ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Audi Q7 Premium
Two additional questions -

You said the engine won't turn over (I presume you mean when you hit the starter button). Does that mean there is nothing going on with the starter or is the starter bendix engaging and then it just hits a wall and won't turn the engine? Or, is the starter dead - i.e., no electrical power to it at all?

As for the overheating condition - how's the coolant level?
correct, when I hit the starter the starter does its dance but the engine doesn’t oblige it. The electrical power is fine as far as I can tell.

coolant is full
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Do yourself a favor at this point. Don’t try and start it. Don’t take this wrong, but let a tech that knows what there doing diagnosis it. Hopefully you’ll be fortunate and there won’t be any major issue’s. No need to create one.

correct, when I hit the starter the starter does its dance but the engine doesn’t oblige it. The electrical power is fine as far as I can tell.

coolant is full

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Do yourself a favor at this point. Don’t try and start it. Don’t take this wrong, but let a tech that knows what there doing diagnosis it. Hopefully you’ll be fortunate and there won’t be any major issue’s. No need to create one.
ha, yeah I wasn’t about to go try to start it at this point.

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500

coolant is full
Sounds like it’s seized, but I hope you have a positive surprise from your dealership tech.

There is such a thing as goodwill extensions of your warranty. If you have a good relationship with your dealer (bought it there, first owner, serviced it there, know the service advisor’s name, bring them a case of beer) they may cover you for a catastrophic failure within six months of the expiration of a 5 year warranty. Or split the cost with you. But don’t expect it.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like it’s seized, but I hope you have a positive surprise from your dealership tech.

There is such a thing as goodwill extensions of your warranty. If you have a good relationship with your dealer (bought it there, first owner, serviced it there, know the service advisor’s name, bring them a case of beer) they may cover you for a catastrophic failure within six months of the expiration of a 5 year warranty. Or split the cost with you. But don’t expect it.
Literally none of those things are true about my situation lol.

Sponsored

Jeffwels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage, 2016 BMW X5M

coolant is full
When you say starter does its dance, do you mean clicks or you can hear it actively trying to turn the engine over? It should be a very different sound if the motor is seized vs just not wanting to crank over due to lack of fuel, or spark etc. If the engine is seized you should just hear a loud clunk as the starter tries to push the flywheel that won't move.

Regardless good luck.

Whopperman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Viper GT, 2019 GT350R
I had something similar, but way less severe happen in my other car where I was at the gas station and the car shut off for no reason. The oil pressure said 0 and that I had no oil, I did a visual inspection and everything looked fine, started it up and had a check engine light. They're still trying to diagnose it, but they changed the battery and it fixed a decent amount of small problems with the car and cleared the check engine light for a couple days. If you have an old battery I'd say start there, then move on to sensors like others have said, oil change (if you do it yourself) and check to see what it looks like and to see if there are any flakes in there. I'm sure other people are better versed in these problems, but figured I'd throw my hat in the ring and see if I could help or you could help me when everything gets resolved :)

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
How is the car going to the dealership for inspection? Flatbed? Trailered? Just curious. Anyway for you I'm hoping it's electrical, a sensor(s) issue, control module, relay, fusible link or something similar which hopefully avoided major mechanical. Good luck. Let us know!

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
All,

I wanted to report what finally happened here.

After about 3 months of back and forth with the dealer and FoMoCo corporate offices and a lot of frustration I got them to split the bill with me. So now I have a brand new gen 2 Voodoo with a 3 year powertrain warranty which is super exciting. Of course splitting the bill meant I still had to come out of pocket over $20k, but that's a helluva lot better than over $40k. Most of that was the engine and labor but I also needed a new AC unit.

The reason I feel good about this outcome is multifaceted. First, I bought this car eyes wide open, I knew the gen 1 voodoo was not a reliable motor and I could have issues with it after a lot of track use. So when I did, I didn't feel like a victim, just a little unlucky. So my expectations were appropriate I would say. Second, I checked with the lemon law arbitrators and they told me I wasn't eligible for any help from them. After that I checked with a law firm and they told me I had no case whatsoever. So when Ford sent me a $20,000 check I knew it was 100% goodwill which I really appreciated even more at that point.

If anyone else needs to go through a process like this, the key is persistence. I was told no, I don't know and I can't help by so many people at Ford but I just kept calling and following up and basically just never went away. I didn't do anything special other than be patient and persistent. I never needed to yell at anyone or become impolite but I did need to repeat my case over and over.

I'm still putting through the break in miles on the new engine, but I look forward to getting back on track soon.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
What was the final diagnosis?

Sponsored
OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
What was the final diagnosis?
Actually never got one. Oil looked like it had a tub of glitter poured into it and oil pump failed but in terms of a specific report or firm conclusion it’s a movie without an ending.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So you never money shifted/miss shifted and this was an oil pump failure?
He said that he over-rev'd it originally.

Most likely.
So you're both coming up with "oil pump failure" out of thin air. The oil pump may have failed but none of us can say if that was the case or effect of the engine failure.

And like I mentioned, he already said he over-rev'd it - and then deleted the post - which I would have done, too if there was a $20k check hanging in the balance. Unfortunately, others quoted the message.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
He said that he over-rev'd it originally.

So you're both coming up with "oil pump failure" out of thin air. The oil pump may have failed but none of us can say if that was the case or effect of the engine failure.

And like I mentioned, he already said he over-rev'd it - and then deleted the post - which I would have done, too if there was a $20k check hanging in the balance. Unfortunately, others quoted the message.
what I said is the cause was never conclusively determined.

I actually only thought I over-rev’d but was informed that it was technically impossible under the circumstances. I didn’t shift into a lower gear, I just clanked a shift and the software doesn’t let it over-rev when you do that.

there was no “money shift” if we are all using that term to mean hitting 1/2/3 when aiming for 3/4/5.

we’re not coming up with oil pump failure out of thin air, it was what the evidence pointed to as most likely but it wasn’t proven.
Sponsored