Shifting Impovements (6MT) for a Street Driven Ecoboost

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
That's more or less what I've been hearing. Have you replaced your shifter?
Nope. That's why I mentioned that others who have done it would chime in about the necessary labor.
Sponsored

Justgonna send it

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6spd
Yeah, I was bummed to find that they don't make the full shifter for Ecoboost. I'm really curious how the Shifter + 2 post bracket is though. I'm sure at least (1) person on this forum has it haha
im gonna start with bushing and throw parts at it till something takes

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
22' Mustang EB HPP+HP ; 96
Nope. That's why I mentioned that others who have done it would chime in about the necessary labor.
Copy that. Hopefully more people chime in.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

WolfMxbee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Ecoboost, 2005 Ford F-150, 1995
I have a Ford Performance Short Shifter with the steeda shifter bracket and Feels Super notchy, about an inch lower which is perfect height for the armrest and its amazing in how much shorter the throw is, I really recommend it and also I haven't done it yet but I'd recommend the whiteline trans bushing, besides that I don't experience any higher (nvh? I think that's what it's called- trans noise) then stock. I would recommend to switch to 3.55 for the ecoboost which will keep you in boost quicker as it'll wanna accelerate quicker through the revs which is my goal as I canyon carve my ecoboost!

Sponsored

WolfMxbee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Ecoboost, 2005 Ford F-150, 1995
When I did mine it was pretty easy with regular wrenches... just a pain to get the stock shifter lockout off as your fighting the boot but then at that point recommend a aftermarket lockout and shift knob, mine uses bolts now instead of the plastic tabs but all depends on your tool selection you have, I do work at a shop that has a pit I can work under too so different then on Jack's so can be unnecessary added labor

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
When I did mine it was pretty easy with regular wrenches... just a pain to get the stock shifter lockout off as your fighting the boot but then at that point recommend a aftermarket lockout and shift knob, mine uses bolts now instead of the plastic tabs but all depends on your tool selection you have, I do work at a shop that has a pit I can work under too so different then on Jack's so can be unnecessary added labor
I'm glad that setup is working for you! Do you ever get locked out of gears with the Ford Performance shifter or has the Steeda bracket fixed that?

Yeah, I don't have a lot of room to lift my car on jack stands these days. I'll likely have to get it installed at a shop.

My car actually has 3.55 gears stock. It's part of the handling pack and it's pretty awesome. As long as I shift after 4000rpm, I stay in boost. Kills gas mileage but it's worth it!

Justgonna send it

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6spd
I have a Ford Performance Short Shifter with the steeda shifter bracket and Feels Super notchy, about an inch lower which is perfect height for the armrest and its amazing in how much shorter the throw is, I really recommend it and also I haven't done it yet but I'd recommend the whiteline trans bushing, besides that I don't experience any higher (nvh? I think that's what it's called- trans noise) then stock. I would recommend to switch to 3.55 for the ecoboost which will keep you in boost quicker as it'll wanna accelerate quicker through the revs which is my goal as I canyon carve my ecoboost!
so the notchness got worse with new bushing ?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
....3.55 for the ecoboost which will keep you in boost quicker as it'll wanna accelerate quicker through the revs which is my goal as I canyon carve my ecoboost!
EBs are low RPM torque monsters. RPMs are totally un-necessary. In fact, they don't seem to like them.

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I appreciate it!

The shifter is a good suggestion! I've been eyeing a 350 gram shifter for a while now, so that could work out. Which shifter do you have?

And has the Motul improved the low temp operation for your shifter at all?
I have the Raceseng Slammer shift knob and love it. It was a pretty dramatic upgrade from the OEM shift knob imo. The Slammer is 1.4lbs but Raceseng has a ton of other options.

You can find them here:
https://raceseng.com/collections/mustang-gt-v6-ecoboost

CDCABCA0-FEAA-4EA2-ADCA-8CCAB5355147.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. That's a beauty! 1.4lbs seems super heavy for a shift knob. Are you on the stock shifter?
Thanks! And yes sir, on the stock shifter. Feels much less notchy with the weight and the shift changes are with more "authority" if that makes sense.

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! And yes sir, on the stock shifter. Feels much less notchy with the weight and the shift changes are with more "authority" if that makes sense.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Do you ever feel like your forcing the shift or that the lever is being strained?

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Do you ever feel like your forcing the shift or that the lever is being strained?
I haven't had an instance where I felt like I was forcing the shift with the Raceseng knob. In a weird way, I felt that with the OEM knob. Probably due to the notchiness. The weighted knob makes the shifts quite a bit smoother to me.

I haven't felt like the lever is being strained but I get where you're coming from. I was concerned with the weight having an effect on the syncro's, kind of like how they tell you to not rest your hand on the shift knob while driving to keep the pressure off. I did a lot of research on weighted knobs and didn't find many instances where this was an issue. I decided that the benefits out weighed the risk for me so I pulled the trigger. I've been very happy with the results so far.

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
I haven't had an instance where I felt like I was forcing the shift with the Raceseng knob. In a weird way, I felt that with the OEM knob. Probably due to the notchiness. The weighted knob makes the shifts quite a bit smoother to me.

I haven't felt like the lever is being strained but I get where you're coming from. I was concerned with the weight having an effect on the syncro's, kind of like how they tell you to not rest your hand on the shift knob while driving to keep the pressure off. I did a lot of research on weighted knobs and didn't find many instances where this was an issue. I decided that the benefits out weighed the risk for me so I pulled the trigger. I've been very happy with the results so far.
This has been helpful. Thanks a lot. You're really selling me on it haha
Sponsored