NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
1965 GT350, 2017 GT350R, 2022 Toyota Sienna
Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting my search for my dream toy car and I'm trying to separate fact from fiction. Here are my ?'s, any guidance is greatly appreciated

1. How prevalent were / are massive engine failures of either the Gen I or Gen II Voodoo? I have spoken with a few performance shops and one said only purchase a 2019 or 2020 and do NOT boost it. Another shop told me that the only year to really avoid was / is 2016. They almost made it like it's the luck of the draw. But they did recognize benefits to going with a 2020, Gen II motor, better breaks and steering rack. You see these horror stories all over the boards and I can find lots of used GT350R's with low mileage. Thoughts? So many are low mileage, I don't know if the breaking process went well and they will have an oil consumption problem....but if I go with a 2017 I can get a better price point as you all know, a 2020 is 20-30K more in the market.

2. Ok on to boost, I have spoken with Fathouse, RareFab, Brenspeed, Steeda, PBD. I feel very comfortable with Fathouse because they seem to be so invested in GT350R R&D. But, I also liked Brenspeed a bunch. I have not called Hellhorse in TX. I love the TT from Fathouse, power delivery and less wear on the internals but it's expensive,. Now my worry is if I go with a SC I'll be just shredding tires in 1st through 3rd VS something more manageable like a TT set up. Also, as it's driven off the cranks it is harder on the engine.

What does everyone think. An what shops do people feel really good about? TT VS SC?

Thanks for any insight, I'm mostly worried about the engine failing on me and wanted to ask some experts as this is going to be my first mustang and I can go for a new GT500 if I wanted. But, I love the GT350R, its so analogue and with some cash invested I can make it my own and I can set it up to smoke a stock GT500.

Again, thanks everyone

Steve
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Hey Steve. There are countless threads on the questions your asking. Specifically to engine replacements. If your going to boost the car, my regular 350 is, but your wanting the warm fuzzy feeling of a warranty, skip the 350 and buy the 500.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Agreed. If boost is the plan, skip to the 500.

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
So your 350 is boosted? any issues?

Thanks so much,

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
Hey Steve. There are countless threads on the questions your asking. Specifically to engine replacements. If your going to boost the car, my regular 350 is, but your wanting the warm fuzzy feeling of a warranty, skip the 350 and buy the 500.
Agreed. If boost is the plan, skip to the 500.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
...the only year to really avoid was / is 2016
1648072911230.gif

It might be true, but I can't help but feel somewhat offended (not really) by this statement 🤣

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
I'm only joking. I bought an extended warranty and I'm not worried about my 2016
So it sounds like you have put some miles on it, and that you broke it in properly and are not having any issues? No oil consumption?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
As others have stated, if you want boost then go for the GT500.

If you are set on a GT350R then I would buy any low mileage car I could get my hands on for a reasonable price.

There were some iterative improvements to the car over the years, but nothing you would probably notice in street driving (aside from reduced tramlining on the newer cars). The 2019+ cars also had the option of a shiny carbon fiber dash and an upgraded sound system that is a bit better than previous years but generally still trash.

If you are planning to track it casually then you probably won't notice much difference between the years either.

If you are planning to track it heavily and want to eek out the most performance possible, then you will have to make modifications anyway.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
So you boosted you car, no problems? I can live without a warrentee, but want to gage my chances of a major failure.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting my search for my dream toy car and I'm trying to separate fact from fiction. Here are my ?'s, any guidance is greatly appreciated

1. How prevalent were / are massive engine failures of either the Gen I or Gen II Voodoo? I have spoken with a few performance shops and one said only purchase a 2019 or 2020 and do NOT boost it. Another shop told me that the only year to really avoid was / is 2016. They almost made it like it's the luck of the draw. But they did recognize benefits to going with a 2020, Gen II motor, better breaks and steering rack. You see these horror stories all over the boards and I can find lots of used GT350R's with low mileage. Thoughts? So many are low mileage, I don't know if the breaking process went well and they will have an oil consumption problem....but if I go with a 2017 I can get a better price point as you all know, a 2020 is 20-30K more in the market.

2. Ok on to boost, I have spoken with Fathouse, RareFab, Brenspeed, Steeda, PBD. I feel very comfortable with Fathouse because they seem to be so invested in GT350R R&D. But, I also liked Brenspeed a bunch. I have not called Hellhorse in TX. I love the TT from Fathouse, power delivery and less wear on the internals but it's expensive,. Now my worry is if I go with a SC I'll be just shredding tires in 1st through 3rd VS something more manageable like a TT set up. Also, as it's driven off the cranks it is harder on the engine.

What does everyone think. An what shops do people feel really good about? TT VS SC?

Thanks for any insight, I'm mostly worried about the engine failing on me and wanted to ask some experts as this is going to be my first mustang and I can go for a new GT500 if I wanted. But, I love the GT350R, its so analogue and with some cash invested I can make it my own and I can set it up to smoke a stock GT500.

Again, thanks everyone

Steve
Gen 2 motors started in 19 and any GT350 with a replacement motor afterwards. No change in brakes except programing, again, 19/20. No insight on FI

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
I also say if you are going forced induction- then I would go GT500

Just my opinion- but the GT350R is more about "feeling" then all out speed

If you just want to go as fast as possible- buy a GT500 and pulley swap/ supercharger swap exc.

I think part of what makes the 350 so analog is no forced induction- 6 speed manual- lighter weight (well vs. the 500 anyways lol) - no fancy gauges inside- its just more raw

Heck if you just want to go faster than a stock 500- you might even look at slapping a blower on a GT with the A10 with a ton of suspension mods and a good tire- I would think that would hold up much longer than a forced induction voodoo -

If you are dead set on a boosted 350- I would look at this one
1,600-Mile 2018 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R Hennessey HPE850 for sale on BaT Auctions - ending March 26 (Lot #68,945) | Bring a Trailer

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
I'm only joking. I bought an extended warranty and I'm not worried about my 2016
if the engine updates were done for 19+ why is 16 the only R year to avoid?
Sponsored