Sponsored

Selling Mustang for Jeep?

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Only you can decide what you need. If you do a lot of outdoorsy stuff, some form of 4wd vehicle is probably best, but I think there are better options than Jeep unless you just like the brand. Are you going to do serious off roading, or just the occasional dirt road to a camp site? If the answer is the latter, any AWD vehicle will do. Get something cheap and used that you don't feel bad getting dirty or scratched up a bit. Vehicles that are good for hard off-road work have serious compromises on-road.

Jeep people are quite irrational about their love of Jeeps, but whatever floats your boat. Mustang people can be irrational about their love of Mustangs.
Sponsored

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Very tough choice. I grew up with Jeeps, spending most weekends four wheeling out in the desert or mountains. The last Jeep I had, I sold about 7 years ago. I still regret that decision to this day. Jeeps are so much fun to drive. I used to go up to the National Park's near me with the soft top off and doors off. It was pretty nice. On the flip side, the new Mustang's are pretty fun to drive as well. I'm coming from a Focus ST and I had a blast driving that on mountain roads and along the Big Sur coast.

It's hard for me to say which way to go since I have a 4x4 F-150 I use for camping and other outdoor activities, plus a Mustang that's arriving any day now. If there is a way you can get the best of both worlds, I would do that. The other suggestions of buying both used is a good idea. A co worker of mine just bought a used 4 door Sahara and he loves it. As far as Jeep reliability goes, I've never had any issues with any of the Jeeps I've owned. Only things I had issues with were from me breaking things on tough off road trails.

dsmacey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I have had a 1997 Wrangler, a 2002 Wrangler and a 2009 Wrangler. All soft tops, all with half doors and plastic zip window uppers.

I loved my Jeeps. Never had any problems with any of them, and all were bought used.

The tops are a bit of a hassle, but not too bad when you get used to them. Even then, 10 mins to put them up or down properly. And if you go with half doors, you need to keep the uppers in the Jeep if you think you will need to put the top up (rain, rare around here lol!).

Fun to drive around town, not so fun on a freeway, great out in the desert.

But one caution. You will not park it with the top down, then put the top up so go in to a store or something. It is just too much of a hassle. So you can really leave nothing valuable, ever, in a soft top keep.

Even with the top up, it is NOT secure at all. Anyone can unzip rear or side windows in seconds and open the doors. Period.

So if you ever, say, Park it at the airport overnight or for a few days, expect someone will break in (since really there is no breaking to do). So you just learn to live with the fact you can never leave anything in it. Even the locking center console can just be popped open easily enough.

If you will never have anyone in the back, remove the seat and set it in the corner of the garage.

All that being said, I loved my jeeps. I wish I still had one, but I already have a FX4 and convertible mustang, so really no need for one nor the garage space.

Last edited:

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
New Cherokee has top of line 2.0L Turbo with more tq than the 3.2 V6, but reports are saying it only gets maybe 1 mpg better, but must use premium gas vs the available 3.2 NA I think new Wrangler does offer the new Hurricane engine as the Cherokee does. Some are reporting that the new 2.0 Turbo responds so much better with the 9 speed, but not much about if the reliability of the 9 speed ever improved.

Last edited:

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
I test drove the new JL Rubicon, awesome vehicle, interior better than the Mustang! They also hold their value well. My beater is a 2001 4Runner. I traded a 2014 4Runner sport for my previous Mustang, amazing vehicle but it bored me to death. Rubicon would probably do the same.

Sponsored

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to think about is that Jeeps have an amazing resale.

Squamish

Why the hell not!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500, Jeep Rubicon, and Lincoln Continental
I have had 3 Wranglers over the years, and all were fun and reliable, albeit crude and under powered. My current 2013 Rubicon has been problem free, and I won't be selling it any time soon.
Now my shopping is for a new Mustang, which is why I joined here. Been car shopping and likely after some looking for a car, its going to be a GT Mustang.
My first post here by the way.
Thanks for having me.
OP, look into a used Jeep, and get the car to. Totally opposite uses, so both is best.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So getting a Jeep will eliminate getting speeding tickets?

LMAO....

What will eliminate speeding tickets is the mentality of the person driving X-vehicle - and I’m NOT trying to be harsh or offend you at all. Just saying, you buy and drive what will make you 100% happy, but it’s not gonna matter if it’s a Jeep or even a Porsche, they can all go above the posted speed limits... IF you make ‘em...

:)

—-

I did the Mustang to a Jeep thing for similar reasons, liked the Off Road capabilities, soft top and half doors, ruggedness, lift, etc... I traded a very clean/modded 1986 GT T-top in on a then new, fully optioned out 1992 Wrangler, 5spd with the 4.0.

Yes, Jeeps and their suspension, driving characteristics and aesthetics have improved immensely since 1992, but - let me tell you that I regretted that decision within 2 months of Jeep ownership. Yes, it was a “fun” ride, it performed and did as expected, it had a decent amount of power for an in-line 6 (of the time) - but it was NOT a daily driver for ME. Too short of a wheel base creates a lot of harshness for daily driving (for some people), especially when daily driving is over 40-50 miles per day. The other turn offs was the wind noise from the soft top, trying to warm up the interior in the cold weather and for a 92 model, there was no secure interior storage options from prying eyes (or hands).

In less than 6mos of ownership, I traded it back in at another Dealership for a fully loaded 1992 Mustang GT... never looked back at wanting to or buying another Jeep Wrangler, not for a daily driver.

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
Another thing to think about is that Jeeps have an amazing resale.
Jeeps drive Consumer Reports magazine crazy. They knock them for everything, especially in safety areas, but they're about the only thing holding FCA together. To satisfy demand, they're cutting back on car production to build Jeeps. Resale value is incredible, something Mustang can only dream of. I have a 2013 Wrangler Sahara 2 door. Has the 285HP V/6. I've had zero problems with it.

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
If money isn't a purchase issue and with how you explained your lifestyle I'd go Wrangler if Mustang and Wrangler were your only two choices. Everything I've read/seen is that the new JL is much improved even over the most recent JK.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Happiness is both! :) OP, you sound more like a Jeep is the ticket.

I DD a '13 Wrangler Sahara 2-door, which is my 4th Wrangler (2 TJs, 2 JKs). I absolutely love it despite the Wrangler quirks - they're definitely not for everyone. A couple of my buddies that have been in it a few times don't understand the fascination.

As for reliability, I dumped my '12 JK at the seven month mark because it was such a glitch-laden POS that I wanted nothing to do with it once the warranty was up and looking at it just pissed me off. I gave Jeep one last try with my '13, which I ordered. Within the first 45K miles it's been in for coolant sediment issues and a fairly substantial timing cover oil leak. I'm a small sample size, but issues 2-for-2 stand out versus other things I've owned...

Like others have said, the great thing about Wranglers is the resale value. My '13 Jeep value is within spitting distance of my '15 Mustang, and the Jeep has ~10X the miles. It nearly cost me nothing to drive my '12 JK the short time I did because I bought it right and the trade allowance was so high. Try that with most anything else.

The new Wranglers are awesome, but pricing on the new JLs is off the rails, IMO, so if the new Bronco is all that and undercuts Wrangler in price it will likely be my next DD in a few years.

richtor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Jeep all day everyday! The only negative with the Jeep is the crummy mpg if you drive a lot. I drove my 12 2dr rubi 2.5 years and 70k miles. Sold it for something more affordable. I still miss it. The mustang is way too expensive for what it is. $55k? Why so you can sell it for $20k in 2+ years. It’s crazy. For the same money get a used JK Rubi for $30k and $20 Fiesta ST, which I find more fun to drive than the s550 mustang gt.

Get the hard top, much nicer. Freedom panels come off/on in 5 min.
59AD6C08-9009-4C58-AFC7-3C1687E93FDE.jpeg
3BBB7A2E-2F4A-4996-B352-3295C7E2B5C2.jpeg

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Why not do both of money isn’t an issue. Keep the V6 and find a 2012+ Wrangler. In my area 2 door soft tops start around $22-25k depending on mileage and features. Figure you’d be spending that trying to upgrade to a new GT.

I love having 2 cars. I’ve got a 16 GT and a 14 Ram RCSB. Do most of my driving around in the Ram and use the mustangs on the weekends and stuff.

OP
OP

samlee27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Why not do both of money isn’t an issue. Keep the V6 and find a 2012+ Wrangler. In my area 2 door soft tops start around $22-25k depending on mileage and features. Figure you’d be spending that trying to upgrade to a new GT.

I love having 2 cars. I’ve got a 16 GT and a 14 Ram RCSB. Do most of my driving around in the Ram and use the mustangs on the weekends and stuff.
Would definitley just get both but I live in Northern VA where property taxes and insurance would kill me having two cars :(

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Would definitley just get both but I live in Northern VA where property taxes and insurance would kill me having two cars :(
It’s the same to spend $45k on one car. Or keep your $20k car and buy a $25k Jeep. Your insurance cost per car drops when you have 2 cars. I was paying about $120/month when I just had my Mustang and when I added the truck my rate went to $160 for both. Although my registration costs went up but they are due at different times so it’s no big deal.
Sponsored