You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the system tonight. Notable difference from OEM, for sure. Completely eliminated all rasp on a warm start and driving in various modes.

Haven’t gotten on a 70 mph cruise highway ride yet to compare to the drone that happens on the OEM Track mode, but I have a feeling that’s gone, too.

Also haven’t gotten to cold start it yet.

As alluded to on here and the other thread, this system is definitely no louder than OEM. It might be quieter, or else it’s just the lower Hz that makes it less shrill.

Also I’m sure it’s still breaking in a bit. I have sparkles all over my rear valence and bumper from tiny fiberglass bits working themselves out, and the pipes have that new exhaust burn-off smell.

More data and sound/videos to come.

pics here were purposefully non redundant to @Jmeo since he did such a good job photographing most everything. Tried to show what I think is a good depth of tip for install (first try it was pushed in too shallow and couldn’t see the Shelby on the tips), and a few other views.

IMG_7970.jpeg
IMG_7974.jpeg
IMG_7976.jpeg
IMG_7985.jpeg
I agree with everything you said. To me it got rid of any annoyance that I didn’t like about the stock exhaust (rasp, loud pop on low rpm manual mode upshift, tinny start up noise, etc.) all while making it sound like a big block (deeper) and retaining the glorious burbling on deceleration and not neutering the volume. Drove it last weekend for an hour ride of different speeds and roads and I am in love with it.

I think anyone wanting to be louder than stock should look elsewhere.
Sponsored

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
I agree with everything you said. To me it got rid of any annoyance that I didn’t like about the stock exhaust (rasp, loud pop on low rpm manual mode upshift, tinny start up noise, etc.) all while making it sound like a big block (deeper) and retaining the glorious burbling on deceleration and not neutering the volume. Drove it last weekend for an hour ride of different speeds and roads and I am in love with it.

I think anyone wanting to be louder than stock should look elsewhere.

Thanks. Glad I’m not crazy or misguided in what I’m hearing. Beginning to gather the Borla sound file data now.

I’ll be honest, I’m annoyed that it sort of killed the manual mode 3k hard pop upshift. I tried all morning to get that snap 1-2 sound and it’s more of a thud now. It’s almost not lively enough for my tastes now, but like you said still some really good burbling in off-throttle in Track.

The one thing that I’m still trying to sort of figure out in my mind is, it makes sense to me that they would include this in the Hertz cars because a it is a better sound and is more tame overall and wouldn’t get people renting it into too much trouble. However, they also put it on the KR’s which you think for those cars they would want it as wild as possible?

I feel like since I heard the factory exhaust for all of 300 miles until I changed to this Borla, that maybe I’d like ~15% more volume. But I believe if this system gets the Crossfire mid pipe in place of the suitcase H, it brings back the rasp of the stock sound, while adding that volume. I believe it literally becomes an Atak. I wish someone at Borla could explain, but they seem to act like this Shelby system is some black box secret that no one knows about.

@Jmeo would you also agree that the Borla has less difference between sport and track than stock?

Really beautiful deep sound overall with this tho.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
@Jmeo would you also agree that the Borla has less difference between sport and track than stock?
The only difference between sport and track is while in sport the flaps partially close depending on throttle to limit wide open and track is wide open. Because the mid muffler tones things down that difference is diminished. It’s still there, just not AS obvious.

I do think this is the same for all exhausts, when comparing to stock.

Shelby worked with Borla and had them build to their exact DB request so that’s all that’s different between these mufflers (besides branding) than normal Borla mufflers.

If someone wants louder than stock they should look elsewhere.

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Just went for the first long back country drive and very pleased overall. Probably how the car should have come from the factory.

can also confirm no drone in track at a 70 mph cruise,windows up, like would happen with the stock system.

It’s funny to me that it’s not completely repeatable to get this car to bang/pop upshift. Repeating the same parameters, sometimes it’ll do a nice pop and other times no joy. And one time tonight, not doing anything really different, I got a great “bang” on the 2-3 upshifting. Couldn’t repeat it again the whole drive though.

@Jmeo sorry I don’t think I already asked, but just curious if you noticed the little shards of fiberglass stopping soon after you installed? Just cleaned the car this afternoon and it’s all sparkly out back again 😂. The new pipe smell is all broken in and gone.

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Here is my car after an hour drive…I had it spotless and cleaned all the first batch of fiberglass off just before 😭😂

I assume this is “normal” and will stop at some point.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would rinse that off as soon as possible.

I have no idea how quickly that could stick to the paint, but it’s hell of an area to clay if it does become bonded …

Note that if it’s contaminated with exhaust condensation, it will also be quite corrosive (but again, I don’t know if that’s a real problem to the paint and plastics back there) :like:

WD :like:

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
I would rinse that off as soon as possible.

I have no idea how quickly that could stick to the paint, but it’s hell of an area to clay if it does become bonded …

Note that if it’s contaminated with exhaust condensation, it will also be quite corrosive (but again, I don’t know if that’s a real problem to the paint and plastics back there) :like:

WD :like:
Thanks. The car is PPF’d and ceramic coated so no real risk for harm. I’m just hoping it stops soon because even blowing most of it off first with compressed air (outside), I still don’t want to keep my microfiber rags that I’m wiping any last bit of it off with.

strange thing is that I’ve done exhaust work (including Borla) to many past vehicles and have never seen any bit if this occur.

Curious us @Jmeo might have experienced this, and if it’s normal?

rxsamg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
'97 Cobra Conv,'22 GT500 N1107 Atlas Blue
Thanks. The car is PPF’d and ceramic coated so no real risk for harm. I’m just hoping it stops soon because even blowing most of it off first with compressed air (outside), I still don’t want to keep my microfiber rags that I’m wiping any last bit of it off with.

strange thing is that I’ve done exhaust work (including Borla) to many past vehicles and have never seen any bit if this occur.

Curious us @Jmeo might have experienced this, and if it’s normal?
Jeff, I would contact Borla asap. See below that someone else experienced on an Explorer ST

here is a link to a thread of someone else:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/borla-s-type-glass-fibers.782/

081B7902-B2D8-4F58-9750-0200CCC0E73C.png

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE

Sponsored

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Jeff, I would contact Borla asap. See below that someone else experienced on an Explorer ST

here is a link to a thread of someone else:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/borla-s-type-glass-fibers.782/

081B7902-B2D8-4F58-9750-0200CCC0E73C.png
First guy I got said it’s not fiberglass and it’s ceramic (he said they don’t use glass), and that it’s normal for about 500 miles. What caught me is he said “yeah just clean the mufflers if you need to” and I said “well, it’s the ENTIRE back of the car, not just the mufflers and tips” and he hesitated a bit and said yeah that’s normal just breaking in.

I think I’ll call back again later and get another opinion for piece of mind.

really the key would be if Jmeo had any of it or not.

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Have you contacted Borla and asked them?
yeah the post above yours was a call to Borla.

I just called back and this time talked to the OEM department (aftermarket told me to talk to OEM instead). The lady in OEM acted like I should be calling AFTERMARKET 🤣

She didn’t quite get it over the phone and kept talking about how my tips are polished and it black ceramic. Lol

Call ended with me asking for her email so I can send the pictures and video over.

Both reps said they don’t use fiberglass. Well, I’m not major expert in Borla or exhaust crafting, but this shire as hell looks like fiberglass to me

IMG_8025.jpeg
IMG_8031.jpeg
IMG_8027.jpeg

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
yeah the post above yours was a call to Borla.

I just called back and this time talked to the OEM department (aftermarket told me to talk to OEM instead). The lady in OEM acted like I should be calling AFTERMARKET 🤣

She didn’t quite get it over the phone and kept talking about how my tips are polished and it black ceramic. Lol

Call ended with me asking for her email so I can send the pictures and video over.

Both reps said they don’t use fiberglass. Well, I’m not major expert in Borla or exhaust crafting, but this shire as hell looks like fiberglass to me

IMG_8025.jpeg
IMG_8031.jpeg
IMG_8027.jpeg
Ah ok, whatever reason it loaded the last post to saw so didn’t see you had called them. I’d say they are clueless if they say they don’t use FG as that’s clearly FG wrap dust. I’d specifically ask about the Shelby stamped mufflers, maybe they’re made differently than the ATAK ones.

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Well, they admitted it was fiberglass 😆

their response is that both left and right mufflers appear to have failed.

my suggestion to them back was that, perhaps rather than it being both the left and right mufflers, that it’s the mid pipe section muffler. Would be more plausible to me vs BOTH left and right mufflers being bad.

We’ll see what they say. They want me to remove these and put the new ones on and then send the other ones back.

I really don’t feel like going through this if it’s then actually the mid pipe, and having to find time in the shop and spend a THIRD time redoing it.
Sponsored