HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If this makes it to the US, I'm moving to Alaska. Good luck enforcing it there.
This is 'Merica. Won't be a problem. The same companies that make front plate mounts that fold under the bumper will make arms that pop up with a clip you can hold a fake speed limit sign for your car to see.
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
This is 'Merica. Won't be a problem. The same companies that make front plate mounts that fold under the bumper will make arms that pop up with a clip you can hold a fake speed limit sign for your car to see.
LOL at image recognition for implementation... so if you're passing a truck that blocks the signage dropping from 70 to 55 in Wilmur, TX you're SOL.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Anyone that’s served in the military learns that a few can ruin something for everyone. With a growing population, all it takes is a couple high profile cases and people fk’n up and killing the right people and with any political pressure it could happen. I doubt anytime soon. Probably within ten years.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Some insurance companies have that OBD2 card that gets plugged in so they can see what you've been doing speed wise. I think the government and insurance companies will insist you use it or pay dearly. Just a matter of time IMO.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Fast forward a bit and people will find the mere thought of manually controlling a car will be considered irresponsible or even suicidal. The thought that manually driving one's car was normal will be forgotten. Sort of like how it can be when someone mentions turning off their traction control, as if there wasn't a point where TC was just a luxury :giggle:

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I think I figured out what the politicians are doing.

This is in preparation for driverless vehicles, (water will flow better in a pipe where all the water is at same speed, no turbulence). They know the biggest issue will be non driverless vehicle going faster than driverless vehicles which will cause mayhem when they become more mainstream. So the politicians are setting the stage under the pretense of stopping speeders, getting the technology in place.

Ten years from now when driverless cars become the norm then they will demand all car's speed to be computer controled. That speed will be determined by the flow speed of surrounding vehicles.
By then we will be frogs in boiling water

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I think you hit the nail on the head here Interceptor.

I have nothing against having one of these driverless cars / semi automated cars for going to work in 365 days a year. The more people using these, the better the roads will flow etc and I will spend less time stuck in traffic jams. I strongly suspect my next new car will be something with more compute power than my laptop.

However I'm keeping the mustang as a second car for weekends and so I can operate outside the new rules in 20 years time when there are no alternatives but to get a "classic" car if you want driving involvement.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It's NOT the speed that causes accidents, it's the driver not paying attention (and usually the one that gets hit by the person speeding). The ONLY way to reduce accidents is to take away humans from the equation of driving at all.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The ONLY way to reduce accidents is to take away humans from the equation of driving at all.
You obviously haven't seen the crashes from Google, Uber and Tesla with their automated self driving cars.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fast forward a bit and people will find the mere thought of manually controlling a car will be considered irresponsible or even suicidal.
I think people will become too lazy or can't be bothered, a significant number already can't be bothered to change their own gears

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Some interesting responses to this. First I don't like or would want to comply with a law like that, but it does show a theme or pattern for the future. If you extent the thinking out.....save lives by changing drivers the ability to force a car into a bad situation......change cars from user driven to self driven to save lives...…(now the extension) …...eradicate major diseases from killing people.....eliminate common sicknesses like cold/flu etc...….eliminate effects of old age...….eliminate all breakdown of physical functions due to use...….eliminate aging entirely......so in affect the EU is contributing to making it possible for a person to live forever. So at some point, the creation of new humans will become moot and humanity will stagnate and no longer evolve outside of brain activity. To me this type of future is no more unrealistic as telling someone that people will walk on the moon 5000 years ago. So the moral of the story is if you want to live forever, don't stop the EU from making crazy laws to save lives :-)

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
OBDII wasn't even a thing until 1994
If this does become a thing, then it'll probably be handled like the OBDI to OBDII. Pre 95 will be excempt because it's just cheaper that way. Gov will just wait for the older models to decay. In 20 years there will be these hybrid/full electric auto driven Mustang GTs making stupid amounts of power with no means to use it. Then you'll maybe see a bunch of older s197s and s550s like you do foxbody mustangs. People will be making posts asking if you can buy and have the good ol' coyote make hybrid levels of power for cheap. Then those with the new hybrid/all electric will be making posts asking how to make the cars soind like "old mustangs" with the general answer being "buy an old mustang."

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many of those crashes are caused by human drivers doing things that the machine doesn't know what to do about.
Errrr yeah. So what? I hit someone Judge because they pedestrian did something I was not expecting. How does this make the case for self driving cars??
Sponsored