Sponsored

Should I be worried - interior windscreen condensation (again!)?

fguan992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Looking at the location of the leak, I don't see how it would cause rust on the side of the dash?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Looking at the location of the leak, I don't see how it would cause rust on the side of the dash?
Funny you should mention...exactly the same thought I had yesterday. I'm beginning to think that the issue I had last year was different to this one related to the grommet. The place that had it last year did refer to a repair to a seam behind the A pillar - very vague, but I think that was the original, bigger issue. Then in the background, a small amount of water was getting in through the grommet too!

I've mentioned this to the dealership for their thoughts...

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
@Kristian87
Thanks for posting the pictures, very informative and wil help any other unfortunate soul who may have a faulty grommet/seal.
:thumbsup:

The surface corrosion is on the cross-car-beam. Typically, this area of the interior we regard as a "dry area" and thus, usually such components won't require being made from a corrosion resistant material, or having a coating applied.
Therefore, even in the presence of excessive moisture, in this case, the water logged NVH panel, behind the dash-panel/bulk-head. Some superficial surface colouring may occur.

I can only imagine what it must feel like, to have your car dissassembled to such an extent, but it will go back together, very well.
Hopefully never to need such work again.
:like:

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
@Kristian87
Thanks for posting the pictures, very informative and wil help any other unfortunate soul who may have a faulty grommet/seal.
:thumbsup:

The surface corrosion is on the cross-car-beam. Typically, this area of the interior we regard as a "dry area" and thus, usually such components won't require being made from a corrosion resistant material, or having a coating applied.
Therefore, even in the presence of excessive moisture, in this case, the water logged NVH panel, behind the dash-panel/bulk-head. Some superficial surface colouring may occur.

I can only imagine what it must feel like, to have your car dissassembled to such an extent, but it will go back together, very well.
Hopefully never to need such work again.
:like:
Thank you mate, that's very reassuring to hear. I'm sure however they decide to address it will give me further peace of mind.

Re the disassembly, it's overwhelming to say the least. As a perfectionist, I probably should have run a mile after such an event - I've only ever had one other brand new car other than these Mustangs, and to spend £38k then see it taken apart twice really makes me feel uneasy. On the other hand, I vowed to get to know this mustang inside out, well enough so I knew exactly how it's all put together - well, I can tick that off the list! For the interior anyway. For me, these cars are meant to be tinkered with, customized, taken apart etc, so it was sort of nice in a way to experience it first hand.

I'm in this for the long run - good times and bad. Frustratingly my GT experience hasn't been great, but with the end of this warranty issue in sight, and the new exhaust going on, I have a feeling 2019 will be awesome :sunglasses:

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Thank you mate, that's very reassuring to hear. I'm sure however they decide to address it will give me further peace of mind.
I know what you mean and it would be preferrable for Ford to replace the XCB (Cross-Car-Beam), definitely request a replacement.

It will require the I/P be stripped down and migrated to the new XCB, but peace of mind is paramount imo, especially as this is the second attempt to fix, albeit, this time by a Ford garage who knows how we feel about our cars and how we want them repaired.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I know what you mean and it would be preferrable for Ford to replace the XCB (Cross-Car-Beam), definitely request a replacement.
Certainly keeping tabs on this particular concern, I'll make sure I get pics of whatever they do. I opted not to demand a replacement when discussing it yesterday, the immediate thought being that if they take 4 weeks to get a cable, how long will this part take?!. Anyway, they have to put it back together now - they were pretty adamant about not leaving it in pieces for longer than they had to.

I wonder if this is something I can demand as a follow up task further down the line. Would definitely feel better knowing that a new part is in there. Perfectly acceptable to expect that as a warranty covered task i'd say. I'm expecting a call from Ford HQ later today so I'm sure this will come up.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Wiring loom installation is well on the way now - the body one. Soon to be followed by the dash loom, and addressing the corrosion on the cross beam.

getting artistic now with the progress shots lol
20190312_170850_resized.jpg

No arguments about them doing a thorough job. Exhaust is off too :inspect:
20190312_172107_resized.jpg
20190312_172118_resized.jpg

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Lego mustang - expert level

T21 KGR mustang kit - Level, professional as fuck.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
May as well keep this updated with all the photos...starting to become a "how to build an S550 - step by step"...

The technician is flying through it I must say :clap:

20190313_130354_resized.jpg
20190313_170544_resized.jpg
20190313_170606_resized.jpg
20190313_170615_resized.jpg
20190313_170620_resized.jpg
20190313_170523_resized.jpg

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Very interesting. I take it that's the clutch assist spring to the left of the clutch. Wonder how many bits will be left over when they're finished :wink:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Very interesting. I take it that's the clutch assist spring to the left of the clutch. Wonder how many bits will be left over when they're finished :wink:
Free weight reduction!

I do lose sleep over the thought of a less than perfect reassembly tbh. Ford will get an earful on the subject when they call tomorrow with their thoughts on a goodwill gesture.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Corrosion cleaned up;

T21KGR 20190314_144045_resized.jpg

Having seen a couple of examples of this now, it does appear to be common - young Manders had a look at his. Admittedly his was cleaner than mine is - but the main bar across the back shows a similar situation in terms of corrosion.

Not sure how far along they are with the reassembly but I'm sure I'll be updated today! Eagerly awaiting Ford's answer on my gift of goodwill also (assuming they don't come up with a fresh excuse to delay til next week).

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Complaint update:

Ford HQ called with an offer of goodwill; £600 towards Ford parts (I said I was after a power pack). Also said that I'd need to scrap the £150 I got last year from Ford as that would be void. So really it's an offer of £450.

Good start, and a nice gesture but I didn't accept - said I would think about it over the weekend. It's a bizarre process complaining through Ford. At the mention of any financial compensation, it's "nothing to do with us, that's a separate business - Ford credit". But then when engaging Ford credit, they seem to have control over Ford, the dealerships and what they can offer as a package. Anyway, that's an adventure I'll have to start again now - armed with a much stronger case this year. Having opted not to reject their offer last year, and follow with the Motor Ombudsman, I shall definitely be playing that card this year if the situation calls for it - there's a principle at steak here and about time Ford paid up!

Keep ya posted...

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
I know I keep bleating about it - but isnt it time now ... to get a solicitor on board? the dealer is doing it all right, it seems - which is fantastic - - but you are now about to take on Ford and Ford credit - the slightest whiff of litigation will bring the £££ numbers up I am sure!

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I know I keep bleating about it - but isnt it time now ... to get a solicitor on board? the dealer is doing it all right, it seems - which is fantastic - - but you are now about to take on Ford and Ford credit - the slightest whiff of litigation will bring the £££ numbers up I am sure!
Not just yet. Appreciate the thought, but seeing as I haven't approached ford finance at all yet (this year), I'd rather make my case & then judge their response and go from there. That's very easy for me to do, adding a solicitor to the mix just adds more resource from me I think, but there may come a time when that makes more sense. I certainly think Ford finance are capable of a decent offer, if pushed.
Sponsored