OP
OP
Spensar

Spensar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Nothing cheater about them. They're definitely slower than Yokos, likely slower than Falkens or Nankangs or about the same.

Direct experience with large size ones from friend's 1/LE.
Looking at the picture there doesnt seem the same. I could also be thinking of a different tire. I just know his tire was half a slick pretty much.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Fantastic time to sell.
*Most* CAM-C cars are daily drivers which are not remotely close to the limits of the rulebook. It's a fun place to run, because you can do pretty much anything you want and the cars are all competitive with each other. Because of the tire rule, excessive power doesn't help lap times, much. In STU, you'll be racing some little Subaru or something which, if driven well, will be seconds faster than the Mustang.

Come to CAM. Have fun. Nobody wants to hang around a "Pro" autocrosser, anyway.

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
*Most* CAM-C cars are daily drivers which are not remotely close to the limits of the rulebook. It's a fun place to run, because you can do pretty much anything you want and the cars are all competitive with each other. Because of the tire rule, excessive power doesn't help lap times, much. In STU, you'll be racing some little Subaru or something which, if driven well, will be seconds faster than the Mustang.

Come to CAM. Have fun. Nobody wants to hang around a "Pro" autocrosser, anyway.
^ this

I'm trying to make a "SRS BSNS" run at FS this year and it's still a lot of fun hanging out with the Camaro guys but most of all my car at least has a chance of running times close to them. The STU cars are all so much lighter than the S550 Mustang that it would be extraordinary to get one competitive there. You can do the same mods or a lot less and be fast in CAM-C and be in a great group. But, bottom line is you gotta do what you want. I built a STU car (08 STI) and it was fun but I'm having a lot more fun with a car that is competitive in it's class now.

Sponsored

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
From 90 to 02 I campaigned a SRS BZNS (to the extent that I could) C Prepared Fox Body. During that time, CP went from 16 cars to over 60 cars at Solo Nationals. It was (and still is) a fun class.

Now coming back to do Autox full time this year and CAM/C reminds me of my days in CP. Including the knuckle dragger references by the people in other classes.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I thought a little more about this. I think CAM guys are naturally kind of hot-rodders. We *want* to mess around with our cars, and we like a lot of power, whether or not it makes us faster on an auto-x course. That's part of our recreation/game.

If you're purely interested in becoming a more competitive driver, I think the best way to go is to get a Miata and run it in the Street class. They're the best thing to use to learn performance/race driving (especially full track). They are the racing 'easy-button.'

Last edited:

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Look man, I’m just in CAM because I enjoy things that are dangerous and stupid. I could take or leave actually working on the car.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Look man, I’m just in CAM because I enjoy things that are dangerous and stupid. I could take or leave actually working on the car.
That's cool, too. I can appreciate that I'm not quite right in the head; it just doesn't bother me, lol!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Miatas and momentum cars, BTDT.

Pony cars have a bigger envelope to play with. Momentum and slow cars are good for teaching many lessons for sure, but you’re missing out on a big chunk of the traction circle and a lot of fun with a car with only 100rwhp

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Miatas and momentum cars, BTDT.

Pony cars have a bigger envelope to play with. Momentum and slow cars are good for teaching many lessons for sure, but you’re missing out on a big chunk of the traction circle and a lot of fun with a car with only 100rwhp
I agree on the fun bit. I enjoy playing with a little more power, but I don't know that we have larger traction circle, just a differently shaped one. They make more lateral and probably beat us in braking. We out accelerate them. It's always interesting to see the difference in line and style between the two.

A Miata would be more fun to drive with ~400 HP, but I don't think it would make it better for driver training. If someone is quick in a Miata, they tend to be able to figure out just about anything in short order. (I've never owned one; just admired the results. Then again, I'm not a very good driver, so...)

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
You're exactly right about the shape of the traction circle. Sometimes a couple of the STS guys will upload their data to the SoloStorm cloud and I'll compare it with mine. They are usually a bunch faster on a typical course but they only accelerate at about .15G where our cars can do .3-.5G depending on the gear. I've experienced this in my CSP car from years ago, the throttle was more of an engine volume knob and I rarely had to worry about wheel spin, and I almost never touched the brake pedal.

Momentum cars are easier to get to position so they don't need to slow down for things like slaloms or offsets due to them being in position and their size. We can gather speed so quickly that we do have to slow for those elements which makes getting position more difficult and we're a lot bigger so we have to move more for transitions. I still prefer the Mustang right now.

And... a Miata with power is a C5/C6 Corvette Z06.

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think it has to do with what you want to do behind the wheel to set a fast time in an Autox. I have driven small cars with no HP and big cars with more HP. HP is more fun and an S550 on an autox course is the ultimate bull in a china shop.
Sponsored