Sponsored

Sequential Tail Light problems 6th gen. USA

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What you are seeking is in Post # 25 of this thread:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tail-light-out-then-back-on.101551/page-2

2 more items of mention for you:

1) If the vehicle is still under the 3/36 bumper to bumper OR an extended Ford ESP plan, any taillight malfunction is covered by warranty. The same applies for Ford TSB or SSM’s, they revert to warranty provisions and work/replacement is free of charge. If the vehicle is out of warranty, an existing TSB or SSM is performed at Dealer discretion and depending on Dealership, you can be charged for parts/labor. If you feel you should not be charged, contact the Ford 800# and refer them to the TSB or SSM to prove it was an existing issue and sometimes they will work with you.

2) If the vehicle is out of warranty or the part won’t be repaired under warranty provisions - the 2015-2017 rear taillights can be had for $500 for a pair on this site in the classifieds section OR expect to pay about $200-$300 per light depending on who’s selling. Also you can look these up on eBay - there’s a TON of them for sale ranging anywhere from $150 each upwards of the Ford retail of $800-$900+.

The 2018+ rear tails are a direct fit on any 2015-2017. Prices on these have been roughly the same as the 2015-17’s depending on seller and condition.

The only tails that fetch more $$$ are the 2015 LE 50th Anniversary tails w/ the chrome trim. They are roughly $150+ more on average if sold separately or in pairs.

Don’t pay retail for any S550 rear taillight....

The tails are LED operated by internal circuit board inside of the light assembly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ezracer

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
parts dept ordered the wrong side
will be Friday before I can get the right one installed
Hey there, does your tail light work properly now ?? Please say "YES"!!!!!

OP
OP
ezracer

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will let you know later today,they can't get it in till this afternoon
Please keep us posted!!

A lot of dealers are HORRIBLE ( like yours ). I had made a appointment 2 wks. in advance at a FORD dealer one time. I went at 5 PM to pick the car up. Guess what. They NEVER looked at it and it never moved from the parking lot.

I got fairly pissed. Then THEY got mad at ME for getting mad at them. WTF!!! :facepalm:

duckydave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt premium black w/50 yr appearance pkg
Please keep us posted!!

A lot of dealers are HORRIBLE ( like yours ). I had made a appointment 2 wks. in advance at a FORD dealer one time. I went at 5 PM to pick the car up. Guess what. They NEVER looked at it and it never moved from the parking lot.

I got fairly pissed. Then THEY got mad at ME for getting mad at them. WTF!!! :facepalm:

All fixed only took about half an hour
My dealer is real good I have NEVER had a problem with them,they have top notch well informed and properly trained techs that get to the problem right away and take care of it.
I have been doing business with them for over 25 yrs because of that
People bring their vehicles from many miles away to them even though there are other dealers closer to them

Sponsored

OP
OP
ezracer

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All fixed only took about half an hour
My dealer is real good I have NEVER had a problem with them,they have top notch well informed and properly trained techs that get to the problem right away and take care of it.
I have been doing business with them for over 25 yrs because of that
People bring their vehicles from many miles away to them even though there are other dealers closer to them

Fantastic. I'm glad it worked out for you and I'm jealous that you have a good dealer. :)

Hopefully I can get mine fixed. We'll see.

OP
OP
ezracer

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys, I need some help. I've done a search on USA sequential tail light problems to no avail.
I find issues with the European cars and after market units like Raxiom but what about
USA cars ??

So, when ever my lights are on, the drivers side tail light has the OUTER MOST LED
( of the 3 ) is lit bright red. When I use the left turn signal the inboard and middle LED's sequence but
again the outer LED stays lit bright red.

I took it to the dealer and they updated and reprogrammed the BCM. That fix lasted a week. I'll be taking the
car back to the dealer but I need.......

H-E-L-P

Thanks!
Soooo, I took the 'Stang to the dealer again today for the left tail light NOT sequencing properly. They are now saying that the BCMB is defective because it will not properly accept the re-programming. They are going to Fed Ex a new BCMB overnight. Interestingly, the car has never spit out a code.

The service adviser knows I'm anal about the car and he understands. He offered to keep the car inside overnight even BEFORE I asked.
We'll see what happens!!!

OP
OP
ezracer

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys, I need some help. I've done a search on USA sequential tail light problems to no avail.
I find issues with the European cars and after market units like Raxiom but what about
USA cars ??

So, when ever my lights are on, the drivers side tail light has the OUTER MOST LED
( of the 3 ) is lit bright red. When I use the left turn signal the inboard and middle LED's sequence but
again the outer LED stays lit bright red.

I took it to the dealer and they updated and reprogrammed the BCM. That fix lasted a week. I'll be taking the
car back to the dealer but I need.......

H-E-L-P

Thanks!

HEY, I"M A HAPPY GUY!! Tail light fixed. :clap:

**BCM was programmed several times...no luck!!
**Ordered new BCM..programmed several times...no luck!!
**Ordered "NEW" tail light...........problem FIXED!

Sooo, it's clear to me that the 'Sequencing Brain' is in the circuitry inside of the tail light.
The BCM then generates a signal to the light to operate.

I spent more than I wanted but it is fixed. There was N/C for the new BCM. Tailight was $850 but they
worked with me to get it to $600. E-bay has them new for $450 but I'd already been without the car for
3 days and was having withdrawal symptoms. All I care is it is fixed. The dealer gets 5 stars from me.
(total $900...I don't care )

:rockon:

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Just saw my driver side middle bar is doing this. Three months out of warranty. Fml.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ezracer

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much does it cost to program the bcmb?
It cost me $114 however the reflash only lasted a few days. Eventually replaced the tail light.

OP
OP
ezracer

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just saw my driver side middle bar is doing this. Three months out of warranty. Fml.
I'll bet you a dozen donuts that you'll need to replace the tail light. $250 used on Ebay. $460 new on Ebay. Or, pay Ford $860.
MAYBE a BCMB re-flash will work...dunno. Didn't work in my case.

OP
OP
ezracer

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad that worked for you!! :like:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Programming a taillight... now I've heard it all. They could have accomplished the same thing with a hardwired solid state circuit.
Sponsored