Sponsored

Senior S550 Owners Like Black Wheels?

Deleted member 35786

If I was to get any wheels it would be these, Konig Oversteer in Opal color.
konig-oversteer-opal.png
Sponsored

Grayden4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grayden
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT/CS, 2011 F350, 2019 Mustang GT PPL2
My 2019 GT is the first car I have owned with dark wheels, and I'm still not used to them. I don't dislike them, but I'm not a fan yet. And yes, I am considered "old".

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
My 2019 GT is the 1st car I have owned w/dark wheels, & I'm still not used to them. I don't dislike them, but I'm not a fan yet. And, yes, I am considered "old".
Don't sweat the small stuff. I have a silver '98 & preferred silver Cobra wheels on that car. However, the 2019 is magnetic (charcoal) &, IMO, looked better w/the Dark Tarnish wheels. Of all the options out there for your Mustang, wheels are, w/out a doubt, the most plentiful in terms of design & color. There is no doubt that you will find exactly what you want on your Mustang when the time comes. :like:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Although I grew up when chrome and polished aluminum were the wheels to own (54), with the minimal chrome on the GT I prefer black.

My 05' Frontier was black with the generic silver painted wheels and Discount scratched them. I said they could replace them with factory or choose a cheaper option and install some AR chrome wheels, they opted for the AR wheels and it looked great in this case being the Frontier had a lot of chrome, big bumper, grill and rear bumper.

My 2500HD had UGLY factory silver painted wheels and I initially looked at black but could not do it an chose an AR wheel in machined aluminm with a little black and thought it looked ugly after ony a year, I could not wait to get the current wheels.

I like black, chrome and polished aluminum but it depends on the vehicle.

I would like to install MRR 350's when the Pilot Sports are worn out. I like the more open look, it's less busy than the PP1 wheels and they will be far easier to clean.

47942262262_8c35ab2cf6_b.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so there is no separate senior folder yet (and maybe there will never be), but this question is targeted at 50 and up owners. Do you like black wheels? It's fairly obvious they are more popular with the younger crowd.

[...]

What do you think of them? :)

I was only 69 when I got my first set of black wheels—Parnelli Jones Saleens powder-coated. That was where I learned that clay-barring them made a lot of difference. And that I liked the sort of carefree feeling of the silver on the black 2006 car, but not as well as I liked the somber, potent feel of black-on-black:
Mustang2006MtSoledadHighViewsTwoColorsOfWheels.jpg
Mustang2006SpringFlowersSilverWheels.jpg

The 2008 black convertible isn't represented because it was essentially the same as the 2006. The white 2009 looked good with any wheels, but pretty contemporary with black (I was 72).
Mustang2009BlackWheelsMtSoledadHighView.jpg
Mustang2009MtSoledadHighViewSilverWheels.jpg
LFV_896_1536.jpg

It's pretty clear the 2013 coupe with black wheels was an imposing piece of work, but it looked good with silver, as well. I painted the blue circle on one rim, to see if I liked it; I did, but not enough to do all four right then. (I'm contemplating such a mod on the current Yellow Car's black wheels). 2014 was similar, but convertible.
Mustang2013MtSoledadHighViewBlackWheels.jpg
Mustang2013MtSoledadSemiHighViewSilverWheels.jpg
Mustang2013BlackWheelWithBlueRing.jpg

Mustang2014MtSoledadHighViewBlackWithSilverRingWheels.jpg
Mustang2014MtSoledadSemiHighViewBlackWheels.jpg

Yellow Car came with PP1 black, which I don't dislike enough to change, so far (I was 81).
Mustang2018Cuyamaca.jpg

I must mention my silver=ring fetish that began in 1960 or so, and seems to have petered out at about the time of the Mustang advent.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I don't like black wheels or black cars since I noticed my first black car in the '50s.

Black obscures much of the design of cars, wheels and many other things. I don't mind black on a car or wheel I don't care for the design in the first place. Keeps me from noticing the design flaws.

The only black 4 wheeled vehicle I've ever bought was a Syclone in '91. Only color they came in. I've never owned black wheels. Closest was a 2011 Performance Pack Mustang which came with black trim around machined face on the spokes and rim.

Only black motorcycles were my wife's and even then it was because we had matching models that only came in two colors with black being one.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
55 here, and to me, it depends on the color - lighter colors look good with black wheels, darker colors look better with silver wheels. I just like the contrast, I guess.

chohan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT, 301a, 10r80
As a teenager back in the late 70s, I remember spending hours polishing the Cragars on my '69 Mach 1.

These days I lean toward the darkside.
Simple 5 spoke satin black.

2019-05-28 17.04.30.jpg

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
I'm knocking on 50's door so felt I could throw my 2 cents in. I'm not opposed to black wheels and like they way they look paired with many Mustang colors but for me that was just the problem. Black wheels are EVERYWHERE these days (especially the PP1 wheels) and I just didn't want a car that looked similar to so many others. So I paid more to get the upgraded PP1 wheels. I initially thought I might powder coat them a metallic gray similar to the PP2 wheels because I'm not a fan of bright silver or chrome wheels but they've really grown on me and I have no plans to touch them. That said, eventually I will get another set of wheels which will definitely be either a dark gray or hey maybe even black but they'd be very different than the PP1 wheels. Thinking 6GR 7's or 10's.

Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 60 and can say it all depends on the color and style of both the car and the wheel.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Love black wheels. Can’t stand chrome wheels.

Just remembered I painted my American Racing wheels black on my 69.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
I have hit 51 this year.
I really like black/silver combination on my pearl white DS-5.

DSC14582.JPG

But there is nothing better then silver for this new beauty:

DSC08186.JPG
Sponsored