ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Audi Q7 Premium
Its a torque wrench. Try harbor freight for a cheapo version. I wouldn't trust the dealership. They don't use torque wrenches on oil filters. This is the only car that is very specific that the filter must be torqued correctly, but the techs don't bother.
no what I’m saying is the entire assembly changed and it’s installed differently. This happened midway through the 2017 model year and I now have the new style. So what you’re describing no longer applies to me.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
no what I’m saying is the entire assembly changed and it’s installed differently. This happened midway through the 2017 model year and I now have the new style. So what you’re describing no longer applies to me.
Yes it does, canister or spin on are both torque critical.

No matter which type, they have to be torqued correctly

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
what I said is the cause was never conclusively determined.

I actually only thought I over-rev’d but was informed that it was technically impossible under the circumstances. I didn’t shift into a lower gear, I just clanked a shift and the software doesn’t let it over-rev when you do that.

there was no “money shift” if we are all using that term to mean hitting 1/2/3 when aiming for 3/4/5.

we’re not coming up with oil pump failure out of thin air, it was what the evidence pointed to as most likely but it wasn’t proven.
Like you mentioned - it's well known that dealers aren't allowed to pull the motor apart. My point was, due to this, it's impossible for you or anyone to say that it was or was not the oil pump that caused the failure. The evidence you speak of is knowing the oil pump is broken. It certainly was at very least, collateral damage. It's like saying someone died from a heart attack but they also had low blood pressure due to internal bleeding of another organ. You simply don't know where the damage started in that engine. I can tell you from experience, many many OHC cars have camshafts gall the journals (due to no actual bearing) which starts a chain reaction of oil starvation. Lots of theories, no actual evidence.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Yes it does, canister or spin on are both torque critical.

No matter which type, they have to be torqued correctly
okay well I think I’ve just proven I’m better off letting the tech I know personally do it than trying to handle it myself.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Like you mentioned - it's well known that dealers aren't allowed to pull the motor apart. My point was, due to this, it's impossible for you or anyone to say that it was or was not the oil pump that caused the failure. The evidence you speak of is knowing the oil pump is broken. It certainly was at very least, collateral damage. It's like saying someone died from a heart attack but they also had low blood pressure due to internal bleeding of another organ. You simply don't know where the damage started in that engine. I can tell you from experience, many many OHC cars have camshafts gall the journals (due to no actual bearing) which starts a chain reaction of oil starvation. Lots of theories, no actual evidence.
I fail to understand the point you’re trying to make. I said we don’t know. Is there something we disagree on here?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I fail to understand the point you’re trying to make. I said we don’t know. Is there something we disagree on here?
Someone asked if it was an oil pump failure - you replied with "Most likely". If you've changed your stance to "I don't know" - I missed it.

The point I'm making is - You don't know.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Someone asked if it was an oil pump failure - you replied with "Most likely". If you've changed your stance to "I don't know" - I missed it.

The point I'm making is - You don't know.
EBF6A0F1-3018-44F5-AD67-C3D34C00CE17.jpeg

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Ok so we are playing this game I guess. You went on to say (and this is what I copied when I replied).
1653496736567.png

Enjoy the new engine. I have a thing for having facts before conclusions - but must just be a me thing.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Ok so we are playing this game I guess. You went on to say (and this is what I copied when I replied).
1653496736567.png

Enjoy the new engine. I have a thing for having facts before conclusions - but must just be a me thing.
I just don’t know what you’re trying to accomplish other than being argumentative. I said I didn’t know, but it was most likely the oil pump. I’m sorry dude but I just don’t know what you’re trying to prove.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I just don’t know what you’re trying to accomplish other than being argumentative. I said I didn’t know, but it was most likely the oil pump. I’m sorry dude but I just don’t know what you’re trying to prove.
The hard thing here is that something somewhere in the engine broke. Even if you tore the engine down it's hard to know what it was. For instance, a small piece of spring steel broke off the end a valve spring in @honeybadger 's factory engine and scored the inside of the oil pump housing. A millimeter away from the housing wall it would have jammed the lobes and the pump would have failed in spectacular fashion. Had his engine failed (it didn't), he could have reasonably believed that the oil pump was the culprit. But because it didn't fail, he found more bits of spring steel in the pan and at that point, he knew that the valve train had a problem.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The hard thing here is that something somewhere in the engine broke. Even if you tore the engine down it's hard to know what it was. For instance, a small piece of spring steel broke off the end a valve spring in @honeybadger 's factory engine and scored the inside of the oil pump housing. A millimeter away from the housing wall it would have jammed the lobes and the pump would have failed in spectacular fashion. Had his engine failed (it didn't), he could have reasonably believed that the oil pump was the culprit. But because it didn't fail, he found more bits of spring steel in the pan and at that point, he knew that the valve train had a problem.
I can assure you I have no idea what happened to my engine. My guess however is the oil pump failed because I lost oil pressure before I lost power. Is that conclusive? Definitely not, is it the best evidence I have, unfortunately it is.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
You get it. Sometimes people understand things exactly the amount they want to and after that, it doesn't really matter. I'm not like that. I don't have a problem letting people believe what they want - but on a public forum, this kind of thing is how rumors are started. The conversations should be a little more academic than "that's all I got, so that's what I choose to believe.", IMO.

Good luck with the new motor, OP. At least you're out there tracking it.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
You get it. Sometimes people understand things exactly the amount they want to and after that, it doesn't really matter. I'm not like that. I don't have a problem letting people believe what they want - but on a public forum, this kind of thing is how rumors are started. The conversations should be a little more academic than "that's all I got, so that's what I choose to believe.", IMO.

Good luck with the new motor, OP. At least you're out there tracking it.
I bask in the glow of your glorious approval.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
You need to learn what an olive branch is and have some tact. Since you value my opinion - I think you might be the type of person that shouldn’t own one of these cars. From the title of the thread shhhhh, to posting how you Missed a shift, then immediately diagnosing it as “very mild”, then trying to delete your original message because why?..you knew you were trying to get something for a mistake you made. Then go on to wild-ass-guess at the failure
Component of your car, backtracking to make it look like you were talking about something else..

Maybe I should thank you because this is the type of shitshow ownership that could contribute to Ford never making another track car with a warranty. Thanks for the value boost.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
You need to learn what an olive branch is and have some tact. Since you value my opinion - I think you might be the type of person that shouldn’t own one of these cars. From the title of the thread shhhhh, to posting how you Missed a shift, then immediately diagnosing it as “very mild”, then trying to delete your original message because why?..you knew you were trying to get something for a mistake you made. Then go on to wild-ass-guess at the failure
Component of your car, backtracking to make it look like you were talking about something else..

Maybe I should thank you because this is the type of shitshow ownership that could contribute to Ford never making another track car with a warranty. Thanks for the value boost.
oh man you rescinded my glow. Serious bummer.
Sponsored