Shift knob jam nut issues

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
After finally getting my custom shift knob from anarchy motive I had some issues when installing it. The jam nut is threading down with the knob, it isn’t stopping it it just goes down with the knob when I tighten the knob. I think it has something to do with the adapter inside the knob that has two little grooves on it perhaps the grooves are hooking into the nut and making it move . Any ideas?
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I used a small amount of blue loctite on the jam nut with the Steeda knob that I installed in my Bullitt. It’s holding tight with no movement at all. The way I did it was I threaded the jam nut onto the shifter and then installed the knob until it touched the jam nut. I kept doing this and checking to make sure it went into reverse properly until the shift pattern on the knob was pointing to about the 11 o’clock position. Next, I carefully removed the knob, marked the position of the jam nut, removed it, put a small amount of loctite on it and reinstalled it. Finally, I threaded the knob back on and tightened it by hand until the gear pattern was centered.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I second that. Two drops of blue Loctite, and Bob's your uncle.
Careful: blue Loctite. Not red!

OP
OP
AnthonyA1234

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I used a small amount of blue loctite on the jam nut with the Steeda knob that I installed in my Bullitt. It’s holding tight with no movement at all. The way I did it was I threaded the jam nut onto the shifter and then installed the knob until it touched the jam nut. I kept doing this and checking to make sure it went into reverse properly until the shift pattern on the knob was pointing to about the 11 o’clock position. Next, I carefully removed the knob, marked the position of the jam nut, removed it, put a small amount of loctite on it and reinstalled it. Finally, I threaded the knob back on and tightened it by hand until the gear pattern was centered.
Sounds good thanks for the help

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
No problem. You’ll see that when you install the loctite on the jam nut, it sets up pretty quickly and the nut will be held firmly in place. It will no longer spin down onto the shift lever like you were experiencing before.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AnthonyA1234

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
No problem. You’ll see that when you install the loctite on the jam nut, it sets up pretty quickly and the nut will be held firmly in place. It will no longer spin down onto the shift lever like you were experiencing before.
Bought some on Amazon should be here tomorrow. How did you mark were the jam nut was some sharpie on the shifter?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just make sure you have the positioning of the jam nut right and the reverse camera activated before you loctite it.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
My GT350 rep shift knob is holding just fine with no issues and no loctite needed. I'm just using a regular old jam nut I picked up at Ace Hardware. Are you sure you have a jam nut? They're thinner than a regular nut. Any old nut will technically work, but the smaller size of the jam nut helps it "grip" better.

OP
OP
AnthonyA1234

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
My GT350 rep shift knob is holding just fine with no issues and no loctite needed. I'm just using a regular old jam nut I picked up at Ace Hardware. Are you sure you have a jam nut? They're thinner than a regular nut. Any old nut will technically work, but the smaller size of the jam nut helps it "grip" better.
Hey yea I didn’t even have to end up using the loctite. What ended up happening was I realized the jam nut was a little sticky which I guess was strong enough for it to twist with the knob instead of locking. It was sticky because it came inside a folded piece of tape. So I wiped down the jam nut with some goo off and then the shift knob went in perfect, no loctite needed.

Sponsored

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Hey yea I didn’t even have to end up using the loctite. What ended up happening was I realized the jam nut was a little sticky which I guess was strong enough for it to twist with the knob instead of locking. It was sticky because it came inside a folded piece of tape. So I wiped down the jam nut with some goo off and then the shift knob went in perfect, no loctite needed.
Lol that'll do it! Glad you got it figured out.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
You can skip the jam nut and use a small piece of rubber cord material. Should be able to get a small bit at a hardware store. You only need an inch. Put it inside the threaded portion of the knob and screw it on. Shorten the cord as needed.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You can skip the jam nut and use a small piece of rubber cord material. Should be able to get a small bit at a hardware store. You only need an inch. Put it inside the threaded portion of the knob and screw it on. Shorten the cord as needed.
My Steeda Tri-Ax shifter came with rubber cord and I trimmed it down a little at a time, just as you mentioned and the end result was the threads disintegrated within a day and the knob came off in my hand. I ended up having to buy a Steeda knob and went to Ace Hardware and bought a jamb nut and used a dab of blue loctite to secure it.
Sponsored