Sponsored

Should I be worried - interior windscreen condensation (again!)?

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
I thought you were going to say "some bastard's put their coffee on my bonnet"!

Do you have your driver and pass heating controls set the same?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I thought you were going to say "some bastard's put their coffee on my bonnet"!

Do you have your driver and pass heating controls set the same?
Haha

Yea same temp, a toasty 23 today. I did take off the “auto” setting in favour of turning up the fan speed, and blasting hot air in the cabin/footwells.

Gunna take it in to Ford anyway for a general check up, I needed some new wipers anyway - fun fact it’s £12 for a pair which is pretty good.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Ever the optimist, I suggest the 23 deg patch of windscreen cooled down and gathered the condensation.

My newly acquired Volvo has a 'service position' for the wipers. I should start a thread; "Things Volvo thought about, and Ford forgot".

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Our Mustangs have frameless doors, so the cabin isn't going to be as well sealed against the elements as my A8 was, for example.
I wouldn't be worried about a light mist occassionally appearing on the windsheild.

However, as with a previous car of mine, if the condensation on the windshield is significant amounts of water and large droplets, then I'd be more concerned.
In addition, I wouldn't suspect the same issue unless the carpet was damp also.

So, check the carpets and any dash panel insulation you can get a hand to, in the vacinity of the source of the leak you had fixed.

Fingers crossed for you!!

P.S. I'm deducting one house point for resting the coffee cup on the paint work you often demonstrate to clean and polish with devotion!
:wink:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Our Mustangs have frameless doors, so the cabin isn't going to be as well sealed against the elements as my A8 was, for example.
I wouldn't be worried about a light mist occassionally appearing on the windsheild.

However, as with a previous car of mine, if the condensation on the windshield is significant amounts of water and large droplets, then I'd be more concerned.
In addition, I wouldn't suspect the same issue unless the carpet was damp also.

So, check the carpets and any dash panel insulation you can get a hand to, in the vacinity of the source of the leak you had fixed.

Fingers crossed for you!!

P.S. I'm deducting one house point for resting the coffee cup on the paint work you often demonstrate to clean and polish with devotion!
:wink:
Ahh damn, I knew someone would mention that! Hanging my head in shame :frown:

Given the amount of recent rain I would think if I still had a leak I'd know about it, but then again, that only really becomes obvious once the temp plummets so I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Culprit for condensation was the firewall soundproof thing last time, that thing just holds so much water. I'll let ford take the trim off and peer under the carpet though!

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
Haha

Yea same temp, a toasty 23 today. I did take off the “auto” setting in favour of turning up the fan speed, and blasting hot air in the cabin/footwells.
I am pretty sure this looks like "dew" forming on the inside. As you say you put the blowers on and warmed up the incoming external damp air to 23C. You get out and close the door and the moisture in the air (lets face it its damp at the moment all over the UK) will condense on to the coldest surface first. Unless it happens again under more normal conditions I'd not worry.

ps: I'm a physicist.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I am pretty sure this looks like "dew" forming on the inside. As you say you put the blowers on and warmed up the incoming external damp air to 23C. You get out and close the door and the moisture in the air (lets face it its damp at the moment all over the UK) will condense on to the coldest surface first. Unless it happens again under more normal conditions I'd not worry.

ps: I'm a physicist.
Thanks...does make sense. But just feels too much like how it all started last year, which I really can't go through again, stresses me to even think it might happen.

Physicist ay? Funnily enough I was only looking earlier this week at studying physics, may have to pick your brains at some point :)

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
There needs to be something wet in the car to create a patch like that. The doors don't leak through the seals if they are in place correctly. Interestingly it is the opposite side to the original pictures.

I would be highly suspicious of a wet pollen filter. See the video below how to check - it is right underneath where the condensation has formed. If it is wet it may indicate a leak in through the scuttle somewhere, possibly because of a misaligned cover under the bonnet where the cabin air intake is. Pollen filters do not get wet for any other reason.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Good shout @Gregs24 certainly is a specific patch, so that would make perfect sense. Will check it out. There was some fiddling with the scuttle pan a couple of months ago when i was chasing that rattle, so entirely plausible

Sponsored

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
Could it be that the drivers side saw some sun but passenger side was always in shade leading to a difference. Misting inside is more likely if the screen is not really clean inside.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Could it be that the drivers side saw some sun but passenger side was always in shade leading to a difference. Misting inside is more likely if the screen is not really clean inside.
I don't think so. I actually had the sun shade on the windscreen before I took the photo, I took it down when I got back to the car and saw what looked like condensation. Must have been there shortly after I put the sun shade on.

I looked closely last night after I'd parked up at home - 20, 30 mins after and zero condensation. I note that I had the auto ac setting on at 23.

Still going to have a good check of the pollen filter as suggested above, should have time this weekend.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I often find (in any car) that if I've been using the air con (even weeks before) the moment it rains or I put the heater on the windows all fog up.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm sure someone has tipped you off but over on the Mustang unleashed Facebook site someone has posted a photo of their cars window and it makes yours look good, take a look if you can.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure someone has tipped you off but over on the Mustang unleashed Facebook site someone has posted a photo of their cars window and it makes yours look good, take a look if you can.
He's not on FB unfortunatley, so for Kris' sake:

oTzXCTbmsKd6gmI5EojAWDYOZnzAA-3WeLARCKR5TjL2pGwwkImCfP31m8rLUnVBfng483MQT&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg
Sponsored