Sponsored

Slotted rotors

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Looking to upgrade the pads/rotors on my 2019 Gt, non PP car. Looking for slotted rotors but can only seem to be able to find kits for PP equipped vehicles. I’ve looked on Lethal, Beefcake racing, AM, etc but haven’t been able to find a single piece kit.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can look into these, they have rear rotors as well:

https://www.steeda.com/DBA-Mustang-...d-Slotted-Front-Rotor-15-17-602-DBA42164BLKXS

Unless you're purely going for looks, you would be better off going with this:

https://www.steeda.com/Baer-Mustang-EradiSpeed-Front-Rotors-GT-PP-2261042

The reverse hat design is not great for cooling, and drilled/slotted rotors are purely cosmetic. There's also increased risk of cracking if subjected to track use.
Not for looks and I wouldn’t track the car. I just feel like there’s something left to be desired with the stock brakes and would like better braking performance.
Thanks!

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah if you want more force, you need more pistons and a wider swept area.

0/84 is great if you can take advantage. Pretty much prevents you from going upside-down if you plan on trading. Keep the stock parts and put them back on if/when you do sell. Then, you can sell the upgrade kit on here.
yeah I’ll probably hold on to it until about the 2nd year of the new platform. Learned my lesson on buying the first year S550...

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Believe it or not the rotor design you're looking at. Is less efficient than a solid rotor, less surface area for clamping. The slots & holes are for cooling, prevents fade.

Look at pads for better braking. Also know the style of pad, will have a direct affect on the rotors surface wear.

It is a dance, determined by trial and error. Long part life, good stopping, stick with OME, and not auto zombie after market crap.

Read all the time folks all worried about brake dust. BFD washing usually resolves that, not riding the breaks also solves some of it.

Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
It is a dance, determined by trial and error. Long part life, good stopping, stick with OME, and not auto zombie after market crap.
What Rapid Red said above is true. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock brakes for normal driving on the street.

I have a non-PP car, and the Steeda slotted rotors for track use. FWIW.

If you want "better performance" which I am interpreting to mean a better pedal feel with more initial bite, then it's going to be all about the pads, not the calipers and rotors.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Have you tried Rockauto?

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Believe it or not the rotor design you're looking at. Is less efficient than a solid rotor, less surface area for clamping. The slots & holes are for cooling, prevents fade.

Look at pads for better braking. Also know the style of pad, will have a direct affect on the rotors surface wear.

Read all the time folks all worried about brake dust. BFD washing usually resolves that, not riding the breaks also solves some of it.
[/QUOTE
What Rapid Red said above is true. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock brakes for normal driving on the street.

I have a non-PP car, and the Steeda slotted rotors for track use. FWIW.

If you want "better performance" which I am interpreting to mean a better pedal feel with more initial bite, then it's going to be all about the pads, not the calipers and rotors.
Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think mild arguments can be made for slotted at least in street duty. Rotors don't seem to get as badly scored when little bits of grit have someplace to get scraped off into (mainly long term appearance) and there is some evidence to support there being a slight improvement in initial braking under thoroughly wet conditions (similar reasoning). Small percentage-play stuff, most likely.

Norm

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Looking to upgrade the pads/rotors on my 2019 Gt, non PP car. Looking for slotted rotors but can only seem to be able to find kits for PP equipped vehicles. I’ve looked on Lethal, Beefcake racing, AM, etc but haven’t been able to find a single piece kit.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Check out R1 concepts. Get the high carbon Geomet rotors an OEp pads.

They also currently have 30% off which ends in 13 hours.

Thank me later :)

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think mild arguments can be made for slotted at least in street duty. Rotors don't seem to get as badly scored when little bits of grit have someplace to get scraped off into (mainly long term appearance) and there is some evidence to support there being a slight improvement in initial braking under thoroughly wet conditions (similar reasoning). Small percentage-play stuff, most likely.

Norm

I gave that one some thought, have had many cars with disc and cannot say that I have ever seen that happen.

I mean it sounds good, would/could make a great sales pitch. But what size stone or pebble can work is way between the for the most part, a zero gap.

Pads do not retract away from the rotor as a shoe will from a drum.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I gave that one some thought, have had many cars with disc and cannot say that I have ever seen that happen.

I mean it sounds good, would/could make a great sales pitch. But what size stone or pebble can work is way between the for the most part, a zero gap.

Most pads have a vertical cutout between the pad surface in the middle of the pad. Rocks can get stuck in there.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Most pads have a vertical cutout between the pad surface in the middle of the pad. Rocks can get stuck in there.
Vertical cutout true enough, I'll take your word for it. Can also get struck by lightning.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Vertical cutout true enough, I'll take your word for it. Can also get struck by lightning.
Not sure what getting struck by lightning has to do with slotted rotors. Go fly a kite in a thunderstorm and let me know how that works out for you.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

It's something I've actually noticed, going from plain to grooved/slotted on the same car. Couple of times, actually.

Pads do not run at a true zero gap to the rotor. Most calipers actively retract the pads minutely for mpg reasons, and any rotor runout at all will knock the pads back.

Pads that are chamfered on the leading edge (noise control?) are probably a lot more susceptible than square-edged pad shapes.

In order to get to any mid-pad slot, any grit would still have to run between the pad and the rotor over the leading half of the pad . . .

But like I said, it's mostly an appearance issue.

Norm
Sponsored