Sponsored

Shifting from 3rd to 4th at high RPM - hitting 2nd instead

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
3rd to 4th is the easiest shift.. just go straight down. Maybe your seat isnt adjusted properly, thats important for manual. MT82 syncros do suck though
Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
My nemesis with this car is 4 - 5 shifts, even at modest RPMs. I have to remember to push waaaaay over to the right, almost like I am reaching for my passenger's knee.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My service manual says the MT82 is rated at 480 Nm (which converts to 354 lb-ft). That’s underrated for the power our cars make. Wringing them out increases the chances of a issues/failure of some sort. It’s a risk many of us take and some fair better than others.

OP
OP
Gallatyn

Gallatyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
You don't sound like a jerk at all. It's definitely possible that it's driver error. That's why I mentioned that in my description. I don't think I'm gorilla-ing it into gear if by gorilla means to be forceful. I'm just trying to go from 3rd to 4th at 7K RPM a bit quicker than normal. It's possible that I'm pulling to the left when I do that but I really don't think that's what I'm doing. I'm pretty sure I'm pulling straight back. My seating position is good. In fact, I actually looked at several videos and images on good driver position. I'm confident it's not driver position. My position was bad for the first couple of months after I bought the car this past April (seat too far back and angled too far back). Actually, I should try the shift again while keeping in mind to go straight back and see if it's the the something in the transmission moving or if it's just me thinking I'm pulling straight back but really pulling some to the left. I'll get back on that in just a little while.
Ok. I think it's me. I tried a few more 7k 3rd to 4th shifts. Honestly, I was so anxious about hitting and grinding 2nd again that I know I didn't let the RPM get quite to 7k and I shifted a bit more slowly and I know I went straight back. So, I did successfully hit 4th but my anxiety did prevent me from replicating the pull that I did when I hit 2nd. But... I did do some fast pulls from 3rd to 4th while having my clutch in and at a red light. Most of the time I hit 4th as expected. HOWEVER, I tried to visualize going fast and performing a shift quickly as if I was actually in that moment. I did hit 2nd a couple of times when I was thinking about going into 4th. So, I think that the slight raise of adrenaline (or whatever) resulted in me pulling in the direction of my wrist (which I noticed was angled toward 2nd) instead of actually pulling the stick straight back. I need to research a bit and see if it's bad form to have my wrist angled that way as opposed to having it in line with my forearm and the shift gate. I also need to see if I should be concentrating on pulling back with my forearm and shoulder as opposed to trying to move the stick too much by bending my wrist.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
My service manual says the MT82 is rated at 480 Nm (which converts to 354 lb-ft). That’s underrated for the power our cars make. Wringing them out increases the chances of a issues/failure of some sort. It’s a risk many of us take and some fair better than others.
The OEM Getrag rating isn’t based on torque only it’s also GVWR. This transmission is primarily used in truck application and the rating you posted (I’m going off the cuff here) should be about 480Nm @ 10,000 GVWR.
So the weight of our S550’s needs to be factored in.

Somewhere buried deep in the M6G archives is one of my posts where someone stated at the S550 weight the MT82 is 900Nm. I can’t remember exactly but the post is still accessible in the search feature.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
My nemesis with this car is 4 - 5 shifts, even at modest RPMs. I have to remember to push waaaaay over to the right, almost like I am reaching for my passenger's knee.
If you’re not using a transmission mounted shifter the issue could be the transmission mount alignment. The Ford cast aluminum trans mount has oversized body mount holes and there’s a very good chance the transmission isn’t centered correctly from L side to R side.

Last edited:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Thanks Duece and Blue. I'll have to look into a transmission mounted shifter option and see if that's what I want to do. Thanks again.
MGW - and while your'e at it, you might as well upgrade your clutch and change out the trans fluid.

OP
OP
Gallatyn

Gallatyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
MGW - and while your'e at it, you might as well upgrade your clutch and change out the trans fluid.
I am actually thinking about an MGW. Also, what are some recommended clutches?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Mantic, Lethal LPX or LPXHD, McLeod and Ram are some of the available choices for clutches. I was going to go with a Mantic at first, but then heard of some some setup issues with them. There are a few on here, who couldn’t get them to work right.

I chose to try a Ram Pro Street Twin a disc. I hope I made the right choice.

Sponsored

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
If you’re not using a transmission mounted shifter the issue here in the transmission mount alignment. The Ford cast aluminum trans mount has oversized holes and there’s a very good chance the transmission isn’t centered correctly from L side to R side.
Which one are you using Greg?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Just throwing this out hitting second like that, driver is pulling the shifter to the left. Clean that up, want to go straight back, and into 4th.

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
MGW is your answer..
Sponsored