Sponsored

Selling Mustang for Jeep?

samlee27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Hey everyone! So I have a 2017 Mustang V6 which I am selling and I currently have a 2018 GT Premium on order. However, I realized now that I’m at a point where I’m changing my car, I have to reconsider my lifestyle. I go fishing a lot, enjoy open air experience, and cruising. I didn’t get to test drive a Jeep, but I’ve driven some in the past and from what I can rememberit was fun to drive as well. Also got a few tickets in my car and can’t expect how many more I will get in a GT with almost 160 more horsepower. At this point, money is not an issue to me. So what, cancel the order and pick up a Jeep Wrangler or stick with the GT Premium? Any former or current Jeep owners can share their experiences?
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone! So I have a 2017 Mustang V6 which I am selling and I currently have a 2018 GT Premium on order. However, I realized now that I’m at a point where I’m changing my car, I have to reconsider my lifestyle. I go fishing a lot, enjoy open air experience, and cruising. I didn’t get to test drive a Jeep, but I’ve driven some in the past and from what I can rememberit was fun to drive as well. Also got a few tickets in my car and can’t expect how many more I will get in a GT with almost 160 more horsepower. At this point, money is not an issue to me. So what, cancel the order and pick up a Jeep Wrangler or stick the the GT Premium? Any former or current Jeep owners can share their experiences?
I have two friends that have jeeps a wrangler and a Cherokee nothing but electrical problems

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Get a beater then wait till the new bronco is out.

OP
OP

samlee27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Get a beater then wait till the new bronco is out.
Would do that but with the direction Ford has been going recently, I wouldn't want a Bronco if it was powered by an Ecoboost engine and an automatic transmission. Especially unsure if they’re even going to have a ragtop option that can easily be folded down like a Jeep.

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
I have jeep Wrangler Rubicon I love it for what I do with it. Gravel roads and out at the farm. The top for me is not that easy. Not a good every day driver, no room, solid axles and they don't drive any thing like my F150 4X4. My friend had a Wrangler Unlimited I rode about 100 miles in the back seat very bad!
To me a lot of money for very old technology. Get a cheap used Explorer a much better car.
Lee

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro. Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. I would choose either of these over a Jeep any day. The Taco is made in Texas. The 4R is made in Japan. Numbers 1 and 2 in resale value overall. Extremely capable offroad and very high quality. If you don't want the PRO versions, they have others. The TRD line with the exception of the TRD sport Taco all have a locking rear diff and a neat electronic offroad mode that diverts traction to the tires that need it via brake actuation. I often regret getting rid of mine...

I do have an old school square body Jeep Cherokee XJ that I beat on, but that's really an AMC and not a Chrysler product since AMC were the ones that developed it before Chrysler acquired them.

OP
OP

samlee27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
All great suggestions, but I’m pretty much set on either the GT or the Jeep because of the soft top and manual.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
I'll chime in since at my old job I got to drive a LOT of Jeeps....to the Jeep dealer....for having problems. Miscellaneous random stuff, a lot of it was leaks, or non-working electrical components, and most frequently was the automatic transmissions. Though keep in mind a lot of them were Compass, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, because we had very few Wranglers, and most people bought the first three I mentioned as opposed to the Wranglers which sat for a while.

The manual transmissions were OK, super tall gearing (or at least it felt like that), and reverse doesn't have a syncro so it's not uncommon to grind when trying to get it in reverse. Pretty easy to drive either way. Clutch is kind of vague feeling.

Interior feels kind of cramped for how big they are. I felt more comfortable in my Mustang than the Wranglers (opinion).

Can't say I came across many that had engine issues so I think you're good there, the V6 is pretty solid, kind of weak, but I wasn't expecting anything in that department anyways.

No personal experience with this, but the rear diff would be something to research, my neighbor's gave out pretty early so that was a complaint of his. But he abused his and took it off-road a lot.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
It's also a brand new Wrangler this year, though I've no idea on availability of the new ones.

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I went the other way. I sold my jeep and bought a mustang.

I have owned 5 jeeps (only wrangles) since my 98. Other then leaks I haven't had any real problems. The tops are a pain in the butt to take off. The soft tops are a little easier, but still it's a chore.

The SWB 2 door jeeps ride awful but the 4dr models are a lot better but still pretty far behind almost everything else on the road. It's all due to the solid axles and the trade off for off-road capabilities.

If you are considering used you should look for a low mile 04-06 extended 2door. It's much more of a jeep then the new ones and the ride is actually better then the new 2dr because of the longer wheelbase. They have been going up in value and will always have a following.

The biggest thing going to jeeps is they hold their value better then anything else on the road.

I have a Tacoma for a DD otherwise I might get tempted to get another wrangler. But my taco rides night as day better then any wrangler and I don't crawl so it's offroads just as well too.

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I've got a 2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon and a 2015 GT Premium, both loaded. I bought them both used and have about $60k in the pair. I have built and priced a loaded 2018 new body style JL Unlimited Rubicon and a 2018 GT Premium only, both come out to $56K. I would rather have the two used than choose only one brand new.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on you honestly and what makes you happy. My Wife owns a 16 4 door Sahara and she loves it. It's never had the top down and never been in 4WD. But they are easy to drive, no blind spots with a great turning radius. That thing will not get out of its own way and I guess most Wranglers won't. I use to drive her previous Jeep when I just had a Mustang but I bought a New F150 Super Crew and I hate driving her Jeep now. It's a rather tight and confined cab IMO. Go test drive one before you make any judgement calls. They are awesome when done up right and alot of fun can be had in them.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon and a 2015 GT Premium, both loaded. I bought them both used and have about $60k in the pair. I have built and priced a loaded 2018 new body style JL Unlimited Rubicon and a 2018 GT Premium only, both come out to $56K. I would rather have the two used than choose only one brand new.

This :cheers:

GT6555

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2, Lightning Blue
My DD is a 2014 Cherokee. Never had a problem.
Sponsored