Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
For what this is worth...

One of the car magazine testers used to post on this forum and he compared the M235i vs '15 GT PP as he had just drove them back to back (I think within a couple days of each other). He chose the '15GT PP hands down. Said the Mustang was the clear winner. Again, this is his opinion:D

I will try and find that post but not sure I can. This was a few months ago when the testing was done.
Alex Nunez with R&T. :) love that guy's review. He said the M235i was too sterile by comparison, exactly my thoughts.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
For what this is worth...

One of the car magazine testers used to post on this forum and he compared the M235i vs '15 GT PP as he had just drove them back to back (I think within a couple days of each other). He chose the '15GT PP hands down. Said the Mustang was the clear winner. Again, this is his opinion:D

I will try and find that post but not sure I can. This was a few months ago when the testing was done.
I want to say it was Rob Nunez from R&T. I think if you look up their Performance Car of the Year testing you will find his sentiments in the article (maybe not those exact words). Of course you'll also find the words from one of the other writers who said that driving the Mustang on the track felt like driving his mom's Taurus, so :shrug:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...5-road-and-track-performance-car-of-the-year/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...t-should-the-2015-mustang-gt-have-been-pcoty/

Of course now I can't find exactly what I remember seeing back then either.

As far as the original question goes, I'm a sucker for normally aspirated engines. I would go with a Mustang GT over the M235i. My mods would be more suspension and weight related instead of adding a S/C. I might do intake/exhaust as well.

-T

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They're different cars. The GT has way more character, but I'd be lying if I said I felt as confident driving it as I did the M235i. The 2er has better sight lines and a smaller foot print. It might not post better recorded stats, but I would feel more comfortable pushing it on a back road. Putting the two cars together, I bet they'd stay neck and neck just from the added confidence.

With that said, it's kind of sterile. You'd have to be pushing it hard to have near as much fun as you would driving mildly spirited in the GT.
Several on here that have added Steeda Sport springs have noted significant increases in their confidence while pushing the car. Sources tell me the late MY15 and later cars will be better here.

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2010 ford escape
Several on here that have added Steeda Sport springs have noted significant increases in their confidence while pushing the car. Sources tell me the late MY15 and later cars will be better here.

Hmm... So would it be worth waiting a few more months before ordering?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Alex Nunez with R&T. :) love that guy's review. He said the M235i was too sterile by comparison, exactly my thoughts.
Thank you:cheers:
I want to say it was Rob Nunez from R&T. I think if you look up their Performance Car of the Year testing you will find his sentiments in the article (maybe not those exact words). Of course you'll also find the words from one of the other writers who said that driving the Mustang on the track felt like driving his mom's Taurus, so :shrug:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...5-road-and-track-performance-car-of-the-year/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...t-should-the-2015-mustang-gt-have-been-pcoty/

Of course now I can't find exactly what I remember seeing back then either.

As far as the original question goes, I'm a sucker for normally aspirated engines. I would go with a Mustang GT over the M235i. My mods would be more suspension and weight related instead of adding a S/C. I might do intake/exhaust as well.

-T
Thank you:cheers:

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Sources tell me the late MY15 and later cars will be better here.
Oh boy...spill those beans! Any more details you can share? Better shock dampening?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have specifics, but some of the early (minor) criticisms with the tuning will be better in late MY15 cars and the MY16s even better still.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm... So would it be worth waiting a few more months before ordering?
If you can wait for the 2016s, do it, but if you order a 2015 late next month or into March you should get some improvements. I don't know for sure when the changes come.

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
Stock for stock I prefer the 235i to the GTPP. But if I was looking to mod either car I would definitely go with the GT.

Boss Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C43C
The tuned m235i is pretty impressive but compared to a SC 5.0 you will likely be left wanting more.

Sponsored
OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2010 ford escape
I don't have specifics, but some of the early (minor) criticisms with the tuning will be better in late MY15 cars and the MY16s even better still.
Bmac,

Can you give any more info about this yet?

I was just re-reading this thread as I hadn't actually test driven the M235i when I first started this thread.

I did test drive one last week, and I have to be honest, I really like it. I went into it thinking I wouldn't. I already had decided it was boring-looking (not ugly) and that the interior was super yawn. Surprisingly, I really everything about it performance-wise, and I could appreciate the interior for what it was and how it fit with the car as a package.

I really didn't like how boring the instrument cluster is, the lack of lighting like in the Mustang, and how a lot of things that should be standard in a car that starts at 45,000 are not, like back-up camera, some enhanced USB/bluetooth option. Cooled seats are not available at all.

However, I am now having a real hard time deciding between these two cars especially since now that it is warm, I am already seeing at least 2-3 new Mustangs on the road every time I go out.

hangover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M235i or S550 cant decide !!!
Price - If you factor in cost many of us can get exactly the 5.0 MT PP we want for $7,500-$10,000 less than an M235i MT LSD. That alone turns most off to the BMW. BUT:

Performance - 5.0 by a slightest.
Looks - Both look GREAT.
Wheels - I personally love the PP rims. I really like the M235i wheel also.
Motors - Coyote has been so much fun just a great, moddable, reliable, and amazing small block V8! N55 a techological marvel with gobs of low end torque. Both great.
Handling - M235i is smaller, flickable, advantage there to Bimmer.
Reliability - ANOTHER fuel pump issue just announced by BMW. Ugh.
Feeling special factor - BMW hands down. S550's are EVERYWHERE !!!

For the price of the M235i I could just order a Focus RS and have it all. Except the 5.0.

5.0 wins. Sounds better, looks great, price is right. Ford did a great job !

Boss Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C43C
2016 production will start next month with a potential bump in hp for the m235i. More tuning options become avail every month. Not many m235i's are sitting on dealer lots, if you order at this stage in game, order a 2016

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
I am already seeing at least 2-3 new Mustangs on the road every time I go out.
M235 is exclusive, and front is nice up close, but you can't be sure it is not a Buick until it gets fairly close & from the sides and back it looks like your generic space efficient 2 door.

I had an M235 on order for a month, found out the dealer was lying about having an allotment, cancelled the order and got a Mustang.

Have about 4500 miles on the car now and I think that getting hosed on the M235 order was the greatest piece of dumb luck I have had in my life.

hangover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M235i or S550 cant decide !!!
Wow

"Fifty thousand dollars is a lot of money, even in the post-QE world. If you have that much to burn or borrow, do yourself a favor and get the car that delivers M3-level power and 135i-level driver involvement. It’s called the Ford Mustang GT and you can use the ten grand you’ll have left over to get a nice winter beater. No, the Ford is not the Ultimate Driving Machine — but neither is this."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/04/review-2015-bmw-m235xi/
Sponsored