Scratch on Driver's Side Window

Grettman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 Mustang GT PP1
I made a light, but long, scratch on the outside of the driver's side window of my Mustang 2020 GT. It seems I used a microfiber that was imbedded with something hard. Very frustrating. The scratch doesn't seem to be deep because I can't feel it when I glide my finger over it and my nail doesn't catch on it. However, I can't get ride of it. I used a very fine polish which didn't help.

What do you suggest I do? I didn't even know glass scratched that easily. Argh!
Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I lived with a large scratch for years on a car driver's side window. Never found a cure. Hope you have better luck than I did

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Damn cheap glass on cars anymore. They can make an iphone screen that is damn near scratch proof, but a piece of auto glass gets scratched by some invisible piece of sand?

I actually got extra windshield protection from the dealer when I bought mine.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I made a light, but long, scratch on the outside of the driver's side window of my Mustang 2020 GT. It seems I used a microfiber that was imbedded with something hard. Very frustrating. The scratch doesn't seem to be deep because I can't feel it when I glide my finger over it and my nail doesn't catch on it. However, I can't get ride of it. I used a very fine polish which didn't help.

Glass doesn’t scratch that easily. You had to be pressing pretty hard to accomplish this. You had to feel it.

Can you post a pic so we can see the damage?

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Scratch the passenger side window to match and live with it?? 🤣

Maybe one of those windshield repair guys knows a trick to get it out. I would be careful trying to "fix" it with a polisher and compound, you might end up making things worse.

OP
OP

Grettman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks for the replies. I am sure it isn't on the tint because the tint was replaced after the scratch happened. Short story - I wanted to eliminate the tint as the culprit so I had it replaced under warranty (tint had a defec
IMG_1413.jpg
t anyway). Here is a pic.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks for the replies. I am sure it isn't on the tint because the tint was replaced after the scratch happened. Short story - I wanted to eliminate the tint as the culprit so I had it replaced under warranty (tint had a defec
IMG_1413.jpg
t anyway). Here is a pic.
Try this product and if it does not work... crud you may need to take it to a pro detailer and see if they can do anything or if it's going to require a new window.

First pass with microfiber
https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-09224-Racing-Rubber-Remover/dp/B005R5WGCS
Second pass using
any detailer spray with a new microfiber to dilute the first pass smudges you'll likely get

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Glass is an incredibly hard material and generally takes a more aggressive approach when it comes to correcting defects. A fine polish wont even touch something like that, as you discovered.

I would be attacking it with some CarPro CeriGlass, ideally with a Rayon glass pad on a machine. If you don't have a machine, CarPro sell CeriGlass in kit form that includes a hand polishing pad. These pads are much, much thinner than regular polishing pads and are designed to offer more aggression and lower heat generation.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

Make sure you have a look at some video's before you get started. With a machine, make sure you don't focus on one spot for too long to prevent heat build up, although if done by hand it's pretty safe.

In this video, they do mention CeriGlass being very aggressive, especially on more modern glass. However, you have already tried something mild, my guess is you need the aggression. If you are left with some hazing, finish off with you light polish compound.

I hope all that wasn't too technical, it sounds more daunting than it actually is.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Damn cheap glass on cars anymore. They can make an iphone screen that is damn near scratch proof, but a piece of auto glass gets scratched by some invisible piece of sand?

Why, your insurance has glass coverage.

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.

Why, your insurance has glass coverage.

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
You can call a local glass company, they all have the ability to polish out light scratches. They do it all the time.
It aint that easy and you can damage the glass if you do it incorrectly.

Better to pay them a little bit, I doubt they would charge more than $50 if it is a light scratch. Probably do it in 10-15 minutes while you wait.
Sponsored