Sponsored

Shipping

Gramkeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Has anyone shipped a brand new car. I'm guessing one would complete the purchase from the dealer and then the responsibility for shipping is on the customer including all risks.

So if you've shipped a new car how was it done, by you or the dealer? Was it in a closed truck or open? And does anyone have a buyer beware, sad story associated with shipping. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
I shipped a new car from OH to MN after making the purchase. The deal was struck with the dealer knowing they were responsible getting the car to the transporter when they arrived. It all went smooth and the price was only $600 at the time but that was 3 1/2 years ago now. I'm sure prices are higher due to fuel costs if nothing else.

If you shop for price, you may have to wait for a driver with a load going your direction. I waited 8 days before mine was picked up. In hind sight, I wish I had just drove it the 750 miles instead. Its a little unnerving to leave a new car at the dealer in the hopes that they do what they promised.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
In June I had my GT350 shipped from Texas to Idaho in a closed trailer. I used Plycar. I didn't have a great experience - expensive, payment up front, really bad communication, they picked up and delivered over a week late, but ultimately the car was delivered in great shape. It was a stressful experience. I can't recommend Plycar

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
It will vary from dealer to dealer. When I bought my new Mustang last year from Charlotte, they took care of the shipping. It was $900 and I had it the next day after it was shipped.

By risk do you mean damage to the car? If so, the shipping company should have some type of insurance you can ask to see, and your own insurance may cover your car.

OP
OP

Gramkeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
It will vary from dealer to dealer. When I bought my new Mustang last year from Charlotte, they took care of the shipping. It was $900 and I had it the next day after it was shipped.

By risk do you mean damage to the car? If so, the shipping company should have some type of insurance you can ask to see, and your own insurance may cover your car.
Thanks. I'm worried if the car is damaged in anyway for a new car especially in shipment. Also I don't know how inspection in the car lot would work prior to sign off if I'm say 1000 miles away. Do I go there inspect the car and have it shipped?
How did you the forum folks handle it? Thanks to everyone.

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Thanks. I'm worried if the car is damaged in anyway for a new car especially in shipment. Also I don't know how inspection in the car lot would work prior to sign off if I'm say 1000 miles away. Do I go there inspect the car and have it shipped?
How did you the forum folks handle it? Thanks to everyone.
I believe this is the standard practice: The transport driver should do an inspection with the shipper prior to loading the car. They would document any issues found at that time. You'll get the inspection sheet from the driver when they deliver, and you have to sign off with them before they leave the car with you. Any undocumented damage at the time of delivery means you have to open a dispute with the transport company. It's a good idea to use one that is insured.

You're rolling the dice a bit with transport, but these guys and gals move autos all the time and it'll probably be fine. Go with an enclosed transport if you're really worried about damage from exposure to the elements during transport. You'll pay a lot more for that peace of mind.

Tetazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering Soon
I ordered from dealersinsider (Chapman Ford). I live in Florida. I will be flying up and driving it back. It’s a lot of miles but it’s an extra car for me so I’m not too worried about putting the miles on it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I was also thinking Chapman Ford in Horsham, PA. Not a bad drive from anywhere in NJ. We also have a large numbers of great members in NJ. I’m sure one would help you out if needed.

OP
OP

Gramkeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
Thanks. I'm also potentially planning on Chapman's. (I'm in Central NJ.) I thought shipping would be the only way to go with Grainger's. Plus I'm planning on a manual transmission so driving from Iowa would be out of the question. As the joke at home is I need to improve my stick shift driving so I can drive as poorly with a stick shift as I do with Automatic.

Tetazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering Soon
I was also thinking Chapman Ford in Horsham, PA. Not a bad drive from anywhere in NJ. We also have a large numbers of great members in NJ. I’m sure one would help you out if needed.
They have been very quick with communicating and very helpful. I highly recommend them!
Sponsored