Sponsored

Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Right, we need to fear god or else! I am soooo scared. if there was a such a god, I'd spit in "his" eye for being such an asshole and fuckup.

And yes, I have studied the bible and I didn't skim past the old testament. I actually went to a Jesuit college.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Iā€™m not sure exactly, and Iā€™m comfortable with not having an exact answer. However, thereā€™s many religions that pre-date the Abrahamic religions and plenty of saviours that pre-date Jesus. They were also born of a virgin yada yada...the concept was hardly novel by any means.
Name one.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Did some quick searching and I find nowhere does it claim he was born of a Virgin. Also I find no refrence that he predated the God of the Old Testiment. In fact the only time refrence was to the 5th century.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
What you are missing is all these so called gods you point to are born or appear after man has been here. The God of the old and new testament pre dates the earth.

Jesus is the Son of this God.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The mocking happens when people, such as yourself, don't understand the basics of the scientific method presume to tell those that do how science works. Case in point your use of the word theory.

Theory does not mean a speculative guess. In science, it means something much different. A scientific theory is a well established explanation of scientific data that has been repeatedly tested and verified using the scientific method. Scientific theories must be testable and falsifiable. They also must be supported by numerous independent evidence. They can also be used to predict events that have yet to occur.

The novice often equates the term theory to something that can be easily discounted (after all, it isn't proven!) and countered with every screw-ball idea that comes down the pike based on nothing.

A scientific theory isn't a bad thing and should be thought of more in terms of "laws". They are indeed what we use to predict things and we use them as such (like laws) until proved otherwise. The Theory of Relativity works. It has been tested over and over and over. We can actually see it's effects with our own eyes. Time dilation has been tested and is a real thing.

Religion is the antithesis of scientific theory. You must suspend reason to have faith in something.

FAITH is what has destroyed the most and must be eschewed at every chance.
Theories and laws are not at all the same. Earth's climate is a more complex system than people give it credit for being. Scientific theories about how much warming will happen, how much is human affected vs other causes, etc. are NOT settled.

You cannot take a current climate model, start in the past with conditions at that time and accurately predict everything that happened between then and now. The models aren't good enough, we don't know enough, we don't have enough information yet.

I really don't have an objection to how scientists are treating their theories. My objection is to how politicians and huge multi-national corporations are abusing the theories.

I hate when people say this. I don't need the threat of god or the promise of some sort of heaven to be considered a good person and to 'behave'.

How crass.
It's funny that you think of the Christian God as being threatening. When I think of Christianity I think of the golden rule and being humble. I aspire to Christian values because I think the bible is full of great advice about how to live your life. It has nothing to do with a stick or a carrot.

Threads like this are funny.... idiots on both sides puking out their bumper sticker talking points as if... one day, just one day, the person they are arguing with will somehow miraculous say "Oh my, I never thought of that... You have completely changed my mind and realize I have been incorrect".
You're right that it's mostly foolish to think that someone will listen. But I do admit that I tend to be foolish. I for one do actually read what others say at least until that point where I decide I know them well enough that they aren't going to teach me something valuable.

You seem to have this slightly backwards.
You're assuming that humans didnā€™t have the capacity for empathy prior to the invention of organised religion.
Have you considered the possibility that religion simply took basic human nature and formalised it and somewhat fucked it up along the way?
Ever wondered why Jesus needed to come back and explain the rules that had slightly changed?
Doesnā€™t seem all that consistent with the work of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being.
Youā€™d think this god might have got it right in the first instance...

My morals donā€™t come from a god.
They stem from a fundamental understanding of the impact of my behaviour on others.
People who lack this are generally known as psychopaths or sociopaths (to a lesser extent).
Notice how they arenā€™t described as ā€œgodlessā€?

Any species that lacks this ability, is going to struggle to survive for any extended period of time.

Itā€˜s basically the anthropic principle.
A society that lacks empathy wonā€™t exist, and therefore wonā€™t be asking such questions.
The bible is a book of theology written by people. Every person has a different take on things. I don't really understand those that talk as if the bible is God's word straight from God's mouth. It seems naive to me, especially from someone who says they don't believe in God. You and I know that there's no surprise that the old and new testaments are different. They were written by different people at different times.

I agree 100% people can get by on empathy and thinking for themselves. However, my opinion is that wise people are interested in taking advice from others and considering that advice as well as their own thoughts. My opinion is that the bible has a lot of great advice on how to live life. Whether or not you believe in God, a lot of the advice is good.

*facepalms repeatedly

Good scientists are sceptical of EVERY claim. The difference is, they go and learn more when they donā€™t understand. Oh, and they PROVE their ideas, rather than just spit-balling. So thereā€™s that....
Itā€™s a shame you donā€™t apply the same scepticism to the religion your parents/peers/social network provided you with.
Ever wondered why youā€™re not a Muslim?
I agree that good scientists are sceptical. Especially when there's big money involved, I get very sceptical. I wouldn't say I'm a scientist, but I do run tests, analyze them and iterate to improve products at work. So I spend a fair amount of time trying hard to be open minded.

Last edited:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you are missing is all these so called gods you point to are born or appear after man has been here. The God of the old and new testament pre dates the earth.

What about the holy ghost??????

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep. Way tougher than some imaginary magician. So I am a narcissist becasue I am not a believer? Mmm-kay.

No questions from me, thanks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

For some reason you keep assuming that your apparent ignorance is a weapon.
For simplicity, Iā€™m going to share a video that fairly accurately depicts what we know about the history of the bible and other religious/sacred texts.

For brevity, Iā€™d suggest you skip to around the 4.00 mark.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
There is no way to prove a negative.

You cannot prove there is no god. I, or anyone else, cannot prove there is.

Some read the bible, look at the earth and the way it works and believe, some look at the exact same things and do not.

Either can be correct.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The only religion that believes their book was Gods word directly is Islam.

Christian Bible is a bunch of books written by men. You know men with names, Luke, Daniel, John ect......

The books written by them tell the story of Jesus in their own words.

I've read the Old testament and dismiss it due to it being superseded.
The rules changed.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
There is no way to prove a negative.

You cannot prove there is no god. I, or anyone else, cannot prove there is.

Some read the bible, look at the earth and the way it works and believe, some look at the exact same things and do not.

Either can be correct.
Indeed, we canā€™t prove that something doesnā€™t exist.

So, why donā€™t you believe that a unicorn that has always existed and lives outside of time and space, farted the universe into existence.

Thatā€˜s an equally valid theory is it not?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)