Shifting from 3rd to 4th at high RPM - hitting 2nd instead

Gallatyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
About four times now I’ll try to shift from 3rd to 4th around 7K RPM but end up grinding 2nd instead (according to my gauge cluster) where I immediately put the stick in neutral to stop the grinding. This has never happened to me in any other manual car. I have no problems hitting 3rd to 4th in regular city driving at more modest RPMs. Am I just getting imprecise with my shifting due to adrenaline or something like that? Or, is something else not lining up correctly in the transmission in that 7K RPM scenario? I think I remember reading something about an issue with shift forks and/or some kind of actual twisting issue at higher RPMs with the MT82/MT82-D4. Would that be it? Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
Sponsored

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Yeah it's that shifter lockout thing that people talk about. I've experienced this a couple of times - high RPM shifting, engine and transmission are torqued, but the shifter is mounted to the body of the car, so the geometry changes, and you can miss the shift.

Short-throw shifters that can be transmission mounted are often hoisted as the solution.

OP
OP
Gallatyn

Gallatyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks Duece and Blue. I'll have to look into a transmission mounted shifter option and see if that's what I want to do. Thanks again.

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
About four times now I’ll try to shift from 3rd to 4th around 7K RPM but end up grinding 2nd instead (according to my gauge cluster) where I immediately put the stick in neutral to stop the grinding. This has never happened to me in any other manual car. I have no problems hitting 3rd to 4th in regular city driving at more modest RPMs. Am I just getting imprecise with my shifting due to adrenaline or something like that? Or, is something else not lining up correctly in the transmission in that 7K RPM scenario? I think I remember reading something about an issue with shift forks and/or some kind of actual twisting issue at higher RPMs with the MT82/MT82-D4. Would that be it? Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
I've never heard of an issue going from 3rd to 4th. I know a few people have a lockout issue from 2nd to 3rd and I myself had some issues going from 4th to 5th at high RPM. Either way though, as has already been said - most likely due to the body mount shifter problem and the stock shifter is pretty sloppy anyway.

You could try a transmission mount to shifter brace (like the full tilt boogie one) or an aftermarket shifter (more work involved there though - but totally worth it). As someone who recently started using an MGW shifter, I highly recommend it. No slop, very precise, no missed shifts or hesitation.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Here's another option to explore. These 2 mounts from Boomba cleaned up the "slop" in my car.

Side by side pics of the shifter and trans mount with original and replacement parts. This is a cheaper solution then getting a new shifter assembly.

Boomba Mount.jpg
Boomba Mount2.jpg

I'd bet your problem is your shifter mount looks like mine did (2nd pic)

OP
OP
Gallatyn

Gallatyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try the Boomba mounts. Then, go from there and maybe install a new shifter later. I'll have to see what I think about the Boomba mounts first.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I've maybe missed a gear 2 times since my mgw shifter was installed. Before that at least 50% of the time I would get locked out or miss a gear. This is all with the stock 19 clutch btw

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try the Boomba mounts. Then, go from there and maybe install a new shifter later. I'll have to see what I think about the Boomba mounts first.
Not mentioned in my prior post, I also replaced the fluid with the BG Syncro Shift II fluid. These 3 things made my transmission much happier. Good luck.

OP
OP
Gallatyn

Gallatyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Not mentioned in my prior post, I also replaced the fluid with the BG Syncro Shift II fluid. These 3 things made my transmission much happier. Good luck.
I actually have the BG Syncro kit (just haven't used it yet). Having a hard time finding the shifter bracket. I see the Boomba one for the Ecoboost but that's it. I see the transmission mount, though.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I actually have the BG Syncro kit (just haven't used it yet). Having a hard time finding the shifter bracket. I see the Boomba one for the Ecoboost but that's it. I see the transmission mount, though.
I'm not seeing it either, I wonder if it's been discontinued. I have a 16 and it's been in my car for quite some time. You can call them. I did a quick google search and found this

https://www.maperformance.com/produ...27Xk4T0zXgARD2cgfPCAp_8Mk-1nvq6BoCruYQAvD_BwE

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That’s the easiest thing to try first. The shifter is more involved thsn the Boomba pieces.

OP
OP
Gallatyn

Gallatyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Ive never missed 4th, 3rd yes, and even 6th once or twice early on.

Without sounding like a jerk (not meaning to be) are you sure its not driver mod error? Granted i have a 16 so its a slightly different setup (gearing wise) but you shouldnt have to gorilla it into gear no matter how fast youre shifting. Your seat positioning can play a roll. If for example youre too far back, i can see where you could be pulling towards you and not straight back.

Just a thought

OP
OP
Gallatyn

Gallatyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Ive never missed 4th, 3rd yes, and even 6th once or twice early on.

Without sounding like a jerk (not meaning to be) are you sure its not driver mod error? Granted i have a 16 so its a slightly different setup (gearing wise) but you shouldnt have to gorilla it into gear no matter how fast youre shifting. Your seat positioning can play a roll. If for example youre too far back, i can see where you could be pulling towards you and not straight back.

Just a thought
You don't sound like a jerk at all. It's definitely possible that it's driver error. That's why I mentioned that in my description. I don't think I'm gorilla-ing it into gear if by gorilla means to be forceful. I'm just trying to go from 3rd to 4th at 7K RPM a bit quicker than normal. It's possible that I'm pulling to the left when I do that but I really don't think that's what I'm doing. I'm pretty sure I'm pulling straight back. My seating position is good. In fact, I actually looked at several videos and images on good driver position. I'm confident it's not driver position. My position was bad for the first couple of months after I bought the car this past April (seat too far back and angled too far back). Actually, I should try the shift again while keeping in mind to go straight back and see if it's the the something in the transmission moving or if it's just me thinking I'm pulling straight back but really pulling some to the left. I'll get back on that in just a little while.
Sponsored