Sponsored

Sirus XM

SideShowB0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K4342
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious, what's so special about SiriusXM that it's worth paying a subscription for? Is it really so much better than regular FM radio stations?.
yes. i live in a major metro area (LA) and after scanning the entire FM spectrum many times over the years, i only come up with 3 or 4 stations i can stand. the variety on xm is huge, so i listen to it much more than radio. i might actually keep it if i can finagle the $5/mo plan. Before getting the xm trial, i only listened to my playlists on the phone thur bluetooth.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
If I remember correctly I had to call to activate the free trial, I bought the car used. They made the $2 for 3 extra months at that time.

I set reminders on my phone for something like a week before subscriptions renew/expire. When they pop up I call.
When I called to cancel/renew they tried to give me a different, more expensive plan. I simply told them I wanted the same offer they kept sending my wife or I wanted to cancel. They gave me the offer. There were fees and taxes. I don't remember exactly how much they were but it wasn't enough to make me not sign up. I don't remember having to sit on hold long to talk to a rep either.

My cars is my DD and am in it a couple of hours a day plus joy rides on weekends and several trips a year from 150 to 600 miles each. I like that it provides another listening option and enjoy many of the channel options. Plus, you can stream it on any connected device so I can use my phone to play it at home or in other cars or sitting at a slot machine...
Oddly enough, my wife got another offer from them today. $5/month for a year for their $17/month plan but no Echo Dot. So that plan should not be hard to get.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have the $60 a year as of last week. Download the app to your phone and play it from the phone app....it gives you more control over how much compression is used.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I have it just for the sports / talk radio

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah my whole thing is even at $60 a year I have Apple Music which is $10/$11 a month so that’s already $120 a year there.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Is there any prospect of SiriusXM improving audio quality? Through a new codec or something? I guess to some extent they are constrained by legacy hardware...but they have to do something. It's too easy to put high-quality music on a USB drive, media player or phone to justify paying the subscription fees they want.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What exactly is $60 a year getting you? Basic Sirius? Or are you getting ALL of the channels and features that can be used with their app when outside of the vehicle?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
It is getting all of the channels that were included in the trial. Yes also the app an online.

What exactly is $60 a year getting you? Basic Sirius? Or are you getting ALL of the channels and features that can be used with their app when outside of the vehicle?

Sponsored

MustangorCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
$60/year is their Select Plan. It includes online streaming. But it's not all of their channels. Missing NFL, Pandora and Howard Stern. The All Access has everything and when you call in, you can get that package for $99/year. No one gets the All Access for $60/year.

I've been with them since 2006 and yes, have had to call in and threaten to cancel to get the best deal either once a year or twice a year since then. Cannot believe it's been that long! The thing about Sirius/XM is most people only listen to 5-7 channels and that's it. If you go up one channel at a time, you'll find tons of great stuff. Much more than streaming music services. If you drive long distances, it's awesome. Especially in the middle of nowhere. Hell, I listen to Trucker Talk and Rural Radio now haha! Never knew they even existed for the first decade plus.

Unfortunately they aren't going to improve their quality. Think it's less compressed online. Then stream to your car radio for a supposed improvement. I can't confirm it's better. Heard it was though.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
$60/year is their Select Plan. It includes online streaming. But it's not all of their channels. Missing NFL, Pandora and Howard Stern. The All Access has everything and when you call in, you can get that package for $99/year. No one gets the All Access for $60/year.

I've been with them since 2006 and yes, have had to call in and threaten to cancel to get the best deal either once a year or twice a year since then. Cannot believe it's been that long! The thing about Sirius/XM is most people only listen to 5-7 channels and that's it. If you go up one channel at a time, you'll find tons of great stuff. Much more than streaming music services. If you drive long distances, it's awesome. Especially in the middle of nowhere. Hell, I listen to Trucker Talk and Rural Radio now haha! Never knew they even existed for the first decade plus.

Unfortunately they aren't going to improve their quality. Think it's less compressed online. Then stream to your car radio for a supposed improvement. I can't confirm it's better. Heard it was though.

That’s what I thought too and thought it was strange to see people replying they’re getting “everything” for only $60.00. I also have been with Sirius since they signed Howard Stern and have never known ANYONE to get the All Access package for under $100...

Sure some may be able to “play the cancel game”, but Sirius isn’t giving away the All Access package for $60 for 12 months.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
We get everything for $200/year for two cars. That's chump change when you think about it. I easily pay more for a couple cases of wine.

We drive all over the Southeast regularly, up to MI at least twice a year, and got tired of not finding any decent FM stations unless you're into country music. I stream the included Pandora stations every day during my morning walk. Makes the 4+ miles go by pretty fast. We Bluetooth speaker it just about everyday at the pool as well.

The low quality in the car is hard for me to detect due to tinnitus and the exhaust.

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Yes, it's their Select plan that is $60/year. All access is not something I'm interested in. Could not care much less about sports on the radio and even less than that about Howard.
As for the audio quality, again I don't care all that much. I'm listening in a convertible so much of whatever quality it already has is lost. Except for the few people who have gone to the pains and expense of improving the car stereo I doubt there's much reason to have a higher quality signal in most cars on the road today.
I like having Sirius because it gives me other options and since I'm not a fan of Pandora or I Heart, etc it works for me.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I misspoke when I wrote, I was getting all of the channels. When I wrote that, I was still on my all-access trial that they had not updated, and see that now it has updated to the Select package.
Sponsored