Sponsored

Shifter Vibration in Second Gear

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track (gone), 2019 GT350 (gone)
On Sunday I was out for a drive and the shifter began vibrating audibly above 3k rpms. The noise is now consistent whenever I rev up and the gear selector is in second gear, whether there is load on the the engine or not.

I took off the shift knob and It is vibrating through the plastic collar. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Something is likely loose, and while I love a trip to the dealer as much as the next person (for that wonderful burnt coffee), I would avoid it if its an easy known fix.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I feel the vibration but don't hear it really. Those are voodoo vibrations. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svtgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Transmission noise?
there is an excessive wine (vibration) in second that I dont hear in other gears
if I press the shifter to the right the noise dissapears
I can only hear it with the radio off and in normal mode
just being picky maybe
might be only related to the shifter?

Last edited:

svtgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
no bulletin yet!
contacted FP and they suggested to wait till the spring and put some miles on the car
did have it assesed by a SVT tech and he agreed that it was not correct
its been documented and i plan to revist the issue this spring when i do the first oil change
it is more of a vibration maybe coming form the shifter

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42246&highlight=transmission+noise

dkbluedevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's common. Several threads on here about it. Nothing to worry about that we know of yet.

Sponsored

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
mine vibrates in all gears. I love it. ;-)

OP
OP
mephim

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should clarify, this is a high amplitude resonance, not just the noise of the engine. I know that its just an irritation, its just a very loud one.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Something in my car resonates at 3000 rpm and above only in exhaust sport mode. I'm going to refer it to the dealer when I get my first oil change.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
those vibrations are called voo-brations :p

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
On Sunday I was out for a drive and the shifter began vibrating audibly above 3k rpms. The noise is now consistent whenever I rev up and the gear selector is in second gear, whether there is load on the the engine or not.

I took off the shift knob and It is vibrating through the plastic collar. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Something is likely loose, and while I love a trip to the dealer as much as the next person (for that wonderful burnt coffee), I would avoid it if its an easy known fix.

Thanks in advance.
Since it sounds like this vibration is fairly new, or developed after having had driven the car for a while, I would indeed check to see if a few things haven't come loose.

From underneath the car, check to see that all of the crossmember bolts are properly torqued, including the mount to crossmember studs/nuts. After that, check the bolts that hold the damper assembly together at the rear of the transmission and in the area of the crossmember. That is, everything you see to the right of the TR3160 in the following picture.

If everything looks good there, try investigating the shifter assembly via the boot/console inside the car. See the black open cell foam, that was woven into the spring above the reverse lockout collar? Look to see if it even exists.

This is the collar, disassembled. If the o-rings are damaged or no longer in their grooved positions, the collar could rattle. Verify that there are no pieces of any rubber laying atop the boot and that the collar is still "isolated" or damped.

Good luck.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mephim

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since it sounds like this vibration is fairly new, or developed after having had driven the car for a while, I would indeed check to see if a few things haven't come loose.

Checked, these were all torqued the same

From underneath the car, check to see that all of the crossmember bolts are properly torqued, including the mount to crossmember studs/nuts. After that, check the bolts that hold the damper assembly together at the rear of the transmission and in the area of the crossmember. That is, everything you see to the right of the TR3160 in the following picture.

One of the crossmember bolts was hand tight, tightened up.

If everything looks good there, try investigating the shifter assembly via the boot/console inside the car. See the black open cell foam, that was woven into the spring above the reverse lockout collar? Look to see if it even exists.

The foam was present and woven into the spring as shown

This is the collar, disassembled. If the o-rings are damaged or no longer in their grooved positions, the collar could rattle. Verify that there are no pieces of any rubber laying atop the boot and that the collar is still "isolated" or damped.

BINGO, the top O ring has disintigrated.

Good luck.
This was hugely helpful. I ended up bring the shift assembly to Ford and they are ordering a new one, given how new the car is. This was still very helpful and showed me where to look. After all, I appreciated the full saturday of prying at the car.

For those who haven't taken a shifter out of a modern car, this part of the process was fraught with opportunities to break small plastic clips in the interior... everywhere.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Good to see you were able to pinpoint the issue. Even better that the dealer is taking care of you!

vdorta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord
Unless it's a bolt wrongly torqued or such, that is the only con of having a flat-plane crankshaft. Just think of a reasonably priced Ferrari, or a typically Carroll Shelby's, common sense American solution to high RPM and great engine sound!

dkbluedevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This was hugely helpful. I ended up bring the shift assembly to Ford and they are ordering a new one, given how new the car is. This was still very helpful and showed me where to look. After all, I appreciated the full saturday of prying at the car.

For those who haven't taken a shifter out of a modern car, this part of the process was fraught with opportunities to break small plastic clips in the interior... everywhere.
Is this whole procedure for checking the shifter collar and the O-rings doable for a novice inside the car without taking anything apart that cannot be put back together easily? I've had this vibration in the upper reaches of 1st gear and mid-to-high RPM 2nd gear since the instant I got my car. 100% reducible by pushing the shifter firmly to the right when in 2nd. I want to try this on my own rather than taking it to the dealer but don't want to get in over my head.

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
Just sayin.... These things vibrate, shake ,buzz it's the nature of the beast. If any of you have experience with 8500 rpm four cylinders you already know the buzz.
Sponsored