Sponsored

So the EU wants cars to self-regulate to the speed limit

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I didn't say pedestrians, I said drivers. Human drivers do stupid shit that the computer doesn't have an answer to. If there were less/zero dumbass humans behind the wheel, the accident rate of the machines would be close to zero. Problem is, this is when they become self aware. Google executives try to pull the plug. The machines fight back. Judgment Day.
You ever have a computer crash on you?

How about literally?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You obviously haven't seen the crashes from Google, Uber and Tesla with their automated self driving cars.
Yes, I have. And those are learning curves. Additionally, those cars are forced to engage in a human-driven-centric environment.

Auto-pilot cars could be infinitely more "safe" if the roads were designed for them and not for human drivers. Ultimately the only thing one would have to worry about is hacking, network failure, or location/proximity sensor failure -- all of which, once refined, would be rare occurrences and on the whole far superior to the human brain and the human body's reaction time. Prepare to be pushed around in a baby cart by a terminator bud...

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Auto-pilot cars could be infinitely more "safe" if the roads were designed for them and not for human drivers.
Interesting thought. You know, we could set aside special areas, just for them. Give them the right of way along them. Then, to minimize the degrees of freedom in the programming, we could, I don't know, set down metal guide paths, something that would only accommodate a special set of wheels that fit onto them. Have them start and stop at defined passenger interface points. Build a network from there.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Auto-pilot cars could be infinitely more "safe" if the roads were designed for them and not for human drivers. Ultimately the only thing one would have to worry about is hacking, network failure, or location/proximity sensor failure -- all of which, once refined, would be rare occurrences and on the whole far superior to the human brain and the human body's reaction time. Prepare to be pushed around in a baby cart by a terminator bud...
I'd like to see the Terminator's self driving car try to keep up with me on the twisty back roads at 80~100 MPH.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My money's on 1980s Arnold.
We will all have been dead for hundreds of years by the time that could ever happen.

The self driving cars we'll see in our lifetime will be nothing more than a benign shuttle bus crusing along at the speed limit or less all day long like a line of lemmings heading for the cliff.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would be really surprised if people let politicians get away with a rule like that here in America. Almost no one drives the speed limit. Even the people constantly looking at their phones instead of the road drive over the speed limit.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I wonder.... Did the people in the early 1900s really think they would always have horses

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I didn't say pedestrians, I said drivers. Human drivers do stupid shit that the computer doesn't have an answer to. If there were less/zero dumbass humans behind the wheel, the accident rate of the machines would be close to zero. Problem is, this is when they become self aware. Google executives try to pull the plug. The machines fight back. Judgment Day.
Im happy for self driving cars as long as there is an option for people who don't want to be driven by a machine, if the insurance taxes are tripled for those who want to drive themselves to persuade people to be driven by a machine then fine. Means less idiots driving themselves on the road.

GT.GV.PILOT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
It turns out that Ford already has a system in some of its cars sold in the EU. One such model is the Focus, all of which are about to get the system.

http://brochure.ford.co.uk/ui/player.html?model=newfocus&market=en-gb&visual=IntelligentSpeedAssist

In the implementation in the video, the driver can turn it on and off. Regulations will probably go after the OFF button.

One other thing. At 0:25 into the video, is that a HUD on the Focus? WTF doesn't the Mustang get this (although it looks like an ugly implementation)?
I’ve flown airplanes with HUD and loved it - once I got used to it.

GT.GV.PILOT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
They say it will save 1,700 lives per year out of a population of 512.6 million. Nothing wrong with saving peoples lives. Now, how much extra time commuting will it add per year in total. Quality of life cost..... So what is also interesting is during the transition period, you will have new cars driving the speed limit and older cars just carrying on, so in other an overall greater discrepancy in speed between the new cars and the old. That could result in an increase accidents......hmmmmm. Maybe they factored that into the 1,700...
The Adaptive Cruise Control works very well. It matches the car ahead if it is slower than my set speed. If I signal to change lanes to pass, it goes right back to my set speed. Takes a little getting used to, but I think I’m going to like it.

Sponsored

Derf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2016 Performance pack
Next, a car that will send reports to the police everytime you go over the limit and you get a ticket for each time you went over..

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Suddenly ahead of me
Across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires
To run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase
-Neal Peart 1981

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has a way to limit the speed that you can go. It’s called MyKey and no one pays attention to it. It is suppose to be able for you to program a key that will limit top speed and other factors. It is great for parents and should never be used by government.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Next, a car that will send reports to the police everytime you go over the limit and you get a ticket for each time you went over..
Seems like a lot of wasted motion. It will probably just pull over and stop until you swipe your credit card.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Ah, like in Demolition Man! We will all be the "John Spartans" from that movie.
Sponsored