Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
We have GPF in Europe so like 20/30 HP less than the american Gen 3's we also don't have Torsen or 3.73 gears. Our cars come equipped with half PP1 package: Breaks and suspension but no Torsen, no 3.73 gears, no pressure gauges, no strut tower brace. My car got on the dyno and have 320WHP/395hp 480 nm torque. I agree with adding after market suspension and parts but the post was about not spending the money for PP1 and buying a supercharger instead.

The PPI does not have the tall rear gear in the US. that is in the PP2. That sounds odd you would not have IRS are you sure ?
Sponsored

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
As has been said here, what do you plan to do with your car? Performance packages from Ford are dialed in. Period. If you're a seasonal user and serious tracker, then it's camber plates, tire combinations, a diff cooler, shorten up your manual shifter and for the most part you're good for many hours and miles of pure exhilaration.

Other than that.... it's all personality and ego lol on what you do!

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The PPI does not have the tall rear gear in the US. that is in the PP2. That sounds odd you would not have IRS are you sure ?
The PP1 comes with 3.73 and Torsen in USA no ? What you mean we don't have IRS ?

My car is 2017 so Gen 2 Coyote. It's Euro spec car rated at 420 hp but put 395 on the dyno on a very warm July day. It has PP1 Suspension and it does have Brembo Brakes, and PP1 front control arms with break deflectors, have the PP1 wheels as well and 255/40 and 275/40 PZero's.

It don't have Oil gauges in the center console.
It don't have Torsen differential and it run 3.55 gears as well not the 3.73 ones found on PP1 cars.
It didn't have Strut tower brace on top of the engine to it did have the metal K shaped extension to the firewall. I did added aftermarket FP Strut Tower brace though.

The 2018 and later cars come with Magneride by default in Europe though. But they still have GPF and our Bullitt for example is rated at 460 hp not 480 hp.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The post, if you noticed, is "Is the Performance Package Worth It?" And my answer is that the $6000 is better spent towards a $10,000 supercharger installed and warrantied by Ford. The point being made is value.
This much I can agree with.

And in reality, most people only want a badass street car and either rarely or never track the car.
But this part right here doesn't require supercharging. Most people are fine with just doing a tune, better tires on wider wheels, a cat-back, maybe axle gears, and enough suspension work to keep wheel hop at bay.

Norm

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
My worry is that I won't be able to do certain things that come with the Performance Package, like the stiffer Chassis, K-Brace, Stability Control, ABS, and EPAS Tuning, and things like that.

I can easily get a larger radiator, new brakes, and a larger sway bar.

And the Oil/Vacuum gauge I'm pretty sure is something you can find inside the infotainment, so I don't need those extra gauges.
Those look like good questions and thoughts to me.

Apparently there's also a difference in some front control arms and their bushings. Ford Performance sells PP1 control arms as a set, and you can get them through a vendor for about $280.

I had visions of taking my Mustang to an HPDE and decided I'd much rather start with factory 15" brake rotors than the base GT rotors. If I understand correctly, people tracking stock-ish Mustangs seem to do okay with the optional brakes, and don't need anything bigger.

I also got my car at a bit of a discount, since it's a 2020 model, and was still at the dealer 5 months into the 2021 model year.
Maybe it's not worth the money to start over with a new PP1 car, if you already have a GT in your possession. New-car depreciation is especially bad on musclecars, right? And you'd lose a zillion monies on a trade-in?

Sponsored

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
I take my Mustang to a Ford Performance Dealer here in AZ, and did ask them about the Roush SC and the warranty it covers, if they install it. The complete kit, M-6066-M8 kit. They gave me a price of $7k for the kit and $3k for installation and would take approximately 2 days to return me with a 3/36k mile warranty which would not affect my Ford warranty, and I'd drive away in a 700hp Mustang. With that said, if you've got a standard GT you'd still have to upgrade brakes, rear end and suspension and a host of other things if you want like oil cooler. If you were contemplating a SC, I'd call Roush and talk to them about what you would and wouldn't need to upgrade.
For me, 500hp N/A is a good number to strive for in my Mustang. I'm in my mid 70's and see the 700+HP Hell Cats and Demons on the street all the time, they out number the Mustangs 10 to 1 in my neck of the woods. I've been drag racing and SCCA road course racing since a lot of you wore diapers and it no longer makes any sense to me for that much HP on the street when 99% of the people don't know how to drive them anyway.
Sorry for the rant, but for me buying a PP1 was the right decision for me and I didn't mind spending the extra $4k. Is the PP1 worth $6k, if you were to go and buy new FPP parts and install them or have them installed...I would almost bet you couldn't buy them for that price. The other thing to contemplate is if you really care about your warranty, if not then do whatever you want...unless you buy a part like the Roush SC, but if you do put parts on the Mustang that it was never born with, well...if something happens and you need warranty work done, you may end up paying out of your pocket to get it done...just a thought.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did you installed an after market radiator ? How you are dealing with the heat from the Super Charger ? I don't mind your approach but for me a Supercharger project done right is way more than 10 000$ more like a 20 000$ project. That's why I didn't liked your comment. Also with the current PP1 price is clear that it's not worth it and I'm not stating that it does. I'm just not happy with just stuck a supercharger approach without supporting mods.
The Ford Performance tune is made with the limits of the car in mind. As soon as you go to a tuner to tune the car a different way, that's something else. But a warrantied Mustang GT with Ford installed supercharger and tune isn't going to ruin the car. And the car will handle and function safely. If someone is going to the track and burning around for hours at high speeds, then the performance pack parts are not going to be enough anyway.
I have the base model radiator and I live in Texas which has summer heat above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I have zero issues with detonation or timing being pulled as a result. Then again, I'm not one these open filament CAI guys. Mine has a lid and that keeps heat away from my air. Just an FYI, don't bother with a radiator other than Ford made because everything else seems to give people a lot of issues with welds failing.
A supercharger doesn't make it feel like you're driving in an ice storm. Tunes these days are very developed. The car is very controlled. I'm able to outrun corvettes and hellcats: zero issues with my brakes. What do you think is going to happen to a supercharged car when it uses the brakes?

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Oh brilliant, supercharge a car with stock suspension & brakes . Great info the way to be a first class poser @ the car show....

Yes the performance package is totally worth the price and gives the owner a platform to build on.
Performance pack suspension is a street car suspension. It's nothing crazy. And a car going 70 mph can slow down using brakes wether it has a 4 banger or a supercharger under the hood.
As someone that actually has a Ford Performance supercharger, the base model brakes work just fine. Also, the Ford tune is done by Ford and they know the limits of the car. The stock internals are strong enough to withstand the power produced by their tunes. I have zero issues with handling, braking, or cooling and that's as someone living in Texas heat.
If you're looking to be serious about tracking, the performance pack "platform" is something you'll be changing out the parts on anyway. If it had a different transmission, I'd say it's worth it.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This much I can agree with.

But this part right here doesn't require supercharging. Most people are fine with just doing a tune, better tires on wider wheels, a cat-back, maybe axle gears, and enough suspension work to keep wheel hop at bay.

Norm
But we don't get these cars just because they're "enough." I mean, 300 horsepower is "enough." There's nothing more satisfying than a guy with new tags thinking he's gonna just beat up on a Mustang GT with his brand new Hellcat and then gapping him with a rather quiet supercharger. Yeah, 500 hp is enough, but that situation with Hellcats will never happen. Most people, once they go down the path of adding power, want to add more and more. These cars are good up to 700 wheel, not crank, but wheel horsepower.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I take my Mustang to a Ford Performance Dealer here in AZ, and did ask them about the Roush SC and the warranty it covers, if they install it. The complete kit, M-6066-M8 kit. They gave me a price of $7k for the kit and $3k for installation and would take approximately 2 days to return me with a 3/36k mile warranty which would not affect my Ford warranty, and I'd drive away in a 700hp Mustang. With that said, if you've got a standard GT you'd still have to upgrade brakes, rear end and suspension and a host of other things if you want like oil cooler. If you were contemplating a SC, I'd call Roush and talk to them about what you would and wouldn't need to upgrade.
For me, 500hp N/A is a good number to strive for in my Mustang. I'm in my mid 70's and see the 700+HP Hell Cats and Demons on the street all the time, they out number the Mustangs 10 to 1 in my neck of the woods. I've been drag racing and SCCA road course racing since a lot of you wore diapers and it no longer makes any sense to me for that much HP on the street when 99% of the people don't know how to drive them anyway.
Sorry for the rant, but for me buying a PP1 was the right decision for me and I didn't mind spending the extra $4k. Is the PP1 worth $6k, if you were to go and buy new FPP parts and install them or have them installed...I would almost bet you couldn't buy them for that price. The other thing to contemplate is if you really care about your warranty, if not then do whatever you want...unless you buy a part like the Roush SC, but if you do put parts on the Mustang that it was never born with, well...if something happens and you need warranty work done, you may end up paying out of your pocket to get it done...just a thought.
3k for install seems extremely high.

Sponsored

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
I'm not trying to be jerk, just trying to say that straight line hp is great, but we all don't just drive 1320' at a time, what about taking 55mph curves at 130mph?, being able to stop quickly from 130mph if there was something blocking your path. HP is great, but it needs to be a part of the total package if you want the car to handle like it should.
How about taking your Mustang to the Silver States Classic and racing for 90 miles, the longest straightaway is about 14 miles, but the rest is not straight, far from it, but we aren't talking about racing, we're just talking about straight line driving on the street, right?
First, on track time at any event where you take a mostly stock car is limited to maybe 45 minutes and most don't allow full on racing, so racing for hours has no bearing. Do brakes, absolutely, and stock brake would probably start fading after one lap...if you chose a track event, especially with a novice driver. Second, if me with my 480hp PP1 and you with your 220+hp more mostly stock car were to road race for 45 minutes, my guess is that you at least be doing some "off-and-ons" because of loosing your brakes, and if we both came into the apex together I'm pretty sure I'd be coming out the other side before you because the straightaway is the only place you'd have an advantage.
I think if you know and understand how to drive a 700+hp car, then braking from 70mph shouldn't be an issue, but if you are doing 130mph, it can become an issue in the blink of an eye, and as I mentioned earlier, I doubt 99% of the people driving 700+hp cars don't have a clue much less know what to do in an emergency when driving that fast.
In any race car/street car I've ever built, the suspension comes first, then the HP. Try going 136mph in less than 10 seconds and stopping at the end of 1,320', although a stock suspended GT probably wouldn't do that anyway, even with slicks

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
But we don't get these cars just because they're "enough." I mean, 300 horsepower is "enough." There's nothing more satisfying than a guy with new tags thinking he's gonna just beat up on a Mustang GT with his brand new Hellcat and then gapping him with a rather quiet supercharger. Yeah, 500 hp is enough, but that situation with Hellcats will never happen. Most people, once they go down the path of adding power, want to add more and more. These cars are good up to 700 wheel, not crank, but wheel horsepower.
I'm just not understanding street racing anymore, for one thing there will always be someone faster with more money and HP than you, plus unless you are doing your street racing on a mostly deserted road, what would happen if either car would have a catastrophic failure?, are there other cars around you or people that you could injure, or even a passenger.
If you want to see who has the faster car, take it to the strip, not the street...IMHO

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
I wanted the PP1 package, the only time my car will see a race track is when we go to watch a race. I wanted a good pkg that didn't require a lot of extra after market parts and work. My shoulders don't allow me to do a lot of it myself anymore.
The GT with Magne Ride and PP1 does pretty much do what I want and I can enjoy the car.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
No such thing as PP2 anymore, right?
Sponsored