Sponsored

Shelby GT350R offers first mass-produced carbon fiber wheels

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The article on SVT is interesting. Especially this bit.
http://www.*******************/2015/07/10/news-2015-shelby-gt350r-wheels/

SVT said:
“A common misconception of carbon fiber is that while it’s strong, it’s also a brittle material. Some formulations may have this characteristic, but carbon fiber’s durability is a feature of the type of resin and design intent of the part. The wheels of Shelby GT350R are designed to be stiff, light and resilient,” says Ford. “One of the most severe tests for wheels in the Ford development process involves striking a curb at speed—a test that, without proper design, can cause serious wheel and tire damage. Because of the light weight, advanced construction methods and resins in the wheels, along with the highly developed MagneRide dampers, the suspension was able to react so fast that the driver wasn’t sure the test had been carried out correctly and ran it twice to be sure. The suspension response was fast enough to greatly diminished the severity of the impact—that’s the power of minimizing unsprung weight.”
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'd have to assume that Ford has done their homework as far as offering these on a production car.

I've seen pics of a few nasty CF wheel failures on motorcycles in the past, which makes me a little nervous. But I won't be buying an R anytime soon, so no worries....

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Some more pics from a user on SVTP 99cobrajn
DSCF7999_zpsxzccfylx.jpg
DSCF8000_zpsupxr6kvg.jpg
DSCF8001_zpswqctoy62.jpg
DSCF8002_zpsztrt3q6x.jpg
DSCF8003_zpsgesqh2j9.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
Would rather show the carbon weave than black paint. Oh well, not something I need to worry about.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Tire Rack lists the 19x10 Boss wheel at 33 lbs. They don't list any other 19" wheels wider than 9" for the '15 Mustang.

If you want a track wheel, the 18x10 BBS/Boss wheel (used in IMSA) is a great buy now and only 24.5 lbs...Assuming it works with the GT350 brakes. I can't remember if they changed the front brakes for the Conti cars or not.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The black paint is there for multiple reasons and not just looks... but I hear ya.
Yep, UV rays and bare CF don't play well together over time, for one....

Sponsored

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Their rules probably limit wheel, tire and rotor sizes like ours do.
In American Iron, we have a max 18" D and max 9.5" W for wheels and max rotor diameter of 14".

jeebuspwnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
m3
Looks like you could fix a curbed wheel with a little fiberglass and spray paint. ;P

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
That could be, the trouble is that CF could develop a stress fracture that you'll never see. At least not until the next time you go down. My point is just that when CF does fail, it does dramatically, catastrophically, whereas metals tend to "soft" fail. At the end of the day, there are so many ways that CF can be laid up and structured that it would impossible for the average person to identify cheap carbon from well-done carbon. We can assume that Ford really has done their homework here - but these things still raise concerns until truly proven.

The seatpost comment is more of a joke - you can imagine that it would be an uncomfortable ride in the unlikely event that broke... ;)
Thanks. Now I'm gonna pucker every time I hit a bump riding my bike, :lol:. Seriously, the article did mention the type of resin used makes a difference in durability, so that may be the key. Who knows what Ford used?

As for the ceramic coating I can vouch for its durability. Ceramic is fantastic stuff to use on headers and turbo components. I have a header on my old Honda that I got ceramic coated and it looks as good as the day I put it on 4 years ago.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Well, that was my whole point - until these are proven, known quantity in production and on the track, people will still have doubts. I'm not advocating that Ford didn't do their homework here - in fact, I think its plain that I'm suggesting they did, thoroughly - but with tech that's brand new, sometimes the ultimate testing takes place in the field...

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Tire Rack lists the 19x10 Boss wheel at 33 lbs. They don't list any other 19" wheels wider than 9" for the '15 Mustang.

If you want a track wheel, the 18x10 BBS/Boss wheel (used in IMSA) is a great buy now and only 24.5 lbs...Assuming it works with the GT350 brakes. I can't remember if they changed the front brakes for the Conti cars or not.
Agreed, BBS does make a good wheel. There is also another premium flow formed option that is designed to clear the GT PP 380mm 6POT (GT350 TBD)...our FF15 in 18x10 et40 and 18x10.5 et55. 21 lbs and 21.4 lbs.

Designed and engineered right here in the USA and manufactured by one of the best in Japan. A winning combination. :D

On a side note and note sure if anyone caught it in the raw carbon images above. Looks like we know at least the offset of the front GT350R wheel! :thumbsup: Have that covered in our 19" FF15.
Sponsored