Sponsored

Scam dealership service?

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost

They wanted to charge me 300 dollars for this. Basically oil change, air filter, and a fuel system cleaning. Is this a scam or recommended? I change the filter myself and get the tires rotated, but the other stuff seems a little stupid at 15k.
Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Did you read the manual?

They are trying to pry your cash from your hands.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Go by what the service manual says, which says oil change when the light comes (3-10K). There is no "15K service" per se. A lot of people just go with 5K because it's easy to remember. If you really want to be geeky you can get your oil analyzed by a lab. Dealers push all kinds of extra crap. Many are still pushing 3000 mile oil changes because that's what your daddy did. In any case, $300 for an oil change, multi-point inspection and magical fuel system cleaning juice that you can buy on eBay for $29 is a little steep.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
There's no need for any fuel service, just changing the oil/filter, air filter, and maybe the cabin filter. That should be stuff you do yourself

Sponsored

OP
OP

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
That's what I figured. They offer free oil changes for the life of the car in return, they have to push these services to get that missing revenue back.

Takes about an hour and 30 mins for a "free oil change" .

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
I was told the fuel filter is not serviceable anyways
so what would they even service?

my dealer replaces air filter for free when you get 80$ Canadian oil change done
and even that they tell me I'm not due for an oil change because I like to get them done earlier than the indicator on the dash

tire rotation is free with oil change aswell

OP
OP

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
And re grease the suspension? New mustangs don't even have grease points anyone. They are all enclosed low friction parts!

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Seems like a whole bunch crap just to make it look like they are doing hours upon hours of work. And besides the oil and maybe the wipers, everything else is pointless at 15k miles.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
At 15k, an oil change and air filter change is all you need. I would steer clear of that dealer. If they are willing to cheat on small things they will cheat on the big things.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
And re grease the suspension? New mustangs don't even have grease points anyone. They are all enclosed low friction parts!

Virtually all suspension/chassis wear parts have been sealed units for years. Kinda makes the old offer of Lube/Oil/Filter redundant. Ya don't lube jack anymore!

But customers still fall for it and on the flip side, some customers will demand you lube their suspension even if they don't understand that everything is sealed.

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th
As a dealer service manager for 24 years, I can tell you that NO manufacturer recommends any of the "cleaning" services.....fuel system, induction system, cooling system, etc. In fact, most advise dealers NOT to do these services as they can cause problems with their respective components. And DO NOT allow a transmission flush. I have seen many trannys destroyed by that "service".

Do the oil change, tires rotation, and maybe the air filter.

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP, Guard
Here's an even bigger joke about dealer service.

Since I bought my 2015 GT I have never taken it back to my dealer.
I have been rotating tires myself and getting oil changed every 4000 to 5000 miles with 100% synthetic. Car runs great in my opinion.
I had to get new tires at 24k and got a wheel alignment, at Big O.

I have 30k miles now.
I have an intermittent squeal passenger side front on the Brembos, that just started. And I just now spotted an abnormal wear line in that disk.

So I thought I'd go to dealer and get them to check the brakes and disks.
And at same time do maintenance check 30,000 miles plus the door hinge recall deal if they can do that now.

So he's punching away on the computer and looks up and says it'll run me about $890.

I'm all...what? What all do you do?
So at 30,000 miles he says they change ALL fluid!!
They change manual trans fluid, differential fluid, coolant fluid, brake fluid.
They change air filter, cabin filter, change oil and rotate tires.

I say I already looked at the schedule and it says coolant need not be changed until 100,000 miles and he just looks at me like...ok so?
Then he says they can just do what I want.

But after hearing this crock story I don't think I trust them to do anything on my car.
I think I will check another dealer...
Sponsored