish RPMs.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
After an oil change the level quickly goes down to about 1/2 way between the marks and then it stays there. I never have to add any oil between changes. Just over 20,000 miles on it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Just passed 1000 miles this morning going to a cars and coffee. No difference in the level since the first day. Pretty confident it'll be that way for the duration, broke it in using my secret recipe and haven't had an oil user in 44 years with my break in method.
Why is that a secret?

Care to expand on your method?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I stay above 3000 RPM mostly and do lots of 7500 pulls (I usually don't go 8250), city driving, never use 6th and notice no oil loss on the dipstick, only in the catch can...maybe 3 tablespoons.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Why is that a secret?

Care to expand on your method?
It's not, I was joking. Dawgs method about sums it up. That's pretty much what I do with new engines. There was a guy that had a website years ago that basically outlined the procedure and it involved doing runs up to redline and then doing a cooldown followed by another redline run followed by another cooldown and he suggested doing an oil change shortly thereafter. I originally read this guys suggestion in a magazine way back then. Remember magazines? :D Later, after Al Gore invented the internet, the guy created a website devoted to it.

Ive been doing it for years (1973) Kawasaki Z1 was the first new engine I did it on and countless other motorcycles, cars and trucks since over the years and I'm not exaggerating in the least when I state I've never had a vehicle that used any oil between oil changes.

If piston rings are mated properly in a new engine, it will not consume oil. With properly mated rings, you can drive any speeds you want and not consume oil. Ready for the ultimate heresy? I also don't believe in Catch cans.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Cars don't use oil!!!??? Oh thats right!!! My R runs on pixie dust lololololo
Sponsored