Sponsored

So, has everyone made peace with the 2K rattle?

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
It occurred to me over the weekend that the number of 2K Rattle threads in the forum has dropped remarkably of late. In fact, I can't think of the last time I saw one.

So what's the deal? People made peace with it? "That's why we have warranties"? "What rattle"?

Asking for a friend. ;)
I just treat it like I still live in Michigan and it's February. Even though I now live in Southern Indiana and it's early September. Let it warm up and I don't notice it that much. Cold start and go, and oh yeah... that's when I really hear/feel it.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I just happened to come across this thread. I'm not aware of the issue you guys are talking about as I have never heard this with my 2016 GT. However, everything this man says about piston slap is correct. Engines with forged pistons have this a lot as the forged pistons shrink even more as they cool.
Because it's the gen 3 coyote that has it.

Fast forward to 11:22.
Yeah I've seen this before. I get the impression that the guy doesn't really know exactly what "rattle" is being referred to. If he was right then that means more cars than not have the "wrong" pistons for three consecutive years.

But more like Ford should have fixed this crap a long time ago
Or maybe there's nothing to fix? Your own theory is that it's the DI pump turning on. What would need to be fixed, in that case?

I'm of the camp that thinks it's just the cam phasers. I did a lot of scouring the web when I first got my car and heard the sound, on different cars, that was consideres the vvt/vct system. There was also some stuff on svtperformance where some gen 1 guys had a rattle and it was noisy cam phasers, but it was a minority. The gen 3 uses different cam phasers than the other generations, so it makes sense to me.

Whatever the reason, I also don't think it's anything bad. I'm glad it's finally starting to die down.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Fast forward to 11:22.
They're talking about the 'tick', not the 2K rattle.

None of us know what exactly is causing the tick or the 2K rattle, but it's obviously bad tolerances on the former, and lack of R&D on the latter. But exactly what's happening is just pure speculation on our parts. The first could be piston slap, rod knock, etc. The rattle has too high a frequency to be engine related IMO, so whatever it is, it could be mitigated with better R&D, to eliminate that resonant frequency. That includes changing pipe diameters, adding an anti-resonance chamber, adding weights, making pipes thicker, etc. But Ford obviously decided not to anything about it.

At any rate, the bottom line with the 2K rattle for me is simple: Would I have passed on the Bullitt due to it? My answer is no. I don't like it, but it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. And with the stereo and/or exhaust in normal and above, can't hear it, and I probably drive 99% of the time like that, so not a real issue. But like a typical engineer, I want to know what is causing it. Ha ha. The tick would bother me a lot more... but it's also reportedly not detrimental to the engine, so maybe I'd just learn to accept it as well, if my engine eventually makes it.

Last edited:

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, I've made peace with it. Has been exactly the same for about 9K miles now. Plus, I got the Ford ESP so I'm good for a total of 6 years/125K miles.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I finally heard this the other morning on my GT. Loafing along in 4th right at 2k, only could hear it if I gave it light throttle but very obvious. This was when engine was still cold and after driving for a couple miles could not be duplicated any more.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I think mine is either the same or slightly louder than when cold so I can't see slap as a possible cause for that. Mine is loud though with the windows down and the stereo on I hear it reverberating off of things. With windows up I barely hear it. I don't like it but the car uses literally no oil and runs like a wild animal.

It has never changed in frequency since I first heard it around 700 miles. No doubt it did it from the getgo I just didn't realize it til then.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It's better than bore scoring in a Porsche engine. I used to have nightmares about that. A new coyote short block is chump change in comparison.

Sponsored

Mad Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2013 Fusion
Mine had both the tick and the 2K rattle. Just had the engine replaced because of cylinder scoring and excessive oil consumption. The new engine is very quiet. No tick and no rattle. I only have about 250 miles on it so far so that may change.

I hope it stays quiet but if it comes back I won't worry about it. It still makes me wonder what causes the noises however. The rattle sounds like cam chain noise to me. There is a video that shows a coyote with the oil pan removed and they are moving the rod side to side and the noise it made when the rods came together sounded just like the typewriter tick. I'm still amazed Ford hasn't addressed this even if it doesn't affect longevity. It's just bad PR to have the Mustang make these noises.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The cold start tick is DI tick. Mine doesn't even tick in the warm summer months.

george g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
george
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2004 gto
The 2k rattle sounds just like the diesel powered generators i used to work on, and that came from the injection pump on them.