Sponsored

Is the Performance Package worthwhile?

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
To expect something that cost 2500 in 2017, to cost 2500 in 2021 during covid BS seem pretty unreasonable. The price of things go up over time, shocker

I am 100% capable of doing all of my own work on my car. That said i didn't want to buy a new car to have it sitting undrivable while i mod it when i could be driving it. Its one of the things that has irritated me with my foxbody. Things do not go as planned, a part does not fit, or the wrong part was ordered or something breaks. Now your "weekend" mod turns into one or two weeks. For those that want a dedicated track car this seems fine, for me it was not. My time is worth something.

As already stated by others its important to figure out what you want to do with the car. If your doing a track car and have the knowledge and time to mod it then PP1 probably not your best bet but if you just wanna have fun with the car occasionally and like the styling of the PP1 then i see nothing wrong with it.
Sponsored

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
No such thing as PP2 anymore, right?
The Mach 1 has everything the PP2 had and more. You can even get the PP2 wheels as an option I believe.
So to answer your question, no the PP2 option on the GT is not available.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm not trying to be jerk, just trying to say that straight line hp is great, but we all don't just drive 1320' at a time, what about taking 55mph curves at 130mph?, being able to stop quickly from 130mph if there was something blocking your path. HP is great, but it needs to be a part of the total package if you want the car to handle like it should.
How about taking your Mustang to the Silver States Classic and racing for 90 miles, the longest straightaway is about 14 miles, but the rest is not straight, far from it, but we aren't talking about racing, we're just talking about straight line driving on the street, right?
First, on track time at any event where you take a mostly stock car is limited to maybe 45 minutes and most don't allow full on racing, so racing for hours has no bearing. Do brakes, absolutely, and stock brake would probably start fading after one lap...if you chose a track event, especially with a novice driver. Second, if me with my 480hp PP1 and you with your 220+hp more mostly stock car were to road race for 45 minutes, my guess is that you at least be doing some "off-and-ons" because of loosing your brakes, and if we both came into the apex together I'm pretty sure I'd be coming out the other side before you because the straightaway is the only place you'd have an advantage.
I think if you know and understand how to drive a 700+hp car, then braking from 70mph shouldn't be an issue, but if you are doing 130mph, it can become an issue in the blink of an eye, and as I mentioned earlier, I doubt 99% of the people driving 700+hp cars don't have a clue much less know what to do in an emergency when driving that fast.
In any race car/street car I've ever built, the suspension comes first, then the HP. Try going 136mph in less than 10 seconds and stopping at the end of 1,320', although a stock suspended GT probably wouldn't do that anyway, even with slicks
There's no need to pay for an entire package just to get the brakes and suspension when you can do them separately for less money. My Ford Track Suspension is better than what the performance pack offered.
AGAIN: this thread is determining the worth of the money being spent on the performance package. I'm not saying don't ever install brakes or suspension. What I'm saying is that you can progress your build more with the money spent in a different direction. You can easily buy brakes and suspension and install them. You get more for your money by having the car supercharged by Ford to keep the warranty.
What I am also saying is that street driving, if that's all that it's used for, is not a big deal with a supercharger. ESPECIALLY THE FORD TUNE that many have said is conservative compared to Lund or VMP. The supercharger comes with an 85 mm pulley which pushes maybe 6 or 8 psi.
Generally, if you watch YouTubers, most "racing," is three honks and go a very short distance while at a roll. That's what most of these people are doing.
And what I'm saying about the performance pack is that it's really not even enough to make the car a full blown track car anyway. It's still street car parts. This also makes the performance pack worth less the more people try to say it is needed for track use.

And with all of this, nobody even mentioned the issue of the half shafts.

There are plenty of people that got performance packs, then went boost, and now they're replacing the parts from the performance pack for something better. Exhibit A: replacing 3.73 gears with 3.31 gears. Can't even sell the used gears. It's just a waste of money.

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
There are plenty of people that got performance packs, then went boost, and now they're replacing the parts from the performance pack for something better. Exhibit A: replacing 3.73 gears with 3.31 gears. Can't even sell the used gears. It's just a waste of money.
One of the reasons I wanted the PP1 was the 3.73 gears, The Michelin Pilot 4s tires and especially the brakes. Have not intention to add a supercharger.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
"There's no need to pay for an entire package just to get the brakes and suspension when you can do them separately for less money."

You saying the only upgrade needed to go to the next level of brake. From the plane Jane GT, is calipers, 4 piston to 6 ?

You sporting a 2015, it have IRS ?

I like the Exhibit A : taller gear removed for a shorter one. What are you after more MPG ?

"I'm saying about the performance pack is that it's really not even enough to make the car a full blown track car anyway."

No kidding, and some box stock rig with a huffer is even further away.

Funny stuff ...

Sponsored

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
One of the reasons I wanted the PP1 was the 3.73 gears, The Michelin Pilot 4s tires and especially the brakes. Have not intention to add a supercharger.
Then obviously, you shouldn't get a supercharger.

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
Then obviously, you shouldn't get a supercharger.
This Thread is about PP1 not superchargers, which is why I am reading it and not reading a thread about Superchargers that I am not interested in.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the performance package is totally worth the price and gives the owner a platform to build on.
you can get BETTER parts than paying freaking $6000 for a kit that at best costs $3000. The PP1 suspension is a total loss. Get the Track pack instead. Get a much more capacity radiator from Steeda (3 to choose from) for the same amount the Ford part costs. You'll need a hefty intercooler or you're just wasting money. There are some very good ones on that count as well.

The brake kit can be sourced for $1200 on the high side and you can fix all the other IRS warts and diff mess while you're at it.

The PP1 is a complete waste of money, and I own one. But I spent nearly 3 grand to fix it. So I would have been HUGELY ahead buying a non-PP1 and doing all the upgrades just once instead of twice.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This Thread is about PP1 not superchargers, which is why I am reading it and not reading a thread about Superchargers that I am not interested in.
Yet here you are interacting with me.

This might be the fourth time but what the hell, I'll say it again. It's about the worth of the performance pack. The Ford website might serve your needs and desires a little more if you just want to read about what's in the performance pack. What might also help is not replying to me.

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
Yet here you are interacting with me.

This might be the fourth time but what the hell, I'll say it again. It's about the worth of the performance pack. The Ford website might serve your needs and desires a little more if you just want to read about what's in the performance pack. What might also help is not replying to me.
Guess I could say the same thing. Jeez,

Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I don't really want the Magnaride or Active Exhaust because I want to do my own Cold-Air intake and an H-Pipe Cat-Back with Long-Tube Headers. I also want to do Coilovers. So Magnaride and Active Exhaust are a waste for me.

As I mentioned, I'm worried about the stiffer Chassis Tuning, K-Brace, Stability Control, ABS, and EPAS Tuning, and things like that.
How loud do you want it to be? Active exhaust with headers sounds SICK. Heard one at the drag strip a few weeks ago. Quiet mode doesn't sound too bad but it gets rid of the need for an aftermarket exhaust.

Magnaride was what made my wife like a mustang. She hated my 300a and the way it rode. Loves the magnaride and actually noticed a difference. Not something I would expect from her :)

Anyway, if you have mods in mind, it probably won't matter. You're going to hear all kinds of opinions.. Mine changed after going from a base model to a car that was loaded. I loved the first one but it doesn't hold a candle to having some more creature comforts.

I bought a PP on both because it was what I wanted... In the end I swapped out rims so that probably wasn't worth it. I do like the upgraded brakes though.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Guess I could say the same thing. Jeez,
I compared what Ford offers when you buy the car to say that the performance pack isn't worth it. But people seem to be crying about someone possibly getting a supercharger and not spending money on the things they spent their money on instead. The tears are dragging it out.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To expect something that cost 2500 in 2017, to cost 2500 in 2021 during covid BS seem pretty unreasonable. The price of things go up over time, shocker
25%/yr inflation is NOT rational by any metric. The price of PP1 was overpriced at $4000 but tolerable in 2018/19. 5000 in 2020 and 6000 in 2021 is ABSOLUTELY highway ROBBERY.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
How loud do you want it to be? Active exhaust with headers sounds SICK. Heard one at the drag strip a few weeks ago. Quiet mode doesn't sound too bad but it gets rid of the need for an aftermarket exhaust.

Magnaride was what made my wife like a mustang. She hated my 300a and the way it rode. Loves the magnaride and actually noticed a difference. Not something I would expect from her :)

Anyway, if you have mods in mind, it probably won't matter. You're going to hear all kinds of opinions.. Mine changed after going from a base model to a car that was loaded. I loved the first one but it doesn't hold a candle to having some more creature comforts.

I bought a PP on both because it was what I wanted... In the end I swapped out rims so that probably wasn't worth it. I do like the upgraded brakes though.
Does the active exhaust have a resonator? I had headers that were way too loud and made my borla sound bad. I ended up using a borla resonator and mbrp catnack instead of the borla with the headers. It sounds like a throaty borla now with zero drone.
Sponsored