rxsamg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
'97 Cobra Conv,'22 GT500 N1107 Atlas Blue
Well, they admitted it was fiberglass šŸ˜†

their response is that both left and right mufflers appear to have failed.

my suggestion to them back was that, perhaps rather than it being both the left and right mufflers, that itā€™s the mid pipe section muffler. Would be more plausible to me vs BOTH left and right mufflers being bad.

Weā€™ll see what they say. They want me to remove these and put the new ones on and then send the other ones back.

I really donā€™t feel like going through this if itā€™s then actually the mid pipe, and having to find time in the shop and spend a THIRD time redoing it.
Jeff,
That sucks! But better to know now that somethingā€™s wrong than keep dealing with it ā€œsheddingā€ over many miles/months! Check out the Explorer threads on their experience. Theirs WAS THE RESONATOR so I would think that translates same the GT500 setup? Personally Iā€™d call them back, ask for a supervisor or any higher up & share with them the explorer groupā€™s experience. Makes no sense to do it twice.
Sponsored

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Jeff,
That sucks! But better to know now that somethingā€™s wrong than keep dealing with it ā€œsheddingā€ over many miles/months! Check out the Explorer threads on their experience. Theirs WAS THE RESONATOR so I would think that translates same the GT500 setup? Personally Iā€™d call them back, ask for a supervisor or any higher up & share with them the explorer groupā€™s experience. Makes no sense to do it twice.
I did read a bit of that and itā€™s interesting. I hope theyā€™ll listen to common sense that it doesnā€™t make sense to just send me new L and R mufflers

Last edited:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Well, they admitted it was fiberglass šŸ˜†

their response is that both left and right mufflers appear to have failed.

my suggestion to them back was that, perhaps rather than it being both the left and right mufflers, that itā€™s the mid pipe section muffler. Would be more plausible to me vs BOTH left and right mufflers being bad.

Weā€™ll see what they say. They want me to remove these and put the new ones on and then send the other ones back.

I really donā€™t feel like going through this if itā€™s then actually the mid pipe, and having to find time in the shop and spend a THIRD time redoing it.
Iā€™d think if it was the mid pipe you notice fiberglass forward of the mufflers. You just canā€™t catch a break with these!

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Iā€™d think if it was the mid pipe you notice fiberglass forward of the mufflers. You just canā€™t catch a break with these!
yep, still a minor PITA, but was thinking if I disconnected one of the mufflers and there are fibers north of thereā€¦itā€™s the mid pipe resonator. My only concern is if the exhaust gas force blows them right out of the pipe and there wouldnā€™t really be much evidence

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I though BORLA was first class??

I bet some of their suppliers have been slipping them crappy packing glass in these days of RIDICULOUS BUSINESS PRACTICES and supply problems....most likely short strand glass instead of long strand or quite possibly much smaller denier??

Sorry y'all are having these problems.....GOOD LUCK getting them resolved!!:like:

Sponsored

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Ok, wanted to give an update to everyone now that something has happened.

Spoke with Borla several times and worked through a potential resolution.

They ended up exchanging the whole system under warranty rather than guess if it was just the mid resonator orboth mufflers shooting glass.

For what itā€™s worth, the glass output has slowed a bit but now itā€™s longer strands, like 1-2ā€ rather than tiny specs. Still doesnā€™t seem right, so Iā€™m glad they sent a new system.

In addition, I had them send me a Switchfire pipe. I LOVE the tone of the Shelby mid resonator but itā€™s just a tad quiet for me. Donā€™t get me wrong, it isnā€™t a Prius or anything, but it is quieter than the OEM system. Almost seems like THIS Shelby setup should have been OEM and then Borla could have done a louder intermediate step like the OEM system is, to fit between OEM and the Atak.

This time around Iā€™m going to install the Switchfire mid pipe, so itā€™ll literally be a Shelby stamped Atak.

I have a feeling itā€™ll be loud for me and all the rasp will be back, of course. But why not have fun and also learn and study the three different sound options between OEM, Shelby, and Atak? Iā€™ll pass on what I learn, of course.

If it is too loud, then Iā€™m back to either going to the Shelby mid resonator and hoping this one doesnā€™t blow glass, and then seeing if I want that long term or if I end up just going back to OEM for the more violent volume at the expense of the rasp I donā€™t care for.

More to come.
IMG_8111.jpeg
IMG_8112.jpeg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Very nice.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, wanted to give an update to everyone now that something has happened.

Spoke with Borla several times and worked through a potential resolution.

They ended up exchanging the whole system under warranty rather than guess if it was just the mid resonator orboth mufflers shooting glass.

For what itā€™s worth, the glass output has slowed a bit but now itā€™s longer strands, like 1-2ā€ rather than tiny specs. Still doesnā€™t seem right, so Iā€™m glad they sent a new system.

In addition, I had them send me a Switchfire pipe. I LOVE the tone of the Shelby mid resonator but itā€™s just a tad quiet for me. Donā€™t get me wrong, it isnā€™t a Prius or anything, but it is quieter than the OEM system. Almost seems like THIS Shelby setup should have been OEM and then Borla could have done a louder intermediate step like the OEM system is, to fit between OEM and the Atak.

This time around Iā€™m going to install the Switchfire mid pipe, so itā€™ll literally be a Shelby stamped Atak.

I have a feeling itā€™ll be loud for me and all the rasp will be back, of course. But why not have fun and also learn and study the three different sound options between OEM, Shelby, and Atak? Iā€™ll pass on what I learn, of course.

If it is too loud, then Iā€™m back to either going to the Shelby mid resonator and hoping this one doesnā€™t blow glass, and then seeing if I want that long term or if I end up just going back to OEM for the more violent volume at the expense of the rasp I donā€™t care for.

More to come.
IMG_8111.jpeg
IMG_8112.jpeg
Did you get chance to give the removed system a good inspection to establish the source of the glass ? It might give others something to check before wasting time on fitment / removal / replacement :like:

(I appreciate that you might not want to comment, especially as Borla have looked after you)

WD :like:

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Well, installed the Switchfire and the new pipes and mufflers. Actually very surprised that I really like the sound. Not quite as deep as the Shelby mid pipe but volume is on point. Very close to OEM volume but better tone than that. Not annoying when you donā€™t want it louder. And no drone on the highway in 7th like the OEM did.

Sponsored

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Did you get chance to give the removed system a good inspection to establish the source of the glass ? It might give others something to check before wasting time on fitment / removal / replacement :like:

(I appreciate that you might not want to comment, especially as Borla have looked after you)

WD :like:
itā€™s definitely from the mid Pipe. No really clear failure but given the fibers are all in the pipes between the mid and the mufflersā€¦

hopefully you can see in the pics the accumulation of glass
IMG_1737.jpeg
IMG_1735.jpeg

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
itā€™s definitely from the mid Pipe. No really clear failure but given the fibers are all in the pipes between the mid and the mufflersā€¦
Thatā€™s weird. I looked inside mine and I just assumed it was perforated steel with no filler.

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Thatā€™s weird. I looked inside mine and I just assumed it was perforated steel with no filler.
yeah it muffles things quite a bit, so there is definitely filler in there. Also if you knock on the casing you can sort of tell it sounds dead from the fiberglass filler.

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Iā€™ll be recording lots more as soon as I can, and will compile something so everyone can hear stock vs Shelby vs ā€œAtakelbyā€ like I have now.

In the meantime, here is a new video I took of warm idle with the system in Track. I think it sounds glorious. About 75% as deep as the Shelby mid pipe but ~20% louderā€¦very close to OEM but maybe a touch more. This is why Iā€™m going to keep collecting dB data rather than guessing.

also including a link to a great clean video of stock idle for easy comparison, which was recorded by another helpful member in our GT500 community.

ā€œAtakelbyā€:

Stock:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Iā€™ll be recording lots more as soon as I can, and will compile something so everyone can hear stock vs Shelby vs ā€œAtakelbyā€ like I have now.

In the meantime, here is a new video I took of warm idle with the system in Track. I think it sounds glorious. About 75% as deep as the Shelby mid pipe but ~20% louderā€¦very close to OEM but maybe a touch more. This is why Iā€™m going to keep collecting dB data rather than guessing.

also including a link to a great clean video of stock idle for easy comparison, which was recorded by another helpful member in our GT500 community.

ā€œAtakelbyā€:

Stock:
Ooo I like that idle! This is with the crossover pipe?
Sponsored