Sponsored

So, has everyone made peace with the 2K rattle?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
No rattles or ticks here.
Sponsored

Mad Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2013 Fusion
So if it's the injection pump, why is mine no longer making the noise with a new engine and the original injection pump? It rattled like crazy before the engine was replaced. I just took it out at lunch and there is ZERO rattle.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
My 2019 has the rattle at 2000 rpm on light throttle. My opinion as a retired Porsche mechanic is it sounds like a wrist pin clearance issue either at the piston rod small end or the piston boss that the wrist pin floats in.

Sponsored

george g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
george
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2004 gto
If a wrist pin is banging the cylinder wall that bad, you'ld have a seriuos oil burner in short time, or a busted piston.

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
The rattle at 2K is a thing I've personally noticed all the way back on my 4.6 2v cars. It seems to be something inherent about the nature of the Ford Modular family of motors. I've pretty much developed a sense for it as 2K approaches, regardless the mustang lol some exhaust setups seemingly hide it a tad but that's it.

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
If a wrist pin is banging the cylinder wall that bad, you'ld have a seriuos oil burner in short time, or a busted piston.
Not banging the cylinder wall, the pin is held in the piston by two circlips. The noise is most likley the pin rattling in the small end bearing of the connecting rod. Seen it and heard it many times in the past.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
“According to McFarland, one of these challenges in particular is the bore for the wrist pins. While not visible to the naked eye, at the OEM level the wrist pin bore is offset from the factory in all modular engines, including the current Coyote, Roadrunner, and Trinity engines. The reason for this says Diamond’s Ron Beaubien is, “The Modular engine is inherently noisy, if you make the wrist pin bore straight up the pistons knock. So the pin is offset to give it more positive thrust until it gets up to temperature. This reduces wrist pin slap or knock when cold.”“

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4027005-ticking-noise-from-motor.html

ticks are common in cars with DI. Usually it's the DI fuel injectors but each case is different.
I’ll check it out but I’ve got both the tick and the rattle. Both the rattle and what I believe is normal fuel injector noise is consistent. Same pace. Rattle is 2-3k rpm. Fuel injectors I hear at idle. The tick is inconsistently spaced. Almost like a hot exhaust settling while it cools. But obviously up towards the engine bay. Ceratec is on the way for the tick. Warm up the car to mitigate the rattle and know the fuel injector sound is normal.

Sponsored

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
BINGO!! I've worked on cars for fifty years I've heard this sound before. Wrist pin knock, rattle whatever. Usually on worn engines though.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll check it out but I’ve got both the tick and the rattle. Both the rattle and what I believe is normal fuel injector noise is consistent. Same pace. Rattle is 2-3k rpm. Fuel injectors I hear at idle. The tick is inconsistently spaced. Almost like a hot exhaust settling while it cools. But obviously up towards the engine bay. Ceratec is on the way for the tick. Warm up the car to mitigate the rattle and know the fuel injector sound is normal.
I don't know anything about the rattle. I don't have it. Ceratec didn't work for me.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Strangely enough, my 2017 has a hint of the 2k rattle when the engine is cold. Once warmed up, it's quiet as a mouse. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and not concerned about it at all. Every Ford mod motor I have had has made noise.

My old 5.4 2v F150 had piston slap so bad it sounded like a diesel. Still running strong as I sold it to a buddy. Has almost 200k on it now.

My wife's old 4.63v in her explorer made some cam phaser noise I think. Got rid of it at 100k, noise never changed and the car ran perfectly. Never used any oil for the 12 years we had it.

My current 2011 5.0 F150 also has some piston slap on warm up. Pretty loud actually, almost like a rod knock. Once at full temp, no noise. I guess some reports of oblong cylinders...people were having short blocks replaced under warranty. Nope, not concerned and truck runs great.

Just turn up the radio people! :rockon:

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
Strangely enough, my 2017 has a hint of the 2k rattle when the engine is cold. Once warmed up, it's quiet as a mouse. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and not concerned about it at all. Every Ford mod motor I have had has made noise.

My old 5.4 2v F150 had piston slap so bad it sounded like a diesel. Still running strong as I sold it to a buddy. Has almost 200k on it now.

My wife's old 4.63v in her explorer made some cam phaser noise I think. Got rid of it at 100k, noise never changed and the car ran perfectly. Never used any oil for the 12 years we had it.

My current 2011 5.0 F150 also has some piston slap on warm up. Pretty loud actually, almost like a rod knock. Once at full temp, no noise. I guess some reports of oblong cylinders...people were having short blocks replaced under warranty. Nope, not concerned and truck runs great.

Just turn up the radio people! :rockon:

That don't make it right though!

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I don't know anything about the rattle. I don't have it. Ceratec didn't work for me.
I don't expect it to work for the rattle. Too many examples of it working for the tick. Sorry it didn't work for you, but at worst, it's a 20 dollar experiment that fails. Juice is worth the squeeze.
Sponsored